Viewing Review: Harman Kardon AVR 335 - Great While It Lasted - AVS Forum
Harman Kardon AVR 335 - Great While It Lasted Edit
by Jason Hutchinson Combined Rating: 4.0
When I purchased my AVR 335, the only sound system I had was a set of Logitech z5300e PC speakers that was hacked together using a menagerie of cables, and 2 manual switch boxes so I could use them...
Pros Cons
  • 7.1 Channels, Powerful enough to power 12" subwoofers, Separate pre-outs, Aluminum front bezel, Great looks
  • Amplifier is faulty and only the pre-outs work, Could not get calibration microphone to work, Lacks phono input
When I purchased my AVR 335, the only sound system I had was a set of Logitech z5300e PC speakers that was hacked together using a menagerie of cables, and 2 manual switch boxes so I could use them with my Xbox (original and 360), PS2, PC, Wii, TV, and CD changer. The first switch box was composite video and s-video only, and the second one was had component video.

When I wanted to switch the input, I would have to get up and hit the button which corresponded to the device on the switch box. I would also have to change the TV input to either have the composite video or component video depending on the device. For example, the Wii had composite video and the Xbox 360 had component. Needless to say this was a total mess, and I was the only one in the house that could figure out how use it.

The AVR 335 changed all that cool.gif. It had more than enough inputs for all my devices. Being the poor student that I was, I bought this unit used. It came in a huge airconditioner box that was full of pink packing peanuts. I was pretty tapped out from this purchase, so I continued to use my z5300e via the pre-outs and some cobbled together cables.

The receiver was able to grow with me, and I was still able to use it when I bought my first HDTV. This receiver lacks any HDMI I/O, but I was still able to use it thanks to the optical input. I had also upgraded most of my peripherals. Most of my devices had HDMI. I had a digital cable box with a DVR, I had replaced my old 360 that had a RROD with a new one that had HDMI, and I had a PS3. The Wii mostly sat and collected dust. I had everything running through my TV which at the time was a 42" Vizio. When I watched TV and movies, I noticed that the voice and the actor's lips didn't always match, and I would have to play around with the delay on the receiver quite a bit to get it close enough to where it wasn't distracting. I eventually sold the Vizio and replaced it with a Sony, and the sync issue was ameliorated. I believe it was due to a fault in the TV, rather than the receiver.

I was given a pair vintage Technics 12" floor speakers, and I used them as my fronts and disabled the subwoofer. They sounded great, but that is when I believe that was the beginning of the end. One afternoon, I played moderately loud music for several hours while I worked on chores around the house and it worked flawlessly. I thought nothing of it since I have never had any issues. It continued to work fine throughout the night and I stayed up late watching movies. The next morning, I decided to watch some TV so I turned it on, and it powered up as usual. There is a distinct *click* when the amplifier comes on. I started watching and then the sound just died. I initially thought it was just an issue with my cable box, but to my horror and disbelief eek.gif, none of the inputs worked. Since that day, my AVR 335 has been sitting in the basement. I still could technically use it as a processor, but I don't have discrete amplifiers to take advantage of it. I'm not sure how much it would cost to repair, but it probably won't be worth paying for the labor and parts to make it whole again.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: