Viewing Review: Excellent replacement for broken (and discontinued) 18" driver in my Velodyne ULD-18 - AVS Forum
Excellent replacement for broken (and discontinued) 18" driver in my Velodyne ULD-18 Edit
by chasby Combined Rating: 5.0
Bought my Velodyne ULD-18 in 1989 for about $2400.00 and it served me well until March of 2013. At that time it self destructed while watching a loud DTS sound track movie. Velodyne said sorry we...
Pros Cons
  • Sounds great and reasonable price. Mounting hole pattern matches that of the Velodyne.
  • speaker rim is 1/4 inch larger than Velodyne cutout. Must use router to enlarge opening.
Bought my Velodyne ULD-18 in 1989 for about $2400.00 and it served me well until March of 2013. At that time it self destructed while watching a loud DTS sound track movie. Velodyne said sorry we don't support that unit anymore and there are no replacement drivers available. After a short Internet search I discovered another sad ULD-18 owner who replaced the Velodyne with this Dayton Audio 18" driver. Of course the Velodyne dedicated amplifier with feedback circuit was no longer of any use so I purchased the Dayton Audio amplifier to power the new subwoofer. After getting out my old Sears router and figuring out how to use the attachments, I managed to install the Dayton Audio driver in my beautiful Velodyne cabinet. I got out my sound pressure meter and recalibrated my Anthem AVM-20 with the new subwoofer and amplifier and I'm really satisfied with my HT system sound with the new subwoofer.
So for less than $600.00 I resurrected my $2400.00 Velodyne.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: