Viewing Review: Great features on an overall good receiver - AVS Forum
Great features on an overall good receiver Edit
by breuchaud Combined Rating: 4.3
I have had a TX-NR 609 for 2 years and 2 months. The warranty on the product is 2 years, and luckily for me, they extended the warranty to fix the fact that I currently get no sound. The initial...
Pros Cons
  • 7.2 capability, 2 zone system, good apps, hdmi passthrough, honor their warranty passed 2 years
  • It runs hot, hdmi passthrough doesn't always change automatically, amplifier blew 2 years and 2 months after purchase
I have had a TX-NR 609 for 2 years and 2 months. The warranty on the product is 2 years, and luckily for me, they extended the warranty to fix the fact that I currently get no sound. The initial assessment is that the amplifier is blown. It is not sure why this is, but it could be because it runs hot and I have it in a cabinet. Regardless of this, I did enjoy the receiver before it stopped working, and assuming mine gets fixed up, I would assume that mine was somehow defective and not representative of all of them. With that said, I was happy with the receiver when it worked. I had a 6.1 setup and it worked great. I also had zone 2 speakers outside and I controlled the receiver with the O Remote app on my ipad, iphone or ipod touch. It was a $5.99 app but worth it. The zone 2 speakers will not transmit digital inputs, but I can play the radio, Pandora or my ipod from the app while I am outside. It is great. One drawback , is that when you have zone 2 speakers on, the surround setup reverts to 5.1. I wish turning off zone 2 would automatically turn 6.1 ot 7.1 back on, but it doesn't. It isn't to difficult to switch it back on though. HDMI passthrough is a nice feature because you can have your receiver off and still get sound and picture to your tv. This is great for my wife who doesn't care to have the surround sound on. Another nice feature is that it upconverts analog signals and transmits everything to the tv with one hdmi cable. I also like the audessey setup with the microphone. Another issue I sometimes have is that the lip sync is different for different inputs. I adjust them as needed, but it is hard to get it just write and it seems that different movies are off a little, which means I have tinkered with lip sync more than I want to.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: