Viewing Review: Still Going Strong - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Still Going Strong Edit
by cwhite4455 Combined Rating: 3.8
I purchased a refurbished unit from the Harmon Kardon store on Ebay. That was probably a good thing as these receivers had a defect with the HDMI boards. There was a service bulletin out for it...
Pros Cons
  • Sound, Appearance, Did I Say Sound?
  • Older, maybe That a positive
I purchased a refurbished unit from the Harmon Kardon store on Ebay. That was probably a good thing as these receivers had a defect with the HDMI boards. There was a service bulletin out for it and all the refurbished units after a certain date had it. The I purchased is good to go.

I don't use this thing for video processing as my near top of the line 60 inch Sony does a great job of that. When I did use if for video, the image seemed a little too bright and there were some artifacts that the Sony wouldn't pass through. Anyway I use optical cable for audio where I can. It does not process 3D audio but that isn't as issue as I think 3D has never really arrived- at least at my house.

Getting to the sound. All I can say is that I am able to listen to my Sony 7000 floor speakers, Sony 3000 bookshelf speakers and a matching Sony center channel with ease (I also have a 15" Sony sub). The sound, whether for music or movies is adequate. I think even impressive. I cranked up the output to the rear bookshelfs and put the sub in crossover. I think I have it halfway figured it out. Not to sound too red, but I think I got it "dialed in."

This is not a high dollar set up. My brother has some Energy Take Classic speakers ( the mini $300.00 set) powered by a newer and uglier receiver. To me, there is no comparison. Certainly when it comes to music, I definitely prefer the Harman Kardon. I can't believe that this set was first available for sale on Amazon in April of 2005.

This receiver doesn't get too much of a workout for music nowadays. Generally, I just watch sports, movies and occasionally listen to Pandora on it. It does have a separate ipod hookup for the older model ipods. It also has the ability to send analog audio to 2 separate speakers in a different room. In my case, that would be outside. My wife grew tired of the wires, so I never hooked up my outdoor, by the pool and under the covered patio party speakers. I may do just that to assert my manhood. Bet.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: