Viewing Review: Gaming Mortal Sin - AVS Forum
Gaming Mortal Sin Edit
by properbostonian Combined Rating: 4.0
I committed a sin. A gaming mortal sin.

As an avid Halo and Xbox 360 player for the last 9 years, I didn't buy the Xbox One. I bought the PS4 and I love it!

The first thing you notice is the...
Pros Cons
  • UI, form factor, HDD upgrade, singular purpose (games!)
  • Controller, on/off switch, app store, USB ports
I committed a sin. A gaming mortal sin.

As an avid Halo and Xbox 360 player for the last 9 years, I didn't buy the Xbox One. I bought the PS4 and I love it!

The first thing you notice is the overall design of the console. I heard words like “sleek”, “sexy”, “modern”, and they are all correct. It looks good wherever you put it.

The user interface is clean, easy to use, and gives you precisely what you need to see and nothing more. The minimalist design works. My only gripe is the UI isn’t as zippy as I would like and sometimes hiccups during navigation.

I immediately upgraded the HDD from 500 GB to 1 TB. I had no fear and even a few days into launch, Sony and the masses had plenty of detailed instructions already posted on the web to help guide you through the upgrade.

Yes, there are some apps, you can rent and buy movies, listen to music but the singular purpose of the PS4 is gaming. Sony’s marketing machine did a fantastic job prior to launch praising its relationship with developers and the indie’s. Sony also brilliantly removed the camera and reduced the price by $100 to make the console more affordable and $100 less than the Xbox one.

Moving from the Xbox 360 controller to the Dual Shock 4 was problematic for me. The Xbox 360 controller is perfect. I know the DualShock 4 is a major upgrade from the previous Playstation controllers but I prefer the feel and responsiveness of the 360 controller. My left thumb took almost a month to adjust to the left thumb stick of the DS4.

Another issue with the controller is the option and share buttons. Maybe my figners are too fat but I can never just press the button and I inevitable hit the touch pad. So annoying.

The power on/off button simply never works for me the first time. It’s odd. I’ve tried to press harder and softer but if normally takes at least 2-3 times before the machine will turn on or off. The same goes for the disk drive as well.

Only two USB ports and they are in front? Yikes. I assume future sku’s will have more USB ports and perhaps they should be moved to the back. Considering the beauty of the machines, it’s ugly in the front with the wires in plain view.

The games I own; Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Killzone, and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition all look and play as they should on a next gen console; beautifully and flawlessly.

My friends, even my wife, tell me I committed a gaming mortal sin moving from Microsoft to Sony. Hey, I just wanted to try something different and I have no regrets.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: