AVS Forum banner

Does your Onkyo 805 exhibit an audio delay problem

Onkyo 805 audio delay / lip synch problem

87K views 385 replies 132 participants last post by  MonkeyGoD 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a separate thread to document/discuss/analyze this apparent problem with the Onkyo 805 audio delay. I have seen this referred to elsewhere, but the issue is enough of a problem for some that it warrants a more focused discussion. Basically, some owners have observed that even when they set the audio delay to 0 msec, there is still a lag between the visual cue and corresponding audio. Unfortunately, I am one of those who experience the problem on their new 805 and to me it is quite pronounced. Usually the issue appears in the opposite order - where the video lags the audio (due to processing effects) and hence an audio delay is required to synch the two. However, with the 805 it is the other way around. The AUDIO seems delayed relative to the video even when the audio delay is set to 0 msec. It is almost as if there is a minimum audio delay build in, I would estimate around 50msec. I wonder if it might be related to Audyssey processing. I love my new 805 in every other way, but the persistent delay is very distracting to me and unless I can find a solution the unit will have to go back. Maybe it appears in only some units - hence the poll - and it would be worth replacing my 805 with another unit and trying again.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor /forum/post/0

I thought I would start a separate thread to document/discuss/analyze this apparent problem with the Onkyo 805 audio delay. I have seen this referred to elsewhere, but the issue is enough of a problem for some that it warrants a more focused discussion. Basically, some owners have observed that even when they set the audio delay to 0 msec, there is still a lag between the visual cue and corresponding audio. Unfortunately, I am one of those who experience the problem on their new 805 and to me it is quite pronounced. Usually the issue appears in the opposite order - where the video lags the audio (due to processing effects) and hence an audio delay is required to synch the two. However, with the 805 it is the other way around. The AUDIO seems delayed relative to the video even when the audio delay is set to 0 msec. It is almost as if there is a minimum audio delay build in, I would estimate around 50msec. I wonder if it might be related to Audyssey processing. I love my new 805 in every other way, but the persistent delay is very distracting to me and unless I can find a solution the unit will have to go back. Maybe it appears in only some units - hence the poll - and it would be worth replacing my 805 with another unit and trying again.

What sources and what connections?

I have no issues, everythings is in synch.

HD-DVD > 805 via HDMI.

HD-Cable > 805 via optical, with component going to TV from STB. No video through 805

Oppo player > 805 via HDMI, but I only use for music so obviously no issue.

If the TV audio is on and the 805 at the same time, there is an echo effect. But I never watch TV with both on.

I don't game or use it for real time apps, which is where most of the issues seem to be. And only a few games from what I've read.

Added:

I just read this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post11030665

Both my TV and DVD are HDMI 1.3. This may be why I have not noticed

#4 ·
revised on further testing.

Definitely a built in delay, obvious with a tap the microphone test. I have tested a couple of configurations and the problem seems to be worse on my setup when video is sent via HDMI and audio is sent via optical. Problem also seems to be much worse on Comcast HD - but this might be an exacerbation of a broadcast delay Comcast builds into HDTV. The Delay is also noticeable but less distracting with DVD's. I have about a week left on my 30 day CC return period. I'll wait a couple days and if no solutions come up I'll take it back - Too bad other than delay problem I love the 805.

#5 ·
I dont have any lip sync issues but i am currently only using it for my ps3 (blu rays and dvds). I hear more folks have issues with their cable boxes.

thx,

Claude

#7 ·
I have a new hypothesis. It seems that the 805 expects a video delay from its own internal processing and has an automatic audio delay to compensate for this. But when you feed it a true 720p signal - say from a cable box or game box - it pass the video through with no additional video delay - but it still adds the default audio delay, the result being delayed audio even when synch is set to 0 msec. This does not bode well for using the 805 with HD sources. I really want to keep the 805 but time is getting short for a return.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor /forum/post/0

I have a new hypothesis. It seems that the 805 expects a video delay from its own internal processing and has an automatic audio delay to compensate for this. But when you feed it a true 720p signal - say from a cable box or game box - it pass the video through with no additional video delay - but it still adds the default audio delay, the result being delayed audio even when synch is set to 0 msec. This does not bode well for using the 805 with HD sources. I really want to keep the 805 but time is getting short for a return.

Did you try turning off the Lip Sync support in the HDMI menu (the one with HDMI Audio Out and xvYCC)? I'm a 605 owner...

#9 ·
I've probably been the most vocal on this subject to the point of being annoying for some. Just to help out some people that would like to know more about this delay problem without looking through 100 pages in the 805 thread, here is a surmmary of things to know about the delay:

1. The delay is in the range of 47-76ms (according to my measurements). This directly depends on what distance you set your spkrs at. If you want to minimize the delay, then set your spkrs at the maximum available distance (this will enable you to have the lowest delay of 47ms). *TIP: If you are doing this tweak, make sure that your FARTHEST spkr is set to 30 ft, while your other spkrs should be configured relative to your farthest spkr

2. The audio delay is very hard to detect with regular video content (when using with any kind of video player). Even if you specifically looked for it, you would have a very hard time finding any sync problems between the video and the audio (as far as lip movements are concerned). This is why it is not surprising to see that most people do not know that their 805 has this delay.

3. It may be noticeable in realtime activities such as gaming (depends greatly on what kind of game). Some games such as Guitar Hero could suffer from this delay and also games with fast twict-based game play (like Counterstrike where the gun fires off the instant you click on the mouse button). Gears of War is not so much affected because the game has a builtin-trigger lag where weapons don't fire instantly.

4. Definitely noticeable if using a microphone or instrument that is connected to the receiver. Therefore, it makes this receiver very bad for karaoke, unless you use multi-ch inputs (see below)

5. ALL audio inputs (analog, digitalcoax, optical, HDMI) EXCEPT for Multi-Ch inputs are affected by this delay. Simply put, if you must have absolutely NO delays, use the Multi-Ch inputs. However, keep in mind that using Multi-ch inputs is only a partial workaround since you cannot apply any processing (EQ, surroundmodes/thx/audyssey/etc.) to multi channel inputs.

6. We have confirmation from Onkyo and Audyssey that the delays are caused by culimination of delays in the 3 DSP chips of the 805.

7. Lip sync delay settings will not solve the delay problem, only decrease it somewhat (you will still get a delay of ~47-76 ms even if you set the lipsync delay to 0ms). Using Direct or Pure Audio mode also will not get rid of the delay.

8. People tend to notice this delay better with HD/digital channels. What they are experiencing is the CULMINATION of the existing delay in the digital broadcast and the delay in the receiver. This delay may vary from broadcast to broadcast and does not neccessarily mean there is something wrong with your cable/sat box. When used with the 805, the receiver's delay will further exacerbate any existing delays in the broadcast. This is what most people tend to ask about, so I hope this answers it.

9. There are several ways to test for delay. The most effective is to use a microphone setup with the receiver and tap the microphone with you finger and see how instantly the sound reacts. Another method is to compare the original source audio with the sound coming from the receiver (ie. compare the sound of your TV with the sound of the same signal being fed to the receiver). The least effective way to test for this delay is to watch movies and see how the actors lips sync to the audio. As I've stated before, this will not likely yeild any noticeable delays.

#10 ·
MonkeyGod,

Thanks for your thoughtful response and cogent summary. What is annoying is that Onkyo would release an otherwise great receiver with this inexcusable flaw. As I am not a gamer and don't do karaoke, I can tolerate (actually not even notice) a longer video delay. So I am attempting to find a solution that will allow me to introduce an extra video delay to compensate for the unwanted audio delay. I wish someone from Onkyo would respond and at least acknowledge the issue - even if they are unable to fix it via firmware.

#11 ·
I returned mine as I found the delay unacceptable. I really really really wish Onkyo would fix this bug, or the higher up models turn out to have no delay. It is a great receiver.

For the people who answered this:

What Problem - No lip synch problems on my 805

Have you tried the tests in the forums to see if the delay exists, or are you just eyeballing it?

#14 ·
I find the delay the most noticeable on my DirecTV HR-20 & watchingHD-DVD's, that when I pause or rewind or fast forward content, there seems to be at least a 1 second delay, before the audio is made available & synchs up with the video end.

EDIT: Is this issue NOT with the 875? Have not read that monstrosity, as I do not own one!

#15 ·
I don't know, but I did post that question in the 875 thread a week ago and I haven't gotten any response yet about the issue.

They seemed to be more concerned about video issues such as the Reon upscaling and issues with PS3 compatibility at this point, so they haven't gotten around to testing out what really is important, which is the sound.

#20 ·
Has anyone tested changing using gaming mode? I am thinking gaming mode might take out delays since, if I recall, that is the purpose of gaming mode in other electronics.

This is the mode I am talking about:

Quote:
THX Games Mode: designed for use with video games and can expand a 2-channel and 5.1 channel source for 6.1/7.1-channel playback

I still haven't seen anyone perform an A/B comparison of the tests MonkeyGoD gave for the 805 on the 875 so we know definitively whether or not the delay exists exactly the same in the 875 or not. If they are the same, I would get the 805, but I really wish I knew if the 875 had it or not or I would spend the extra on that.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vd0 /forum/post/0

Has anyone tested changing using gaming mode? I am thinking gaming mode might take out delays since, if I recall, that is the purpose of gaming mode in other electronics.

You can only use that mode if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. Unfortunately, I don't have this setup, so I am unable to try it out. The only THX mode available to me with my 5.1 spkr setup is THX Cinema. From I've read, the Game mode makes it so you can localize the sound better (ie. you can tell with better accuracy where your opponent is), but I doubt that would would help any for the delay problem.

I have tried the PLII Game setting and the delay is still there.

#22 ·
UPDATE. I was able to get in e-mail contact with Chris Kyriakakis, Audyssey's Chief Technologies Officer and to my surprise, he actually got back to me which is more than I can say for Onkyo's customers support regarding this issue:

Here's our e-mail conversation so far:

----------------------------------

On Aug 12, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Monkey GoD wrote:

Hi,

I won't take too much of your time. I'm not really sure if this is the proper contact to be asking these questions, but if you can please give me your opinion or direct me to someone who might know the answer, I would appreciate it.

I'm an owner of an Onkyo 805 receiver. It is plagued by an audio delay problem. I've measured the delay to be 47-67ms (depending on what the speaker distances are, ranging from 0-30 feet). The only audio input that is not affected by this delay is the Multi-Channel inputs which are not subject to audio processing. I've tried calling Onkyo's customer support but they seem to be oblivious to the problem, which is why I thought contacting someone more technically minded such as yourself would give me better answers. I've also gone through a replacement receiver with the same problem

My question is if it is inherent in Audyssey MultEQ equipped receivers to introduce a small audio delay such as this that is not defeatable? I experience this delay even when i turn Audyssey off, turning off all processing, and turning down the lip-sync setting on the receiver. I am unsure if this is an issue with Audyssey or just Onkyo's implementation of it. Again, If you can please give me your opinion or direct me to someone who might know the answer, I would appreciate it.

Chris Kyriakakis wrote:

Any DSP processing will be subject to some amount of delay. This is determined by the DSP manufacturer to ensure that processing on incoming audio signals can be performed seamlessly. They set what is called a "block" or "frame" size and that is some number of samples deemed appropriate by the DSP manufacturer. The benefit of having a fixed block size is that the delay through the system is constant. That means it's the same regardless of what processes are running (Dolby, DTS, Audyssey, bass management, etc.).

So, this is not inherent in Audyssey-equipped receivers. It is inherent in all DSP products. Audyssey and any of the other digital processes do not add any additional delay to what the fixed block processing delay already is.

How are you measuring the delays through the 805? 47 ms seems higher than what I would expect and if you set the speaker distance to 30 ft, you should get 77 ms not 67 ms. In any case, these numbers seem high. Are you sure there is no lip-sync delay set? These receivers let you adjust that to match the delay in the video that is caused by all of the digital displays.

I will ask the Onkyo engineers that we work with and let you know what I hear back from them about this.

Best regards,

Chris

Chris Kyriakakis, PhD

Founder and Chief Technical Officer

Audyssey Laboratories
www.audyssey.com

On Aug 13, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Monkey GoD wrote:

I measured the sound by attaching a microphone to my computer. My computer is connected through digital coaxial to the receiver.

I held the microphone a foot away from the main spkrs and just tapped on the microphone with my finger. When i do this, i am recording own finger tapping the microphone and then the resulting echo i get when it comes out of the speaker. I measured the distance between the waveforms of these two taps. The result i got was a delay of 47ms when the spkr distances is set to 30 feet, and a delay of 76ms when the spkr distances are set to 0 feet. (I said 67ms before, but that was a typo in my last email.). These measurements are not exact, but give a rough measurement of this delay. I have an old 8 year old Onkyo that I have ran these tests on the same way and it not suffer this delay and was immeasurable using my method of testing.

The receiver does have a lip-sync adjustment that adjust audio delays which I have already turned down to 0 ms when i measured the audio delay. I have also measured this in Onkyo's "Pure Audio" mode, which supposedly minimizes any processing done to the audio signal. The result is the same. The Multi-channel analog inputs on the receiver seem to be the only input on the receiver that does not suffer this delay.

I know that there is some amount of delay with all DSP processing systems. However, this delay should not be noticeable to the human ear. The problem is that is that a delay of 46-76ms noticeable in some instances, which is especially noticeable in interactive activities such as karaoke or video gaming in which the audio is synced with your actions. It also exaggerates any delays that also exist in some digital broadcast channels.

I appreciate greatly your efforts and hope that you are able to find more than I did from Onkyo about this apparent problem.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD /forum/post/0

Yeah, I asked the questions MANY pages back on that thread. Would it be rude if i ask the question again in their thread?

I know I have been accused of being rude before when i asked the question in more than one thread...

I for one don't believe that you've been rude at any time during this entire investigation concerning the 805's inherent delay. Diligent, thorough, persevering, but definitely not rude. Your continuing involvement in this investigation is one of the main reasons we may eventually get answers to the questions concerning the cause of the delay and whether anything can be done to correct it.

Unfortunately, there are a few involved in the 805 thread who feel that any discussion of the 805's delay problem is a waste of time and not worth pursuing. I've been aware of this problem since shortly after buying my 805 and firmly believe that this is a problem with EVERY 805 out there. I also believe that the only people who don't think that their 805's have this problem are the ones who have not SCIENTIFICALLy tested for the delay.

Can I live with this delay, given my current uses of the 805, and its other strengths (of which there are many - especially considering the cost of the unit)? - YES. Would I like to know what's causing the delay and what can be done about it? - DEFINITELY.

MonkeyGod, please keep up the good work. There are many of us in agreement with you on this issue.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx /forum/post/0

I for one don't believe that you've been rude at any time during this entire investigation concerning the 805's inherent delay. Diligent, thorough, persevering, but definitely not rude. Your continuing involvement in this investigation is one of the main reasons we may eventually get answers to the questions concerning the cause of the delay and whether anything can be done to correct it.

Unfortunately, there are a few involved in the 805 thread who feel that any discussion of the 805's delay problem is a waste of time and not worth pursuing. I've been aware of this problem since shortly after buying my 805 and firmly believe that this is a problem with EVERY 805 out there. I also believe that the only people who don't think that their 805's have this problem are the ones who have not SCIENTIFICALLy tested for the delay.

Can I live with this delay, given my current uses of the 805, and its other strengths (of which there are many - especially considering the cost of the unit)? - YES. Would I like to know what's causing the delay and what can be done about it? - DEFINITELY.

MonkeyGod, please keep up the good work. There are many of us in agreement with you on this issue.

+1

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by binister /forum/post/0

I have the 705 and notice the same sort of delay when watching DVDs. The interesting thing is I don't always see it with my cable box, however I do always see it with my DVD player.

Does that model have delay settings for each individual input? if so, you should try lowering it to 0ms and see what happens then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.