Viewing Review: Oh so good, but oh so bad. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Oh so good, but oh so bad. Edit
by da888 Combined Rating: 3.0
I was very dissapointed after buying this unit that optical audio output didn't mean as good as HDMI hook up when coming to sound quality. The way I understand it, it's still compressed compared to...
Pros Cons
  • Good power, nice fake surround sound options.
  • It doesn't suport HDMI audio.
I was very dissapointed after buying this unit that optical audio output didn't mean as good as HDMI hook up when coming to sound quality. The way I understand it, it's still compressed compared to HDMI. My bad for not understanding that. I was going by my brother who said optical was good as it gets. Digital is digital. Only the other VSX-92-94 ect. did that. I wouldn't have bought this unit had I'd known that. But then again I didn't want to pay, at the time, the difference to upgrade to the 92.

On the other hand now that I own it, I still like the power for the two main output speakers when in stereo mode. I have some very nice coveted Polk Audio SDA-1's that I didn't want to give up to much wattage for music listening. I use to have a Denon, at 180 watts at 4 ohms, stereo. I think this unit is 110 watts in stereo.

But after using the multiple " fake " surround sound options, I never use the stereo only part. It sounds so good in these matrix options. And there's many, so you'll find something you like. ( Plus the sub being incorporated into those options, where it wouldn't be in the stereo mode. It makes such a difference.)

The remote is fine, but I only use it for the audio.

More than enough inputs and outputs to satisfy almost everyone. In fact, maybe your TV won't have enough options.

I should start considering what's available these days since it's been many years since I bought this unit. But it sounds so good, I keep procrastinating.

I only gave it three stars because shortly after this purchase other manufactures had the audio HDMI at half the price of this Pioneer, but minus the pro's I grown to like so much. But maybe thess days they do ?
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: