Viewing Review: Good job Denon again!!! - AVS Forum
Good job Denon again!!! Edit
by retro124 Combined Rating: 5.0

It has been 3 months and I'm using receiver every day. It does excellent job, no problems at all, still learning all what this unit can do!!!!

1/1/2014

I start to shop for A/V...
Pros Cons
  • all
  • none

It has been 3 months and I'm using receiver every day. It does excellent job, no problems at all, still learning all what this unit can do!!!!

1/1/2014

I start to shop for A/V receiver month ago. I contacted all brands Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon. After chatting, emailing and warranty and price compares I decide for Denon.I replaced my 10 years old Denon 3803 witch was my first receiver, did excellent job and I have zero problems with it.Got this new X4000. It is amazing receiver. You can really tell 10 years diferent immediately. I'm using this one for a week now I will update review later with more details. Set up was easy much easier then old receiver. Hook up with HDMi to tv and follow step by step screen on your tv. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 set up very easy again just follow screen instruction. I do have Klipsch 5.1 set ( F-30,S-20,C-20) and sound is much better then before. It is more poweful , crisp , clear sound. Now is very dificult for me to deside what to watch or listen because a want to do all!!!!!

X4000 got plenty of inputs. I hook up comcast HD box, Mac mini, Ps3, Apple tv, and other HD box for streaming international tv channels. All with HDMi cables only. You can rename your inputs witch is very nice. HDMi in front is also big plus. Remote controler is very nice easy to use but it will not control everything but what does right? But all main and important moves ot will handle.

Big plus is Denon app. It is just simply amazing. We are apple people so we have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads and 2 Macs and you can control your Denon receiver from all of those devices. App work for all iOS and Android devices.

It have ethernet so you can use internet radio and listen radio all around world( great ti have it ). I have beed using Sonos zp90 with my old Denon now I dont need to so I'm going to sell it will safe me some $$$.

3 years manufacture warranty is big plus. I believe I will not need it but if yes I'm covered. You can also add some extra years on your warranty!!!

Hope this will help you decide,If you have any questions let me know I will try to answer them.

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
retro124 06-08-2014, 08:14 PM

No not at all snob, I like your opinion, just want to know more what do you think and why. Sorry my mistake about Stereo I'm still learning about my set up. I run RF-82II so from what I read and hear bi-amp will make no different with my set up. It maybe will with yours speakers I just don't know. i come from 3803 so X4000 sounds just amazing to me but I understand your comments. Well will see what new Denon line will offer and how good it will be. I'm excited about your build yourself surrounds can you PM me some details or maybe pictures? I'm going to check your speakers to get idea what you run. Thanks Paul.

electrovert 06-08-2014, 07:14 PM

I don't want to sound like a hifi snob or bash this unit which nailed it for me.  But I found the sound to be on the flat side.  I was in the process of manually up converting/remastering some CDs and was running into problems.  Just didn't trust what I was hearing.  I had some amps I retrofitted (another story) running off an out board DAC...which sounded better...all subjective.  I thought I would hang them off the Pre outs to see where the sound was getting lost.  IMHO I liked the discrete amps better.  I haven't tried the BiAmp option with the x4000 so I will give that a go and see if I get more of what I was looking for.  I also think my older Denon AVR 1913 has a better sound...in that case warmer.  I usually run these amps at less than a watt per channel so they may sound better further up there power rating.  Any way great product I wish Denon or Audyssey would open up the DSP for active crossover modeling/ Bi Amping...it would sure take this to the next level.  I'm using B&W Matrix 805 mains and a B&W HTM center.  The surrounds I built myself. (Audax 14cm woven carbon and a JBL 25mm TI dome.  One other note.  The x4000 modes and compression do brighten up the sound to where I believe direct should be.  So you can get it out of the x4000 just not in the direct mod...which I find odd.  Last thing Stereo content never come out of the sub.  Which should be possible... Hope that was informative/useful.

retro124 06-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks for comment, yes like you said the best I or you never owned. Why it is not uninspiring for Stereo listening? I do run RF-82II and dual PC12-Pluses and Stereo sound amazing.

electrovert 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM

All in all this is the best surround receiver I have ever owned.  There is little to complain about.  The DAC is very good and has never drop out.  The DSP and firmware operate well. The menus and functions keep getting better.  The money appears to have been spent well throughout this unit.  The horizontal layout of the output binding post is a nice improvement as is the inclusion of a phono pre amp (haven't tried it).  The one thing that doesn't shine are the power amps.  The are perfectly adequate for surround for the surround function they were designed to perform but uninspiring for Stereo listening.  Switch to 9.1 in the menu allows you to connect discrete amps which show that the front end is not the limiting factor.  I bought this unit for the Denon track record of: not burning up, good functions/menus, and the super DSP...I am not disappointed.  I would highly recommend this device to any one looking for a single unit with that can do it all.

Ratings
Overall:
Features:
Performance:
Color Accuracy:
Black Levels:
Value:
Design:
Video Quality:
Ease of Setup:
Remote:
The Film / Movie: