Viewing Review: Good Starter Receiver - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Good Starter Receiver Edit
by oterrax Combined Rating: 2.8
As a movie goer, I wanted to bring a semi theater feeling to my living room for the first time. I realized that there are many factors that contribute to having a great listening experience, like...
Pros Cons
  • Good Sound and Value
  • Need more HDMI outputs, No internet connectivity and no firmware update
As a movie goer, I wanted to bring a semi theater feeling to my living room for the first time. I realized that there are many factors that contribute to having a great listening experience, like room size, speaker placement and speaker quality. However, the heart of that experience is the receiver, the driving force behind your sound setup, So, I decided to invest in what I would say is an entry level receiver. The Sony STR-DG520, here are some specs;

500 Watt - 5.1 Channel Receiver
1080p HMDI Pass Through 2 In / 1 Out
180/24p and 1080/60p capable Signal thru HDMI
Component Video 2 In / 1 Out

The Sony STR-DG520 is a decent "entry level" receiver, If you are looking for superb audio quality and connectivity you will need to invest in a different receiver period. This receiver's HDMI ins/outs are not enough to support today's most common theater setups that may include for example a cable box, apple TV, gaming counsel, TV and a blu-ray player. Also this receiver does not support Bravia sync function that would enable you to do a few things like turning on your receiver when turning on your TV.

Overall, the Sony STR-DG520 will satisfy most peoples theater setups. However, for those that need internet connectivity, 3D support and a good amount of HDMI ins and outs, a different receiver is a must.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: