Viewing Review: PS4 is the most powerful Next Generation console - AVS Forum
PS4 is the most powerful Next Generation console Edit
by varkeast Combined Rating: 4.0
The PlayStation 4 is a great gaming console. Sony learned from their sins when creating the PS3 with a proprietary architecture and designed the PS4 with a common PC design based off an AMD...
Pros Cons
  • runs games at 1080p/60
  • fumbling user interface, lack of local or upnp mp3/video streaming
The PlayStation 4 is a great gaming console. Sony learned from their sins when creating the PS3 with a proprietary architecture and designed the PS4 with a common PC design based off an AMD chipset. This is allowing game developers to quickly access the speed and power provided by the upgraded hardware. Game titles that are launching across both Microsofts new Xbox One and the PS4 show the difference in hardware. Most games are able to run at 1080p on the PS4, while being limited to 720p on the Xbox One.

The setup of the PS4 is very straight forward. Just plug in the HDMI cable and network cable, wait for a few updates, and it is ready to go. It atuomatically detects and configures itself to your HDMI capable receiver or TV.

The user interface on the PS4 is fairly straight forward, but is the main weak spot of the system. It takes entirely too many menu options to create a chat party with friends or to invite them to a game. There is also 30 second delay once you pull up a friend in the menus before you can attempt to join an online game they might be in. There were some stability issues when the PS4 first came out, but these have mostly been ironed out. Response time is quick

Since it only recently launched, there is a lack of new content for the PS4 platform. New games are starting to trickle in, but many of the most interesting titles that will help define the next generation of gaming are still to be released, or delayed (Watch Dogs, Destiny, The Division)

Sony made a mistake when they removed the ablity to play MP3s or videos from a USB thumb drive or stream them from a uPnP server. That seems like a step backward from the previous generation. I enjoy listening to my MP3 collection while gaming, and now I don't have that ability. They have claimed that the feature should be coming in a future update, but there is no estimation of when that might happen.

The PS4 is also unable to currently play 3d bluray disks in 3d. There are also no games currently that can be played in 3d, even if it is just Side By Side. I would have thought the next generation would be able to build upon the growing install base of 3d tvs and take advantage of the new technology.

In all I give the PS4 4 stars. If the future updates resolve the issues of mp3/video streaming and 3d movie/gaming, then the system would easily be 5stars.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: