Viewing Review: Potential to be what it should be - AVS Forum
Potential to be what it should be Edit
by djkest Combined Rating: 4.0
I skipped the last generation of gaming consoles and mostly played on PC. I decided to jump back into the console realm with the Xbox one because a bunch of my friends were getting one. My...
Pros Cons
  • Powerful, quiet, innovative, great controller, good software
  • Doesn't yet meet full potential, needs more games, current games somewhat lackluster
I skipped the last generation of gaming consoles and mostly played on PC. I decided to jump back into the console realm with the Xbox one because a bunch of my friends were getting one. My experience on the Xbox One has been mixed but overall I am optimistic about the future of the console.

Hardware: The console itself is somewhat large, but has very good cooling and makes little noise. That's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. The controller is very ergonomic and has worked well for me so far. I am a fan of the current controller as compared to the old one.

Software: The Xbox One comes with a Windows-8 styled interface. It launched with a bunch of apps like Amazon instant video, Internet Explorer, Netflix, etc. I have used most of the apps and they all seem to work well. I am also reassured that as time goes on, software patches and incremental updates will improved the experience. Multitasking works pretty well but isn't perfect. The Kinect has worked well so far and is pretty fun and useful. It's nice to be able to control my TV without needing to find the remote, which my son constantly is moving around.

Games: I have only played 4 games so far: Madden, COD: Ghosts, Killer Instict, and Dead Rising 3. Of these I have played COD the most. I think the amount of software is lacking, but this is to be expected for any new console. I am already pre-ordered on Titanfall and look forward to some true next-gen games coming up soon. Already I have seen COD get significant upgrades through software patches, so this trend will probably continue.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase but I do think it could be better in many ways. I do think that as the software is updated and more games come out, it will truely be a "Next Gen" experience.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: