Viewing Review: Great idea, great implementation - AVS Forum
Great idea, great implementation Edit
by BrianJohns Combined Rating: 4.6
I recently downsized and in the process sold my AVR and surround-sound system hoping to start over with something simpler with fewer wires and less complexity and that would let me use my existing...
Pros Cons
  • Works with existing remote, has light-up volume feedback when changing the volume
  • Don't buy a used one
I recently downsized and in the process sold my AVR and surround-sound system hoping to start over with something simpler with fewer wires and less complexity and that would let me use my existing Tivo remote control to change the volume. About 2 months into using the TV-only speakers, the poor sound from the TV became unbearable.

I purchased a used ZVOX 580 on eBay hoping to save myself some money. It didn't work out so well.

The used ZVOX arrived. It's a big, heavy thing. It's heavy because it's built out of wood. The build quality looked great, and the cabinet finish was nice except for a corner that got a little dinged because of inadequate packing. ZVOX has done some nice work with this product.

The best thing I liked about it was that it worked with my existing Tivo remote, which meant I didn't have to pull out the Harmony remote again.

The used 580 I purchased had great promise, but alas it had a bass buzz (or rattle) coming from (I think) one of the subwoofers. Apparently it had been "blown" by a previous owner. Otherwise, this thing sounded AWESOME -- I could tell there was great potential with this product. The setup was easy, the LCD feedback on the front was great, and I could tell that if I'd just bought a NEW unit instead of a defective used one, I'd be a very happy camper! Fortunately the eBay seller let me return it.

The lesson here is this: it's probably not a good idea to buy a used speaker unless you can hear it first! I'm saving my pennies for a brand new one rather than trying to buy used and take the chance. I'm betting no one would sell one of these in good working condition -- who'd want to let it go? It's that good! biggrin.gif
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: