Viewing Review: OMG, I like a cheap Sony Receiver! The Sony STR-DH540 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver is actually quite good. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

OMG, I like a cheap Sony Receiver! The Sony STR-DH540 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver is actually quite good. Edit
by goslin23 Combined Rating: 4.2
I feel that I should be embarrassed to post a review about a Sony receiver, especially one that I only paid a couple hundred bucks for after seeing all those fancy $1000+ receiver reviews!

I had a...
Pros Cons
  • It's super cheap. It decodes Dolby TrueHD, ProLogic IIz and dts-HD master audio. Auto calibration mic & full banana plug connections.
  • Not a ton of power.
I feel that I should be embarrassed to post a review about a Sony receiver, especially one that I only paid a couple hundred bucks for after seeing all those fancy $1000+ receiver reviews!

I had a 7.1 Sony receiver for many years that I only ever used in 5.1 and it was only a pass-through and I was not able to get audio through the HDMI inputs (it only had 2 of those). I wanted an upgrade that was basic as I didn't need network features or any music streaming features. I just wanted something that I could play 5.1 audio through that sounded decent.

I picked up the Sony STR-DH540 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver for around $200 and so far I'm quite happy with my decision. Sure it's not audiophile quality sound, but I think it sounds quite good for it's price. Channel separation is good, voices come through quite clear and the audio range is full. It could use a bit more power, but I don't think I'll miss that as I don't really ever crank it up like I used to.

Setup was straight forward, quite simple actually. I use all 4 of the HDMI inputs with U-verse, a PS3, a WiiU and a Chromecast all working flawlessly through the system. The auto calibration did a decent job but I had to tweak a few settings to get it dialed in. The one feature it is lacking in is better lip-syncing control. Not that it's out of sync, but I would like more control.

As far as decoding audio goes, it does have the ability to play Dolby TrueHD, Pro logic IIz and dts HD and for a receiver at this price, that was a big selling point.

I think this has to be one of the better values in home theater receivers if you don't want to spend a ton of $$.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
jaeelarr 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to chime and say that this is a very nice receiver. Setup is very simple, and the menu is easy to navigate. Hooked this up for my dad this weekend and the minimalist look is very very nice. Plus, getting it for less than retail makes it an even better value. If you are looking for something to start your HT, and dont want to drop a lot on gear but get many of the feature of more expensive rigs, look at this one. Worth every penny and then some.

BmrSnr 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM

My 80+ year old dad needs a new receiver for his surround sound (the 27 year old Pioneer finally crapped out). I need to make minimal changes for him which means that there will be no video running through the receiver. I will just have L/R RCA jacks sending the audio from the TV so he can turn it on whenever he wants surround, regardless of the source. All that said, I know the STR-DH540 has on-screen capabilities but does it require a screen to operate it (other than the initial calibration)? Thanks for your replies.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: