Viewing Review: Almost everything I could want - AVS Forum
Almost everything I could want Edit
by ikkuranus Combined Rating: 3.7
This receiver features 7+1 hdmi inputs with the front supporting mhl, 2 hdmi outputs, many popular streaming services, hdmi upconversion, hdmi arc, 3D passthrough, hdmi standby passthrough, hdmi...
Pros Cons
  • Great sound, Many hdmi inputs, Dual hdmi out, internet and local audio streaming, usb port for ipod/usb drive
  • Finicky with roku streamers, limited upconversion, no processing on zone 2, remote isn't backlit
This receiver features 7+1 hdmi inputs with the front supporting mhl, 2 hdmi outputs, many popular streaming services, hdmi upconversion, hdmi arc, 3D passthrough, hdmi standby passthrough, hdmi instapreview, mp3/ipod connectivity, Androyd/Apple apps, Audyssey dynamic eq, osd in 1080p, and is up to 7.2 channels. The features I find the most useful are:
  1. Audyssey to setup speakers and to enable night mode playback
  2. instapreview is awesome when you have multiple hdmi devices including a cable/sat stb
  3. Although I generally only use Pandora it is nice having the other choices available to stream
  4. I love the app support for smartphones/tablets but unfortunately my ipod touch is too old to use the ios app - I was able to test some of the features with an app designed for older onkyo receivers
  5. having a 2nd hdmi out is really great if you use this for a projector and a flatscreen - note the sub hdmi don't show the osd/gui
The only feature I really don't care about is the hdmi upconversion because it wont work with 480p sources such as nintendo wii or xbox1/ps2.

I currently have this setup as htpc>hdmi>onkyo>hdmi>lcdtv with my nintendo wii directly connected to the tv and using hdmi arc to handle sound from wii/digital ota tv. I used the setup mic to calibrate the speakers. It was very simple just plug in the mic and place it in several seating positions while it does its thing.

The UI pretty straight forward but I suspect that non techy people will prefer to only use net radio and instapreview elements and never touch the setup screen after initial setup. This avr also features a web interface similar to routers where you can manage your streaming credentials and network settings from your pc/mac which is way quicker then with a remote.

Overall this avr sounds way better then my yamaha home theater in a box kit with the speakers that came with that kit. I would comment on the video conversion but as said previously it don't work at all for my particular resolution.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: