AVS Forum banner

Does your Onkyo 805 exhibit an audio delay problem

Onkyo 805 audio delay / lip synch problem

87K views 385 replies 132 participants last post by  MonkeyGoD 
#1 ·
I thought I would start a separate thread to document/discuss/analyze this apparent problem with the Onkyo 805 audio delay. I have seen this referred to elsewhere, but the issue is enough of a problem for some that it warrants a more focused discussion. Basically, some owners have observed that even when they set the audio delay to 0 msec, there is still a lag between the visual cue and corresponding audio. Unfortunately, I am one of those who experience the problem on their new 805 and to me it is quite pronounced. Usually the issue appears in the opposite order - where the video lags the audio (due to processing effects) and hence an audio delay is required to synch the two. However, with the 805 it is the other way around. The AUDIO seems delayed relative to the video even when the audio delay is set to 0 msec. It is almost as if there is a minimum audio delay build in, I would estimate around 50msec. I wonder if it might be related to Audyssey processing. I love my new 805 in every other way, but the persistent delay is very distracting to me and unless I can find a solution the unit will have to go back. Maybe it appears in only some units - hence the poll - and it would be worth replacing my 805 with another unit and trying again.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFoley /forum/post/0

Does that model have delay settings for each individual input? if so, you should try lowering it to 0ms and see what happens then.

Not trying to be a grump, but did you bother to read any of the thread before posting that? The problem is that there is an inherent audio delay even when all inputs are set to 0ms (except for the multichannel input).

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T /forum/post/0

Not trying to be a grump, but did you bother to read any of the thread before posting that? The problem is that there is an inherent audio delay even when all inputs are set to 0ms (except for the multichannel input).

Grump? I posted about this issue in the 805 thread more than a few times. I'm just making sure that the poster has the ability to or previously set that delay setting a 0ms. He's made no previous mention (in this thread at least) that he is aware of the factory defaults. It's a change that you can forget to make when you have to manually add/remove the factory installed delay setting on each specific input.

#30 ·
I definitely noticed the delay when watching the Matrix when I was test driving the 805. I have heard that the Matrix had some lip syncing that was native to the HD DVD while having audio set to TrueHD. 805 delay was unacceptable for me and I returned it and got the Denon 3808ci. I do not notice the delay with the Denon while watching with the exact same setup. Obviously something that should be fixed with the Onkyo.

#31 ·
Nick: I apologize for the comment. Reading your first sentence, it sounded to me like you were unfamiliar with the 805 and hadn't thoroughly researched the issue. In the 805 thread, people have said things like "buy a Felston", which shows they are very uninformed on the issue. The delay thing is complicated enough without uninformed people throwing inaccurate comments around that further confuse the issue. MonkeyGod has gone way out of his way to research and explain the issue and it's frustrating when people shoot down his input with uninformed comments.

Anyway, from reading your following posts, I see that you are familiar with the delay issue and weren't intending to confuse anyone. I guess I either misread or read too much into your post. Again, I apologize.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT23 /forum/post/11334316

I definitely noticed the delay when watching the Matrix when I was test driving the 805. I have heard that the Matrix had some lip syncing that was native to the HD DVD while having audio set to TrueHD. 805 delay was unacceptable for me and I returned it and got the Denon 3808ci. I do not notice the delay with the Denon while watching with the exact same setup. Obviously something that should be fixed with the Onkyo.

So you didn't even notice the delay that was native to the movie?

#38 ·
This issue varies so much from person to person. I'm guessing some people don't have any problems because their set/sources already have some video delay, so this compensates for the 805's audio delay. If a person has a set/source that doesn't have any video lag, then the audio delay problem will be more apparent.

#39 ·
I think I'm noticing the same type of thing with my 705, but only with Guitar Hero 2 for now. While on mute, I can play perfectly, but when relying on sound, I miss a lot of notes that I would otherwise normally hit. When I do GH2's built in lag calibration, I can no longer do perfectly on mute (relying only on video), but I can by just listening to the audio.

Tonight, I plan on setting the speakers to the max distances to see if that helps. Does anyone know if there's any good way to delay the video?

#41 ·
I have the same issue and its on an 875... I am slightly past my return policy and just realized it was an issue after trying to play guitar hero II last night. I can normally beat songs on expert with relative ease now with everything being piped through the receiver its almost unplayable. Also I didnt realize it at the time but, a couple of my buddies were over my house last week and we were playing madden 08 and they insisted something was wrong with their controllers and that they were delayed, I didnt notice it until they pointed it out and realize its a bigger issue (even at speakers set to 30ft). Something definitely needs to be done, I and I'm sure many others, bought this thing primarily for gaming and now we see the whole Onkyo line is flawed for exactly that.

#42 ·
I've heard from someone on AVS that the 875 introduces a video delay as well as an audio delay. So I believe what you are experiencing is both a video/audio delay because a game like Madden08 shouldn't be affected to any noticeable degree by just the audio delay since its a visually driven game.

The good thing with that is for movies, they will help compensate each other since both will end up being synced. But it becomes doubly bad if youre playing games since most of it is visual. If it was just an audio delay, most games would play fine and no one would notice, but a visual delay is inexcusable for gaming and can really hamper the experience.

First thing I would try is to disable any kind of video processing on the 875 or anything that has to do with the Reon chip (ie. upconversion, etc). You already did the 'speakers at 30ft' settings which should help with the audio portion.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarozzo /forum/post/11608703

I have tried to set it to "through" with little or no change. Frustrating. I will probably have to bypass my 1600 dollar receiver completely to play the very games I bought the receiver to enhance, fantastic.

Well, the way I look at it is that your receiver won't really do much to enhance it anyways with the video. Madden08 (on PS3/xbox360)runs natively at 720p anyways doesn't it? So it's not like there's going to be much difference between what it would look like with or w/o running it through the Reon chip, IMO. You can still run the audio digitally to the receiver to take advantage of the receiver's sound. I'd view it as more of an inconvenience than a total waste. The Reon chip will still be good when you are viewing non-interactive material (movies).

#45 ·
Definately not a total waste because everything else about the receiver is awesome but this flaw is definitely dissapointing. Also running the video signal straight to my display (projector) would eliminate the video delay, but the audio delay would still be there... then I would still be screwed up.

#46 ·
Not sure how relevant to the discussion this is, but I found Dance Dance Revolution and In the Groove for the PS2 were basically unplayable on my Onkyo 905 with default settings. Fortunately, these games include an option to re-adjust the a/v sync. It has to be done by trial+error "feel", but hey at least its there. Reducing the rcvr's audio sync setting from 40ms to 0 helped too (needed less in-game re-syncing). Changing output from 1080 to thru didnt seem to make a difference

I don't notice any lag/sync issues on DVD/BR movies or PS3 gaming

KO

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackScott /forum/post/11598181

So guys, has there been any good support from Onkyo on this issue? Have they even mentioned a firmware fix, or is this purely speculation? I'm about ready to send my 705 back.

I have had my 805 for about 3 weeks, and I too noticed a problem with the audio laging behind the video. I contacted Onkyo about this, and spoke to one of their technicians. I explained that I had set the audio delay to 0ms, but was still experiencing a delay in the audio compared to the video. He then asked me if the audio delay setting went negative, and I said 'no' that the minimum setting was 0ms. He told me to return the receiver to where I purchased it (J&R). I contacted J&R and they are sending a replacement. It will be interesting to see if the problem carries over to the replacement unit.

#48 ·
I'm sorry to say that I have not read about any instances where a replacement unit has fixed this delay issue. Everyone that has properly tested for this delay on the 805 has experienced it. Those that haven't tested properly either notice it or don't notice it.

There is also some evidence from other posters that suggests that the 875 and 905 are also affected.

I believe the best you can hope for if you plan to keep the 805 is a firmware fix, which is up in the air at this point.

#49 ·
I can guarantee you the problem will carry over, it amazes me that to this point onkyo "technicians" are still giving out such terrible advice and dont even know their owns products well enough to ask a ridiculous question like "He then asked me if the audio delay setting went negative" then tell you to return it because of the delay. They are supposed to be the experts arent they? And yes the 875 has the same problem, except I dont notice sync problems, just a delay in actions with a controller compared to what I see on screen and expect to hear.

#50 ·
MonkeyGoD - I thought you might appreciate this since I think there was some concern from ChadT regarding your idea to reset all your speaker distances based on the 30-foot Audyssey maximum. This answer from Chris addresses those concerns:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

> There's an audio delay issue with the Onkyo 805 (which I believe

> you are aware of) that can be somewhat mitigated by basing all of

> one's speaker measurements off of the 30-foot speaker distance

> limit for Audyssey.

>

> For example:

>

> True distances to speakers -> sub=17, FR=14, FL=14, C=13, RR=8, RL=8

>

> Distances I would use after running Audyssey (i.e., I would reset Audyssey-

> derived distances to these distances) in order to minimize delay -> sub=30

> (17+13), FR=14+13=27, FL=14+13=27, C=13+13=26, RR=8+13=21, RL=8+13=21

>

> Would changing the total distance while keeping the relative distances between

> the speakers the same screw up Audyssey's settings in some way? Someone

> mentioned that the filters Audyssey uses may use distance as one of their input

> parameters and therefore doing something like this might negate some of the

> benefit of running Audyssey.

As long as the relative distances remain the same you are fine. So

adding the same number to all speakers is OK. The filters are not

affected by the distance/delay settings as these come after the

filters are calculated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.