Viewing Review: Lacking the "surround" part of the SurroundBar name - AVS Forum
Lacking the "surround" part of the SurroundBar name Edit
by glennheath Combined Rating: 1.8
Bought this on a bit of a whim from Amazon during one of their Lightning Deals or Deals of the Day. I was intrigued by the idea of replicating a surround sound through a single sound bar and since...
Pros Cons
  • Attractive look that blends well with my LED TV, great hardware for mounting on wall, easy to hide wiring
  • No isolation of seven speakers or "surround" function, no HDMI, no subwoofer, no wireless funciton, overpriced
Bought this on a bit of a whim from Amazon during one of their Lightning Deals or Deals of the Day. I was intrigued by the idea of replicating a surround sound through a single sound bar and since the use was for a room that had mainly exterior walls (tougher to run speaker wire through the attic into exterior walls due to insulation and studs). It also helped that the original TV I was pairing this with was also titanium colored, so I counted on the attractiveness factor for the setup. I was impressed by the hardware for mounting it to the wall. It holds the speaker securely while still leaving a gap for the wires to come out of the speaker and take a loose bend to drop vertically down to the receiver (also titanium colored) position. I was able to get a cable guide that easily bundled the cables so that the entire installation was neat and clean without having to run anything in the wall. The down side of the speaker is the surround function. I have fallen victim to the hype of direct reflecting speakers in the past (a set of Bose 301s long ago) and
in the past I have have even been able to detect some improvement in room filling sound compared to a uni-directional speaker. With this sound bar, there is no way that I could identify any isolation between front, rear, and surround sounds coming through the various speakers within the soundbar. Basically they all sound like a center channel. Don't get me wrong -- for a center channel the sound is crisp and clean for both music and movies, but if you buy this expecting to get simulated surround sound,even in a small room, you will be disappointed. This would be a great speaker if it sold for $100, but is considerably overpriced at anything above that.

This is a passive speaker which only contains standard speaker jack (clips) connections -- no airplay, bluetooth, or other wireless functions, though that is likely due to the age of the product. You would need to pair this with a separate subwoofer to bring out the bass in movies. I used a 100W Polk Audio subwoofer as well, so it doesn't overpower the small soundbar.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: