AVS Forum banner

Velocity Micro MCE

137K views 1K replies 129 participants last post by  Larry Stewart 
#1 ·
The cablecard thread was getting a bit off topic so I have created this thread for more general questions about the new Velocity Micro Media Center systems.

I'm Hoping Chris will join us here soon. I should probably state that I don't work for Velocity Micro, so I don't have much information other than what I gleamed during the order process for my system.

Since I started this, I'll go ahead and ask the first questions:

Chris, we talked earlier on email about raid options on the new MCE's. Can you tell us more about how the Raidstorm raid system works. Since the initial system will be using the software version, what expansion features will it offer if we want to add more drive space in the furture?

Lastly, how much hard drive space (locations for hard drives) does the CineMagix Grand Theater system have?

#1,078 ·
Just an update: I called in again to VM last Friday and talked to a CS rep (this time I called in the morning to be sure that everyone was there) who promised to check on my system again. I also left a voicemail with Chris with my order number. I'm not sure which was the main factor, but about an hour later I finally got the email that my system was staged for assembly. They actually finished and shipped it the following Monday, and I received it on Tuesday (next day air). It took way too long, but once the ball got rolling, it really rolled fast!

The packing job and hardware assembly was very good, everything arrived undamaged as far as I can tell. The Zonet wifi card was not included (did they run out again?), but that's okay because I want to put an 802.11n card in anyway (D-Link DWA-556 to match my DIR-655 router).

Software was another story. After booting up and going through the preliminary Vista setup, my first logon produced an error message (cannot find desktop and cannot connect to user profile manager service) and only showed the classic non-Aero interface. Nothing was working, not even opening up Explorer or Control Panel. Customer service recommended that I re-install Vista, which I did, and everything was fine after that. I'm still not sure if I re-installed all of the drivers correctly (the custom VM drivers disk was a nice touch, but wasn't documented very well); I still have one unknown device in the device manager. I didn't install the Intel audio driver because the Vista one seemed to be working well (using optical out to my receiver), and I didn't install the Intel IR driver because IRTrans seemed to be working fine, too.

I'm still considering putting in an Audigy2 ZS that I have lying around. Would this be better than the onboard sound or not make a difference?

I'll have to wait until next Thursday for Time Warner (Los Angeles) to come out and install the two CableCards. When I called in, I didn't even try to say it was for a PC and told them it was for a Tivo Series3, instead. The good thing is that there is no charge to rent the CableCards here, so I'll be saving $10/mo by turning in my cable box. Hopefully everything will go smoothly . I'll be reading up on VMC CableCard installs in the meantime.

#1,079 ·
I guess for those of us with skills receiving a computer that doesn't work OOTB isn't such a big issue, but it does make me wonder why we would want to pay someone to put together something that we then have to configure ourselves. I had thought one of the benefits of a pre-built HTPC was that everything would be set up to work, including making sure there were no driver conflicts, etc. Hmm.

#1,080 ·
That is the only problem with the Windows Media Center solution, it is just not quite there in terms of ease of installation. The system needs to be much more appliance like. Just plug 'n play. The OP's problem just sounds like another case of VM's QA issues...to pay that much and have to do an OS install manually (no image disk) is a little ridiculous. Does anyone with another OEMs Cablecard Vista Media Center; did your OEM include a restore disk or do you have the raw Windows installation and driver disks?

Still fighting Cable card issues over here as well...one card will not receive the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Stars, Flix, IFC, etc.). Other card is fine. Comcast coming out today to swap the bad card...fingers crossed.

-- Jim

#1,082 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelite /forum/post/0

jmallory, are those motorola cards?...let me know if swapping out cards fixes the premium problem.

It was a provisioning problem. They had the programming on one of the cards completely screwed up. The tech that was here said they fixed the programming, did a "hard hit" on the card (this may be the INIT command that Microsoft refers to in the Cablecard FAQ,) and then did a "soft hit" (probably the actual HIT command) and that cleared the problem.

BTW, these are Motorola CC's.

-- Jim

#1,083 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunch /forum/post/0

Software was another story. After booting up and going through the preliminary Vista setup, my first logon produced an error message (cannot find desktop and cannot connect to user profile manager service) and only showed the classic non-Aero interface. Nothing was working, not even opening up Explorer or Control Panel. Customer service recommended that I re-install Vista, which I did, and everything was fine after that. I'm still not sure if I re-installed all of the drivers correctly (the custom VM drivers disk was a nice touch, but wasn't documented very well); I still have one unknown device in the device manager. I didn't install the Intel audio driver because the Vista one seemed to be working well (using optical out to my receiver), and I didn't install the Intel IR driver because IRTrans seemed to be working fine, too.

That is completely messed up. I signed off on the OS image that is blasted onto those systems and I have no idea how that could have happened - I have never heard of that before.

As to the bang in device manager - $5 says it's the intel management engine and you can download the drivers for the DP35DP on www.intel.com - and I'd get the latest chipset drivers, intel matrix storage manager, and the latest audio drivers add ADAT support - worth the download.

Again, I have NEVER heard of the software issue you experienced...but very sorry you did!

#1,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDT /forum/post/0

I guess for those of us with skills receiving a computer that doesn't work OOTB isn't such a big issue, but it does make me wonder why we would want to pay someone to put together something that we then have to configure ourselves. I had thought one of the benefits of a pre-built HTPC was that everything would be set up to work, including making sure there were no driver conflicts, etc. Hmm.

That's what we do - this is something I have never heard of before.

#1,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory /forum/post/0

That is the only problem with the Windows Media Center solution, it is just not quite there in terms of ease of installation. The system needs to be much more appliance like. Just plug 'n play. The OP's problem just sounds like another case of VM's QA issues...to pay that much and have to do an OS install manually (no image disk) is a little ridiculous. Does anyone with another OEMs Cablecard Vista Media Center; did your OEM include a restore disk or do you have the raw Windows installation and driver disks?

Still fighting Cable card issues over here as well...one card will not receive the movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Stars, Flix, IFC, etc.). Other card is fine. Comcast coming out today to swap the bad card...fingers crossed.

-- Jim

Our direct status with Microsoft disallows us from creating seperate media disks with OS files on it. That means we cannot provide you with a Vista install disk and a recovery disk. Alienware has been sued for this. We could lose our direct status with MS if we breached this term.

We are going to be deploying a new software suite in a few weeks that allows customers to create their own backup disks without having to buy Vista Ultimate. This is a perfectly legal solution that will allow us to be in compliance with Microsoft. Again, no custom restore disk is a direct result of our OEM status with MS - the same status that allows us to sell digital cable tuners to begin with.

#1,086 ·

Quote:

I think between the big-box store contract and the popularity of their media centers, they have bit off a lot more than they can chew and the quality and customer service is suffering. Unless you need a HTPC style case (like I did), I certainly can't justify the premium price I paid. I am not saying you won't have problems with HP or Dell, but at least you aren't paying a premium and still have the problems.

We're selling a lot of these systems. What I have always noticed is that people are always motivated to post when they are upset or having issues, yet when everything goes well they'd rather be using the product.
It's a phenomenon that you can see anyware...

But please know that I am always behind the scenes making sure that we're doing our best. I've helped a lot of you guys in here and I'll continue to do what I can if there are issues. The fact that I still have my job should be an indication that we're doing a lot right.

#1,087 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley /forum/post/0

Our direct status with Microsoft disallows us from creating seperate media disks with OS files on it. That means we cannot provide you with a Vista install disk and a recovery disk. Alienware has been sued for this. We could lose our direct status with MS if we breached this term.

We are going to be deploying a new software suite in a few weeks that allows customers to create their own backup disks without having to buy Vista Ultimate. This is a perfectly legal solution that will allow us to be in compliance with Microsoft. Again, no custom restore disk is a direct result of our OEM status with MS - the same status that allows us to sell digital cable tuners to begin with.

Will existing users have access to this new suite? Thanks.

#1,088 ·

Quote:

We're selling a lot of these systems. What I have always noticed is that people are always motivated to post when they are upset or having issues, yet when everything goes well they'd rather be using the product.
It's a phenomenon that you can see anyware...

But please know that I am always behind the scenes making sure that we're doing our best. I've helped a lot of you guys in here and I'll continue to do what I can if there are issues. The fact that I still have my job should be an indication that we're doing a lot right.

Chris, I really appreciate the help you give us individually and as a group...I apologize if I am making it sound otherwise. But some of us have gone through some pretty hellish experiences. I waited close to (if not over) 12 weeks from initial order to receiving a system that worked. I realize some of it like the availability of the DCTs is out of VM's hands (the problem with only one vendor making these things) but the most aggregavating thing is the lack of communication back to us and I have seen cases (based on Email exchanges) where VM is not communicating well internally. I might be able to understand Dell or HP doing this BUT VM is supposed to be a "premium" builder and given the premium paid for these machines I expect better. Being primarily an Apple user (and I realize they aren't perfect either) and have experienced Apple support in the past...VM is just not there yet. And it is a shame because I REALLY WANT someone to be there. As a hobbyist, sometimes I have to buy Windows machines and I would be happy to pay "Apple" prices to get the "Apple" experience on the Windows platform. My number one thing VM should take away from this is. Fix the communication. Let us know why the build date is slipping proactively...don't make us call in.

-- Jim

#1,089 ·

Quote:

Chris, I really appreciate the help you give us individually and as a group...I apologize if I am making it sound otherwise. But some of us have gone through some pretty hellish experiences. I waited close to (if not over) 12 weeks from initial order to receiving a system that worked. I realize some of it like the availability of the DCTs is out of VM's hands (the problem with only one vendor making these things) but the most aggregavating thing is the lack of communication back to us and I have seen cases (based on Email exchanges) where VM is not communicating well internally. I might be able to understand Dell or HP doing this BUT VM is supposed to be a "premium" builder and given the premium paid for these machines I expect better. Being primarily an Apple user (and I realize they aren't perfect either) and have experienced Apple support in the past...VM is just not there yet. And it is a shame because I REALLY WANT someone to be there. As a hobbyist, sometimes I have to buy Windows machines and I would be happy to pay "Apple" prices to get the "Apple" experience on the Windows platform. My number one thing VM should take away from this is. Fix the communication. Let us know why the build date is slipping proactively...don't make us call in.

-- Jim

I agree with you 100%. I make people aware of this thread as a litmus test on how we handle adversity.

#1,090 ·

Quote:

Will existing users have access to this new suite? Thanks.

I am not sure how it would work, but follow up with me next month - in the mean time if you have Vista Ultimate you can create your own image, or if you wanted to buy Nero BackItUp, that is a solution we have considered as well and have tested it out.

#1,091 ·

Quote:

I am not sure how it would work, but follow up with me next month - in the mean time if you have Vista Ultimate you can create your own image, or if you wanted to buy Nero BackItUp, that is a solution we have considered as well and have tested it out.

Will do...also is the "no supplied image disk" something they changed with Vista? The last Windows machine I bought was a Dell Laptop for my in-laws (and don't ask about that machine) and that I believe came with an install disk to put all the shovelware back on (along with the OS, maybe that is why Microsoft forbids it now). I would also point out to Microsoft that Apple also provides a image disk with its systems (luckily shovelware is at a minimum there as well) machines and it is a good thing for an inexperienced end user to have when OS installs need to be done. For example, my sister-in-law just got a new HP with Vista and I just assumed it came with an image disk...I would really hate to try walking her through an OS install. (And yes, I am the one they call when they need help.)

In terms of upgrading to Ultimate or third-party...I am planning on getting a Windows Home Server (possibly in the Spring) and I understand it can do the same thing with both XP and Vista with the advantage of the image being stored on the server...I was just looking for something to hold me over.

-- Jim

#1,092 ·
Chris,

Thanks for all of the replies and your support. I was a bit concerned when you seemed to disappear for a week, but then again it is vacation season :)

VelocityMicro is now at the top of my short list for a VistaMC solution, as it seems to be the only one that allows customization to my liking and has the AV component form factor.

Last evening my wife was complaining that there is no way to store the last couple of episodes of "So You Think You Can Dance" which she would like to keep on the DVR we have (FiOS), but there just isn't the space for any kind of longer-term storage. This gave me an opening to mention that a HTPC would allow us to burn something like that onto a DVD.... Hopefully the impending FiOS DVR update with a reported 30% in recording space will push her over the edge.

Again, it appears like you guys are very dedicated to this product and I understand that problems will occur -- and that people are much more likely to post on forums like this with problems than with "golly it's wonderful" comments. Thanks again!

#1,093 ·

Quote:

Chris,

Thanks for all of the replies and your support. I was a bit concerned when you seemed to disappear for a week, but then again it is vacation season :)

VelocityMicro is now at the top of my short list for a VistaMC solution, as it seems to be the only one that allows customization to my liking and has the AV component form factor.

Last evening my wife was complaining that there is no way to store the last couple of episodes of "So You Think You Can Dance" which she would like to keep on the DVR we have (FiOS), but there just isn't the space for any kind of longer-term storage. This gave me an opening to mention that a HTPC would allow us to burn something like that onto a DVD.... Hopefully the impending FiOS DVR update with a reported 30% in recording space will push her over the edge.

Again, it appears like you guys are very dedicated to this product and I understand that problems will occur -- and that people are much more likely to post on forums like this with problems than with "golly it's wonderful" comments. Thanks again!

AFAIK, anything sent through the Cablecard is protected. I am not sure you are going to be able to burn it to DVD per se (I haven't tried but that is my undertanding). Although, with enough storage you can store shows for a very long time. My old HTPC with 450GB of space dedicated to TV could store a couple months worth of programming (SD only). The VM machine has 1.75TB (nearly 4x as much) available for TV recording so we should be able to store a lot more even with a good bit of HiDef programming in the mix.

-- Jim

#1,094 ·

Quote:

Chris,

Glad to be here - warts and all, it's better to give as much honesty and visibility to our clients and prospective clients then to take a head in the sand stance. I can take the pressure, I know we're doing the right things and fixing what goes wrong. Sorry to drop off the radar for a while - work and home life sometimes keep me off the forums but I'll always come back.

And while sometimes you are able to burn playable DVDs with CableCARD depending on the locale - most of the time you cannot and particularly so when it's premium content. However, you can back up the recordings as a data disk and move them off the HDD for archiving purposes.

#1,096 ·
Hello guys. I am very sorry to inform you I've resigned my position at Velocity Micro. If you have any open issues that you were dealing with me on, I highly suggest you contact Brent Stanton to have them addressed.

I will also pop in from time to time to see how I can help.

Thank you very much for all of your support.

#1,098 ·
Not a good sign for Velocity. Admittedly, I have moved from being an enthusiastic customer to being rather dissatisfied, but Chris has always been very professional and helpful. I wish him well in any future endeavors. Chris you are a class act and your contributions will be sorely missed.

#1,099 ·
Had nothing to do with you guys, media centers, OCUR, or the like. It was a personal decision and one that was right all the way around. Thanks for your support, and I'll be around.

#1,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelite /forum/post/0

have fun with the cablecards Eugen..I'm still trying to get em working perfectly.

Well,

I just wanted to report a positive experience here as well which, at least from what you can read in these forums, is very rare. So, Cablevision came today to install two cablecards in my VM machine. I was prepared, took all the advices and all precautions to increase the success rate of this process. I had my print-outs and a whole mental process figured out. The technician who came had no idea what a MCE machine was, he didn' t even hear about TIVO. He let me do the installation but he was the one who called to do the provisioning. He was in a hurry and didn't want to stay till the end of the setup process (after pairing I was setting up the program guide and that takes about 5-6 minutes). He told me everything should be fine because the person in the call center told him there was no problem with the activation of the cards.

3 minutes after he left I tuned an HD channel and after 20 seconds I received a message telling me that my decoder was not able to playback premium content. After 20 minutes of googling I found about a guy who reinstalled the OS to go around that. He got into trouble by installing latest (at the time) ATI drivers. Myself I installed PowerDVD so that I could watch HD DVDs and suspected this had to do with my new problems. I know that only MS MPEG2 decoder is the one that plays back protected content but at the time I did the activation of the cablecards the PowerDVD decoder was the one set up as default. I was prepared to reinstall the OS when I checked to see if ATI posted new drivers and, they did. The latest Catalyst version is 7.8 and after I installed it, boom, all channels working, even all the premiums (HBOHD, SHOWHD, TMCHD, STARZHD). I have over 40 HD channels and am very pleased with the whole setup.

I must say this was the easiest, less problematic cablecard installation I have heard about. Now that everything is working I am really happy with the whole setup. My next step is to attach my DVD changer (XL1B) but this shouldn't cause any problems really.

#1,101 ·

Quote:

Had nothing to do with you guys, media centers, OCUR, or the like. It was a personal decision and one that was right all the way around. Thanks for your support, and I'll be around.

I also want to thank you very much for all your support and wish you well in your new endeavors. I believe I speak for everyone here when I say you are a man with a passion and it is a pitty VM lost a person like you. But hey, I am sure you thought about this, you should start your own media center boutique. I will recommed you to everyone I know. Seriously, if you didn't think about it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.