Viewing Review: Oh so good, but oh so bad. - AVS Forum
Oh so good, but oh so bad. Edit
by da888 Combined Rating: 3.0
I was very dissapointed after buying this unit that optical audio output didn't mean as good as HDMI hook up when coming to sound quality. The way I understand it, it's still compressed compared to...
Pros Cons
  • Good power, nice fake surround sound options.
  • It doesn't suport HDMI audio.
I was very dissapointed after buying this unit that optical audio output didn't mean as good as HDMI hook up when coming to sound quality. The way I understand it, it's still compressed compared to HDMI. My bad for not understanding that. I was going by my brother who said optical was good as it gets. Digital is digital. Only the other VSX-92-94 ect. did that. I wouldn't have bought this unit had I'd known that. But then again I didn't want to pay, at the time, the difference to upgrade to the 92.

On the other hand now that I own it, I still like the power for the two main output speakers when in stereo mode. I have some very nice coveted Polk Audio SDA-1's that I didn't want to give up to much wattage for music listening. I use to have a Denon, at 180 watts at 4 ohms, stereo. I think this unit is 110 watts in stereo.

But after using the multiple " fake " surround sound options, I never use the stereo only part. It sounds so good in these matrix options. And there's many, so you'll find something you like. ( Plus the sub being incorporated into those options, where it wouldn't be in the stereo mode. It makes such a difference.)

The remote is fine, but I only use it for the audio.

More than enough inputs and outputs to satisfy almost everyone. In fact, maybe your TV won't have enough options.

I should start considering what's available these days since it's been many years since I bought this unit. But it sounds so good, I keep procrastinating.

I only gave it three stars because shortly after this purchase other manufactures had the audio HDMI at half the price of this Pioneer, but minus the pro's I grown to like so much. But maybe thess days they do ?
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: