Viewing Review: Good Starter Receiver - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Good Starter Receiver Edit
by oterrax Combined Rating: 2.8
As a movie goer, I wanted to bring a semi theater feeling to my living room for the first time. I realized that there are many factors that contribute to having a great listening experience, like...
Pros Cons
  • Good Sound and Value
  • Need more HDMI outputs, No internet connectivity and no firmware update
As a movie goer, I wanted to bring a semi theater feeling to my living room for the first time. I realized that there are many factors that contribute to having a great listening experience, like room size, speaker placement and speaker quality. However, the heart of that experience is the receiver, the driving force behind your sound setup, So, I decided to invest in what I would say is an entry level receiver. The Sony STR-DG520, here are some specs;

500 Watt - 5.1 Channel Receiver
1080p HMDI Pass Through 2 In / 1 Out
180/24p and 1080/60p capable Signal thru HDMI
Component Video 2 In / 1 Out

The Sony STR-DG520 is a decent "entry level" receiver, If you are looking for superb audio quality and connectivity you will need to invest in a different receiver period. This receiver's HDMI ins/outs are not enough to support today's most common theater setups that may include for example a cable box, apple TV, gaming counsel, TV and a blu-ray player. Also this receiver does not support Bravia sync function that would enable you to do a few things like turning on your receiver when turning on your TV.

Overall, the Sony STR-DG520 will satisfy most peoples theater setups. However, for those that need internet connectivity, 3D support and a good amount of HDMI ins and outs, a different receiver is a must.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: