Viewing Review: Its never wowed me - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Its never wowed me Edit
by adamsAVforumtool Combined Rating: 2.7
Brought the Onkyo TX-SR805 around 2008, 5 years ago now. Originally touted as one of the cheapest THX ULTRA II certified A/V Recievers with impressive power ratings, for its price point.
Upgrading...
Pros Cons
  • Reliable, power,
  • got old fast, headphone ground issue, boring surround steering, hard frequency falloff
Brought the Onkyo TX-SR805 around 2008, 5 years ago now. Originally touted as one of the cheapest THX ULTRA II certified A/V Recievers with impressive power ratings, for its price point.
Upgrading from a Denon AVR-1803 I wanted to be wowed. Having already upgraded my speakers to the KEF 3005 (1st edition). I felt a new receiver would give the KEF 3005's the drive I thought they would be capable of. Sadly the 3005's were never able to produce the sound I thought the 805 would provide in my enthusiast opinion with the speakers and the receiver were both incapable of giving me a misguided expectation full bodied detailed warm airy thunderous sound of my first receiver ever brought the Pioneer VSX-D510 in 2004, and even before that my Creative dtt3500, in 2001!

2012 4 years later, I decided to either scrap the hole idea of home theatre after 10+ years or try another speaker solution this time floor standers and large speakers. I chose the Monitor Audio RX8 5.0 speaker system with a wharfedale sub woofer. Its still not wowing me and ive become a little demoralised by the hole affair.
My next move would be to switch back to a Pioneer receiver, or dump the system entirely.

805 can be described as a harsh lifeless shallow, sound devoid of depth, it has power and drive, at the listening volume I prefer -44 6ohm 0db gain, usually on Neural THX or Neo Music. No Audyssey I never liked the results that tech gave me.
I will say Neo Music does the best job with the surround steering, and its getting me excited to try another receiver again. No idea why all the other codecs do a bad job with separation.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: