Viewing Review: The very versatile Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver - AVS Forum
The very versatile Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver Edit
by Coolmeadow Kid Combined Rating: 4.8
This was the first purchase for my HT system. I have had Yamaha audio components for 36 years this next month and have never regretted the purchases. This receiver was unusual in the offerings it...
Pros Cons
  • Lots of options. Line outputs for each set of speakers for separate amps, 7.2 audio, front presence channel, Yamaha quality.
  • No built in phono preamp, but then none do these days.
This was the first purchase for my HT system. I have had Yamaha audio components for 36 years this next month and have never regretted the purchases. This receiver was unusual in the offerings it possesses in the price range I limited myself to. Even the newer generation of this receiver lost the RCA line output for separate amps that this unit has. The 7.2 speaker set up is more than I need, but I will eventually use it. May even use the presence channel when I am able to start the renovation project for the family room. I especially appreciate having the 2 sub-woofer outputs for future upgrade-ability.
The RX-V667 employs the Yamaha YPAO room acoustic program for automatic set up for the prime listening position. I used this, then made minor changes to suit my personal preferences. It has 5 HDMI inputs for source hook up as well as 6 AV hookups, all switchable from the supplied remote. Currently I only use 2 HDMI inputs: one for the Blu-Ray payer and the second for my laptop to stream music videos of my favorite artists, and old TV shows found on the internet, and 1 AV hook up for an old VHS recorder. It also has the ARC that allows my over the air TV reception to play through the speaker system.
Most of the music I currently listen to is a Capella. Starting with the TV reality show The Sing Off, I've really gotten hooked on this type of music. Now many of you will say that
a Capella music is not very demanding of the equipment. I beg to differ. Pull up videos by the 2011 winners of The Sing Off, Pentatonix, and tell me it doesn't require equipment that can reproduce a wide range of sounds accurately. They uniquely merge Pop, Jazz, R&B, Indie, Folk, Dubstep and Electronica genres into a Capella masterpieces. You often forget that there are no instruments involved.
The video processing of the receiver also works very well. Audio to video sync is easy to adjust manually for the few times that the automatic feature doesn't quite nail the timing. And the remote has all the features you need and they are easy to find and use.
All in all, it is everything I hoped it would be, and does everything I've needed it to do. Jim.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: