Viewing Review: Oldie but goodie and completely reliable. - AVS Forum
Oldie but goodie and completely reliable. Edit
by 40yearfan Combined Rating: 4.3
I bought this unit over 4 years ago and have used it continuously for the whole time. I have Martin Logan Encore center and front speakers with a subwoofer and two sets of rear ceiling speakers to...
Pros Cons
  • Excellent sound, looks great, plenty of power, 7 channels, MCACC set-up, large number of audio decoders, auto level control
  • Only 1 HDMI output, not 3D complaint, somewhat hard to set-up
I bought this unit over 4 years ago and have used it continuously for the whole time. I have Martin Logan Encore center and front speakers with a subwoofer and two sets of rear ceiling speakers to make the 7.1 channels. My DVD player is a Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray with 3D play back and my TV is a Sharp Aquos Quattron 60 inch 3D ready television that is almost brand new. I have an HDMI powered splitter that allows the signal to go straight from the DVD player to the TV to allow for 3D pictures. This system is perfect for movies with 7 channels or musicals such as "Mamma Mia". People have told me the sound is as good as you hear in a theater. Since the unit automatically picks up the audio system from the movie, you hear it as the director intended it to be heard. Once this unit is set-up properly, it is almost fool proof in it's operation.

Listening to digital music channels is a real pleasure. The receiver automatically converts the sound to stereo and playing it through the Martin Logan front speakers gives you clarity that is hard to imagine. You can pick out the individual instruments, with no mush or blurring. Xylophones are sparkling clear as are the horns or violins. Once you hear this system, ordinary music sources such as systems in automobiles sound muddy and garbled.

Some of the features include MCACC set-up which uses a small microphone placed in your normal seating area to adjust the volume of the speakers including the subwoofer, THX decoding, 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, multi channel input, XM and Sirius ready, and a USB port to plug your I Pad or memory stick into.

Because the receiver recognizes the input from any source, outside adjustments are few and far between. It accepts Dolby Digital and DTS, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS Express, and DTS-HD Master Audio. It makes it nice as my wife and father-in-law are technically challenged and would have a hard time making adjustments to the sound system. I have a Logitech multi remote control to control all my equipment and the buttons on that unit are all you need to control adjustments to the receiver.

In my opinion, Pioneer Elite receivers are the best receivers for real music lovers. Plenty of good clean power to push even the largest of speakers. I would highly recommend this receiver to anyone if you can find one available. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of the newer receivers have, but it is easy to use and probably not too expensive as a used unit. If you want something for movie playback or digital music, it's hard to beat this receiver at any price.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: