Viewing Review: I fall upon a bargain! - AVS Forum
I fall upon a bargain! Edit
by TLoewenberg Combined Rating: 4.2
In June, my wife in a weak moment authorized this retiree to purchase an XBOX 360 to keep my aging hand eye coordination finely honed. I found a LCD/LED TV on clearance that worked nicely but...
Pros Cons
  • Performance versus cost!
  • No blue tooth, no wireless subwolfer, no IR blaster. Hey, what do you expect for $70?
In June, my wife in a weak moment authorized this retiree to purchase an XBOX 360 to keep my aging hand eye coordination finely honed. I found a LCD/LED TV on clearance that worked nicely but suffered from truly less than marginal sound. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on upgrading the sound, I stumbled upon a Panasonic SC-HTB20 on a big box clearance rack. So, doesn't have a wireless subwoofer or ability to connect Bluetooth, but I wasn't expecting the equivalent of my 7.1 system. I just wanted clean audio to enhance the gaming experience and make other content sound a little better. Yeah, there's are wires every where. The sound bar can be separated to right and left channels, then positioned vertically on either side of the TV. I chose to leave it as a bar on the shelf in front of the TV. The subwoofer has a small remote, that hopefully won't be lost, but not a big deal since the same controls are also located on the subwoofer itself. There are inputs for ARC HDMI or Optical to the TV. It can also be pass through for other devices like a BD/DVD player, cable box, streaming media, etc. PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS effects are available. Yeah, you have to be a little creative with running wires, but remember I spent only $70! So, how does it sound, you might ask. I'm thinking even if you picked up this little system for $200 or more, you'd still be smiling. Of course, you don't have room filling, earth shattering, super effects. This is a sound bar, remember. But, what you do have is a marked improvement over those mini-disappoint TV speakers. The bass is rich and satisfying and can be controlled separately from the treble output of the system. Bottom line, consider your needs, if they include a smaller room and your main goal is to improve the sound of your TV without burning a hole in your wallet or melting the credit card as you slide it through, you really can't improve much upon this little system. Every once in a while I find myself with the urge to buy something more substantial or feature rich, then I stop and listen and wonder what I was thinking. Highly recommended, especially if you stumble upon the same deal as I!
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
drfreeman60 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM

I have one of these also. Recently set this up in the living room to listen to Christmas music. However, I discovered that with about 8' seperation between the HF drivers and about 2' from the rear wall, these open up like a pair of big speakers. Excellent sound stage, depth and imaging. Quite impressive.

By the way, your $ 70 price is the steal of the year. I paid about $ 160 last February.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: