Viewing Review: Still Going Strong - AVS Forum
Still Going Strong Edit
by cwhite4455 Combined Rating: 3.8
I purchased a refurbished unit from the Harmon Kardon store on Ebay. That was probably a good thing as these receivers had a defect with the HDMI boards. There was a service bulletin out for it...
Pros Cons
  • Sound, Appearance, Did I Say Sound?
  • Older, maybe That a positive
I purchased a refurbished unit from the Harmon Kardon store on Ebay. That was probably a good thing as these receivers had a defect with the HDMI boards. There was a service bulletin out for it and all the refurbished units after a certain date had it. The I purchased is good to go.

I don't use this thing for video processing as my near top of the line 60 inch Sony does a great job of that. When I did use if for video, the image seemed a little too bright and there were some artifacts that the Sony wouldn't pass through. Anyway I use optical cable for audio where I can. It does not process 3D audio but that isn't as issue as I think 3D has never really arrived- at least at my house.

Getting to the sound. All I can say is that I am able to listen to my Sony 7000 floor speakers, Sony 3000 bookshelf speakers and a matching Sony center channel with ease (I also have a 15" Sony sub). The sound, whether for music or movies is adequate. I think even impressive. I cranked up the output to the rear bookshelfs and put the sub in crossover. I think I have it halfway figured it out. Not to sound too red, but I think I got it "dialed in."

This is not a high dollar set up. My brother has some Energy Take Classic speakers ( the mini $300.00 set) powered by a newer and uglier receiver. To me, there is no comparison. Certainly when it comes to music, I definitely prefer the Harman Kardon. I can't believe that this set was first available for sale on Amazon in April of 2005.

This receiver doesn't get too much of a workout for music nowadays. Generally, I just watch sports, movies and occasionally listen to Pandora on it. It does have a separate ipod hookup for the older model ipods. It also has the ability to send analog audio to 2 separate speakers in a different room. In my case, that would be outside. My wife grew tired of the wires, so I never hooked up my outdoor, by the pool and under the covered patio party speakers. I may do just that to assert my manhood. Bet.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: