Viewing Review: Excellent quality soundbar by Yamaha - AVS Forum
Excellent quality soundbar by Yamaha Edit
by dodo888 Combined Rating: 4.4
A few years ago, I was researching for an alternative for my legacy 5.1 surround sound system. With not a lot of space in my new home, I needed to go for a sound bar option. I finally decided on...
Pros Cons
  • Deep base, sharp tones, and crisp sounds, lots of preset sound configurations, sturdy.
  • Lack of HMDI connections, subwoofer is not wireless, no direct connection to soundbar - everything must route through subwoofer
A few years ago, I was researching for an alternative for my legacy 5.1 surround sound system. With not a lot of space in my new home, I needed to go for a sound bar option. I finally decided on the Yamaha YAS-71 as it gave me the most bang for my buck. Yes, you can find more expensive systems out in the market, however, the quality of the sound was unmatched when I sampled other options of equitable price level.

The first thing you'll notice is quality from the workmanship of the product. It's heavy and not like the lightweight plastics you'll get from other brands. After calibrating the sound and testing my setup for optimal distance, I was extremely happy when playing some of my PS3 games. I found myself totally immersed and totally blown away by the deep bases and the superior high tones. The sound was extremely sharp and engaging. I next tested DVDs and Blu-ray movies. The quality of sounds was again realized. I was also pleasantly surprised when I connected my cable box which also produced excellent sound quality.

Now this soundbar isn't perfect so here are the imperfections that I noticed. There were no HDMI ports so I had to use Optical Toslinks for my devices as well coaxial and standard A/V cables for my other components. It's not a huge hindrance since these are standard cables and connection ports still to this date. The wireless all route through the subwoofer which acts as command center which leads to my second negative as it's not a wireless subwoofer. Obviously, the wireless tech wasn't standard at the time. The iPhone/ipod dock didn't come as standard so you'll have to call customer service to order the cable/dock or get it online.

Overall this is an excellent soundbar and the reputation of Yamaha quality has not disappointed me yet. For fans of quality sound and deep base, this is a fantastic system and should be considered by sound enthusiasts.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: