Viewing Review: Overall excellent collection. - AVS Forum
Overall excellent collection. Edit
by Steve544 Combined Rating: 5.0
I received this collection for Xmas but have taken my time in watching all 4 films. I do have the first collection on Standard Def which was not a bad production at all. The Blue Ray Complete...
Pros Cons
  • lossless audio with good use of discreet directionality to surrounds
  • No 7.1 audio option, poor packaging.
I received this collection for Xmas but have taken my time in watching all 4 films. I do have the first collection on Standard Def which was not a bad production at all. The Blue Ray Complete Collection is definitely worth having for a number of reasons. I generally do not provide plot summaries and opinions of acting, nor my opinions as to which is the best or worse. Many here have already done that.
However, the first film 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' is the iconic film of the series. Many did not care for the second film 'Temple of Doom' though I enjoyed it. 'The Last Crusade' I felt was much fun with the inclusion of Sean Connery as Indiana's dad and the final film 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull', while panned by the press, was still an enjoyable popcorn movie.

Rather than split each films audio and video reviews separately, I will just say that ALL 4 Films, had an excellent transfer to video with great color resolution and contrast for all of them. In none, not even the first and oldest, was there any disturbing artificial grain, no artifacts or aliasing on any of the them.

The audio for all 4 films was DTS HD MA 5.1 and all 4 films fully utilized the complete sound system for both the soundtrack as well as foley and panning effects. With this lossless audio so well made use of, you will be happy to have invested in your home theater system. I will say that sometimes the soundtrack overwhelms what should be the directionality of the foley effects but the equally iconic music score was always meant to be a huge part of each film just like the Jaws soundtrack would come on when the shark was getting close.

The extras disc has a great many 'making of docs, the Women of Indiana Jones interviews, behind the scenes and many more which I have yet to watch.

The only real negative regarding this collection is the packaging itself. While neat and tidy in that it will save you some room on your shelf, similar to the Clint Eastwood 35 years, 35 films Collection, each separate disc is in its own smooth sleeve. I don't believe that the sleeve will harm the disc itself but it is impossible to remove any of the discs without touching the play side of the disc leaving any finger oils smudged on the disc. Some do not care about this but I do in that I take anal care of all my DVDs and CDs and do not like having to grab the edge of the BluRay with my thumb and forefinger. Yes, I could put each disc in its own separate DVD box but that is not the point. I would have much preferred the discs being held in place by the standard center hole holder that you see for most DVDS.

All my movie reviews are of this nature and focus only on the quality of the transfer to BluRay so check them and see if they are of help as well.
Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you in determining your purchase, hope I am on the correct path with a review of the transfer quality as opposed to providing plot summaries.
Thanks
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: