Viewing Review: Operation Man Cave: The perfect balance between functionality, affordability, and driving your wife crazy - AVS Forum
Operation Man Cave: The perfect balance between functionality, affordability, and driving your wife crazy Edit
by MuaySteve Combined Rating: 4.3
Operation Man Cave

Objective: Secure a stunning piece of AVR technology that would make women want me, and men want to be me.

Secondary Objective: It would be great if it also provided a...
Pros Cons
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT, Dolby PL IIz, networking, Denon app, onscreen menus, individual crossovers
  • No WiFi, less competitive Canadian pricing
Operation Man Cave

Objective: Secure a stunning piece of AVR technology that would make women want me, and men want to be me.

Secondary Objective: It would be great if it also provided a great surround sound movie experience.

Risk Factors: Wife Approval Factor (WAF) on this purchase is limited. Any upgrades within 5 years of this purchase will not be approved, so get it right the first time.

Additional Assets: PS3. Wii, Energy RC 7.1 speakers, Samsung LED TV

Mission Briefing
Agents infiltrated a local retailer the first day of the sale and secured the AVR2112CI for an acceptable, but not great price compared to what our American counterparts were able to obtain in operation "Buy it Online". Additional shipping charges to Canada precluded our agency from taking part in this op.

Setup of the device went smoothly as all the ports on the rear panel of the unit were clearly labelled and color coded. Our technicians noted that banana plugs greatly enhanced the ease of this process. The on screen menu system made configuration of the device much less frustrating than previous models. Agents were able to procure additional documentation from an a friendly operative; CODENAME: BatPig that lowered the frustration threshold even further and shed a lot of light on inner workings of the 2112.

Once the device was fully operational, it performed at levels well above expectation. The Audyssey MultEQ XT auto calibration was easy to run and the results were immediately noticeable. The 2112 drives the Energy RC speakers to incredible volumes in our 21' x 14' testing facility without ever showing any signs of clipping or distortion. It should be noted that anything above -20 decibels does not meet with (WAF) as it wakes the children. Recommend having the children shipped out to a different facility for the weekend. To be codenamed: Operation Grandparents. This agent also recommends sending the wife as well.

The devices one weakness is the lack of built in Wifi. Final roll out of the device was in a location without network support. A wireless bridge in the form of a d-link router running dd-wrt was implemented, but it is less than ideal, and the additional equipment did not meet the stringent Wife Approval Factor (WAF) requirements of the department.

There have been no known issues to date.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
BNestico 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM

When my fiancé first saw my SVS cylinder I thought she was going to kill me. I showed her pictures but I think she underestimated the sheer size of it. WAF of receivers is more reliant on the numbers.

MuaySteve 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Ah, I remember those days... horrible horrible freedom.

On the matter of subs.... those have the lowest WAF of all. Mine spends most of its time shut off.

I'm glad you guys got a laugh.

JimShaw 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM

"Forget WAF and show who wears the pants in the family"

fookoo_2010 more than likely isn't married.

MuaySteve

Great review which I thoroughly enjoyed reading

fookoo_2010 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Forget WAF and show who wears the pants in the family and get an AVR with Audyssey XT32 such as the Denon 4311 or the Onkyo 818, depending upon how many subs you want to run.

ComradeBrehznev 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Well done! WAF certainly is the Universal Audio-Video Equipment Limiting Function!

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: