Viewing Review: Very pleased with its performance, not so with its quirks - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Very pleased with its performance, not so with its quirks Edit
by Benphysics Combined Rating: 3.0
For me, music is all. I have had my Oppo bd-103 for a year now. At first I became frustrated by the fact that it requires a video display to play music. If you have a projector, turning it own to...
Pros Cons
  • Plays SACDs and high rez audio formats with audiophile authority, plays HD movies with clarity.
  • Does not play certain songs of same format as other songs it plays. Requires a display to play music.

For me, music is all. I have had my Oppo bd-103 for a year now. At first I became frustrated by the fact that it requires a video display to play music. If you have a projector, turning it own to play music is not practical. The lamp in a projector is timely, and its life is significantly reduced by how often you need to fire it up. So, on top of buying the Oppo, I had to purchase a tv monitor, and to play the higher audio resolution formats, the display needs to be 1080p. I have no other use for that display than OSD to play my music. On the other hand, when it plays my SACDs and 24-96 and 24-192 flac formats, the clarity is exceptional. Another flaw it has, is that it is temperamental. I own over 500 LPs and CDs, and ripped all the songs I love most into flac formats to play only the songs I like gathered onto a flash drive. The problem it has is that it refuses to play about 10% of the songs, yet my portable Fiio x3 plays them all. There are no reasons for they all have been ripped the same way. I don't know why it is like that, but some of these songs are amongst my absolute favorites and the oppo does not play LPs. I never play an LP more than once, I play it only to record it on a studio audiophile reel to reel 2 track 1/2" in an acoustic room where the floor is floating on a silicone suspension to eliminate unwanted exterior vibrations, and the walls and ceiling are acoustically sound proofed with 5 layers of isolation materials. I rip my songs in that room as well. The noisiest instrument in the room is my laptop, and after being adapted to the silence, it feels as if a blower starts every time its fan comes on. You get the picture. The fact that my Oppo does not play these particular songs is driving me nuts. I have repeated the rip 2 and 3 times. While another song on the same LP plays on the Oppo no problem, the one I hold dear does not??? But the same song plays on my Fiio X3. I would have paid twice the price if it would play any song i trow at it. But, the fact that it is so temperamental, makes me hate it at times, for I purchased my Oppo mainly to play only the music I love gathered on a flash drive.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote: