Viewing Review: Beautiful GUI but unreliable HDMI - AVS Forum
Beautiful GUI but unreliable HDMI Edit
by sdsalsero Combined Rating: 2.6
I was very excited to upgrade to the new Sony STR-DN1040. My primary consideration was that I wanted to have on-demand DLNA streaming. My previously used the Sony SMP-N200 streaming box and it...
Pros Cons
  • Elegant onscreen interface, networking
  • Unreliable! HDMI connections go 'dead'
I was very excited to upgrade to the new Sony STR-DN1040. My primary consideration was that I wanted to have on-demand DLNA streaming. My previously used the Sony SMP-N200 streaming box and it was very reliable -- but it wasn't built-in to the receiver so I had to manually power-on and select inputs first. So the 1040 receiver seemed the perfect solution. Unfortunately, my experience was ruined by the total failure of the HDMI ports. Sometimes they work, then they don't. All the connected devices are new or almost-new and all were working with my previous receiver. The Sony Community site has an ENORMOUS discussion thread about this so it's clearly a known-issue with the unit.

Putting aside the HDMI deal-breaker.... The setup menus are very clear and easy to use. But they lack some of the detail that other receivers have, including my 3 year-old previous receiver. For instance, you cannot hide unused inputs from the selection screen.

Meanwhile I'm trying to put up with the unit until the return period expires, in the hope that Sony will miraculously issue a firmware fix. Otherwise, I'm returning it.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
sdsalsero 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Several of my sources were just black, with no picture. Usually they had no sound either -- but sometimes they did?! Then I'd try again later and they'd be working again. Sony's position seemed to be that I was using poor-quality HDMI cables but they were name-brand and worked beforehand (as well as now with a different receiver).

kkirsche 12-05-2013, 01:08 PM

What specifically is occurring for you? White snow or something indicating it's not working or another result? Would love to know more about the symptoms and what you've tried when fixing it.

Thanks!

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: