Viewing Review: Very pleased with its performance, not so with its quirks - AVS Forum
Very pleased with its performance, not so with its quirks Edit
by Benphysics Combined Rating: 3.0
For me, music is all. I have had my Oppo bd-103 for a year now. At first I became frustrated by the fact that it requires a video display to play music. If you have a projector, turning it own to...
Pros Cons
  • Plays SACDs and high rez audio formats with audiophile authority, plays HD movies with clarity.
  • Does not play certain songs of same format as other songs it plays. Requires a display to play music.

For me, music is all. I have had my Oppo bd-103 for a year now. At first I became frustrated by the fact that it requires a video display to play music. If you have a projector, turning it own to play music is not practical. The lamp in a projector is timely, and its life is significantly reduced by how often you need to fire it up. So, on top of buying the Oppo, I had to purchase a tv monitor, and to play the higher audio resolution formats, the display needs to be 1080p. I have no other use for that display than OSD to play my music. On the other hand, when it plays my SACDs and 24-96 and 24-192 flac formats, the clarity is exceptional. Another flaw it has, is that it is temperamental. I own over 500 LPs and CDs, and ripped all the songs I love most into flac formats to play only the songs I like gathered onto a flash drive. The problem it has is that it refuses to play about 10% of the songs, yet my portable Fiio x3 plays them all. There are no reasons for they all have been ripped the same way. I don't know why it is like that, but some of these songs are amongst my absolute favorites and the oppo does not play LPs. I never play an LP more than once, I play it only to record it on a studio audiophile reel to reel 2 track 1/2" in an acoustic room where the floor is floating on a silicone suspension to eliminate unwanted exterior vibrations, and the walls and ceiling are acoustically sound proofed with 5 layers of isolation materials. I rip my songs in that room as well. The noisiest instrument in the room is my laptop, and after being adapted to the silence, it feels as if a blower starts every time its fan comes on. You get the picture. The fact that my Oppo does not play these particular songs is driving me nuts. I have repeated the rip 2 and 3 times. While another song on the same LP plays on the Oppo no problem, the one I hold dear does not??? But the same song plays on my Fiio X3. I would have paid twice the price if it would play any song i trow at it. But, the fact that it is so temperamental, makes me hate it at times, for I purchased my Oppo mainly to play only the music I love gathered on a flash drive.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: