Viewing Review: A great little receiver! - AVS Forum
A great little receiver! Edit
by bre30127 Combined Rating: 4.3
When we moved into a new house, I decided it was time to step up the surround sound system from the small theater in a box I've had before. Just for reference, I am using Polk Blackstone T2s all...
Pros Cons
  • Plenty of power for smaller rooms, nice and slim, Very easy setup
  • No Networking, only 5.1 channels, no component inputs
When we moved into a new house, I decided it was time to step up the surround sound system from the small theater in a box I've had before. Just for reference, I am using Polk Blackstone T2s all the way around.

There are a lot of things to like about the Marantz 1403 receiver. It has a super easy setup with the Audyssey MultEQ which is basically a mic you move from one seating position to another in order to automatically set up the receiver. It worked just as advertised and properly reported the correct speaker distances.

The 1403 has 6 hdmi inputs which will probably be plenty for most people in the market for this level of surround sound. Also, it is only 5.1 channels. If you need tons of inputs, 7.1 and lot’s of online features and such, you would probably be better off stepping up to the next level. That being said, you would have a hard time finding a receiver that sounds this good at a lower price. Plus, if you have a 3d TV, it provides a 3d passthrough.

Do not be scared off by the seemingly low watts per channel of this receiver. This little guy sounds way better and just as loud as my older 800 watt receiver. I could not believe how great Jurrasic Park sounded. Not to mention U571 and Batman. Everything I put through this just blew me away. I would be sure and pair it with some appropriately sized speakers though… again, this is a mid-range setup.

The remote that comes with it is basic but it does the job. I was debating stepping up to a more sophisticated remote but after using the pack-in remote for a while, I was fine with it.

Really the only thing that slightly bothered me is the lack of component inputs. But that was only a problem when I had to hook up my old dvd player which wasn’t putting out the best sound anyway.

Overall, I would highly recommend the 1403 if you are in the market for a receiver for a small to mid-size room. I personally think that it would be fine in a larger room as long as you didn’t want to peel the paint off the next-door neighbor’s walls.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: