Viewing Review: Good overall receiver with room for improvement - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Good overall receiver with room for improvement Edit
by satguy84 Combined Rating: 3.8
I purchased this as my first HDMI switching AV receiver. Up to this point, I had a receiver with analog composite and component switching. Managed to get an open box special at Newegg. Setup was...
Pros Cons
  • Upconverting, audio delay adjustable on HDMI, Inputs can be renamed, On screen display/GUI (also a con)
  • Heat, GUI/OSD only displays by itself, no video signal processed
I purchased this as my first HDMI switching AV receiver. Up to this point, I had a receiver with analog composite and component switching. Managed to get an open box special at Newegg. Setup was easy; I'm only using it in 5.1 but it is 7.1 capable. Calibration with the included microphone was fast and sounded good . I was immediately disappointed with the OSD. Basically, you have either the OSD/GUI displayed or your chosen video signal displayed, there is no overlay. The only advantage of having the GUI is that it displays more information than the front panel can. I would have preferred the chosen video source with the GUI overlayed, or even a small video "window" with the rest of the screen showing the GUI. What I wished for and what I got were two different things. There are plenty of inputs and outputs (4 analog composite {one front}, 3 component and 4 HDMI). All analog inputs do upscale and will output from the HDMI output.
The rest of my setup includes a Directv HR22/100 DVR HD box, A custom rebuilt and Modified Sony KD-SR60XBR1, a Sony BVP-S360 Bluray, Phillips DVP5990 upconverting DVD player, Gateway DX4200-09 computer as a HTPC and Energy Take 5 pack speakers with a Polk Audio PSW10 powered sub. Integration of my system was easy. As time went on, I found myself using either the DirectV receiver or the Gateway HTPC. I have had the system since 2009 and , aside from the heat generated by the receiver (would definitely recommend an extra cooling fan and NOT placing anything on top of the receiver), the receiver has performed well. I know there are newer and better receivers out there, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one. The only change I wish for is the aforementioned GUI. The STR-DN1040 currently listed as Sony's (non4K) flagship model has wifi and a better gui, but I'm not ready to make the change quite yet. For a 3 year old receiver, this unit has handled the test of time well. If you find one used and can get it for a good price, buy it.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: