Viewing Review: Its never wowed me - AVS Forum
Its never wowed me Edit
by adamsAVforumtool Combined Rating: 2.7
Brought the Onkyo TX-SR805 around 2008, 5 years ago now. Originally touted as one of the cheapest THX ULTRA II certified A/V Recievers with impressive power ratings, for its price point.
Upgrading...
Pros Cons
  • Reliable, power,
  • got old fast, headphone ground issue, boring surround steering, hard frequency falloff
Brought the Onkyo TX-SR805 around 2008, 5 years ago now. Originally touted as one of the cheapest THX ULTRA II certified A/V Recievers with impressive power ratings, for its price point.
Upgrading from a Denon AVR-1803 I wanted to be wowed. Having already upgraded my speakers to the KEF 3005 (1st edition). I felt a new receiver would give the KEF 3005's the drive I thought they would be capable of. Sadly the 3005's were never able to produce the sound I thought the 805 would provide in my enthusiast opinion with the speakers and the receiver were both incapable of giving me a misguided expectation full bodied detailed warm airy thunderous sound of my first receiver ever brought the Pioneer VSX-D510 in 2004, and even before that my Creative dtt3500, in 2001!

2012 4 years later, I decided to either scrap the hole idea of home theatre after 10+ years or try another speaker solution this time floor standers and large speakers. I chose the Monitor Audio RX8 5.0 speaker system with a wharfedale sub woofer. Its still not wowing me and ive become a little demoralised by the hole affair.
My next move would be to switch back to a Pioneer receiver, or dump the system entirely.

805 can be described as a harsh lifeless shallow, sound devoid of depth, it has power and drive, at the listening volume I prefer -44 6ohm 0db gain, usually on Neural THX or Neo Music. No Audyssey I never liked the results that tech gave me.
I will say Neo Music does the best job with the surround steering, and its getting me excited to try another receiver again. No idea why all the other codecs do a bad job with separation.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: