AVS Forum banner

HD DVD Continues to Deliver the Most Affordable Hardware Plus the Year's Biggest Box

8K views 113 replies 59 participants last post by  aristotles 
#1 ·
Press Release Source: North American HD DVD Promotional Group

HD DVD Continues to Deliver the Most Affordable Hardware Plus the Year's Biggest Box Office Hits

Wednesday September 5, 6:00 pm ET

Promotional Group Rolling Out 4th Quarter Marketing Campaign to Support More than 125 Movie Titles Representing $3 Billion in Box Office Revenue; HD DVD Announces Season-long Partnership with NBC Television Station Group for Sunday Night Football Broadcasts

DENVER, Sept. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at the CEDIA EXPO 2007, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group showcased undeniable momentum for the high def format, announcing an aggressive fourth quarter marketing campaign to support a strong slate of more than 125 high definition movies, as well as expanded hardware offerings that take the consumer experience to new levels. Fueled by support from major Hollywood studios, including Warner Bros, Universal, and the recently exclusive Paramount and DreamWorks Animation; from leading hardware manufacturers including Toshiba and Onkyo; and from four of the top five PC Notebook manufacturers in the world; HD DVD continues to offer the best overall experience and the most affordable prices of all next generation formats.

In a clear show of marketing muscle leading into the holidays, Toshiba announced a season-long promotional campaign partnering with the NBC Television Station Group and its broadcasts of Sunday Night Football. This campaign includes 30 second HD DVD ads to air in key NBC television markets broadcasting Sunday Night Football, web sponsorships promoting the format, as well as special on-air HD DVD vignettes that will help educate consumers on how they can receive the ultimate high definition experience through their HDTV. The HD DVD vignettes will air in shows such as "Football Night in America" hosted by Bob Costas, Cris Collinsworth, Keith Olbermann, Tiki Barber and Jerome Bettis. This season-long campaign will communicate the many benefits of HD DVD to more than 72 million households through the holidays and into 2008.

"Today's announcements leave no doubt about the level of commitment driving this format -- HD DVD is the best choice for consumers and it's available today," said Ken Graffeo, co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group. "With a strong line up of hardware and software, as well as key promotional activities through Sunday Night Football, we're making HD DVD an easy choice for the holiday and a must for every home theater."

Universal, Paramount Studios and Warner Bros announced a broad slate of more than 125 titles for 4th quarter, featuring blockbuster new releases and catalog titles that delivered box office returns of more than $3 billion. Toshiba also reaffirmed in its press conference today that it continues to hold a majority lead in dedicated high definition players in the U.S.

HD DVD currently offers more than 300 titles available in the US, with player pricing starting at under $300 for dedicated CE players and $179 for the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. HD DVD is also the only format with mandatory features on every machine such as a network connection to access web-enabled content and picture-in-picture capabilities to personalize the movie watching experience. To help future proof your home video collections, HD DVD also exclusively offers combo discs (DVD on one side and HD DVD on the other).

About HD DVD

The DVD Forum develops and defines DVD formats. Its more than 200 strong membership brings together leaders in movies and entertainment, computing, consumer electronics and software. In November 2003, the DVD Forum selected a single technology as the next-generation, post-DVD standard for high capacity, high definition optical discs -- HD DVD. HD DVD is fast becoming the primary visual medium for the age of high-definition TV. The North American HD DVD Promotional Group, Inc. is an organization established to promote the HD DVD format and educate consumers in North America. For more information and a complete listing of HD DVD launch titles please visit http://www.TheLookAndSoundOfPerfect.com .

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070905/aqw155.html?.v=11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: North American HD DVD Promotional Group

See less See more
#2 ·
^^About time ...I've been waiting for thei marketing ads to expand ... and a better way to do it is Monday Night Football !!!

#3 ·
I wonder where they got the number 125 from?

I don't suppose anyone offered up a list did they?

125 HD DVD movies being released in just the 4th Qtr. would be great though, thats for sure.

And Sunday Night Football is exactly what J6P watches.

If the NFL tells them to buy HD DVD I would imagine a lot of them will.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalahmar /forum/post/11532432

It's only the first day of CEDIA, give it another

I'd love to. But this is the press release of the HD DVD PRG, for crying out loud. I would expect that they would bring out all the big guns, if there ever were, in the PR. Seems like they were carrying a few empty holsters.

#12 ·
I think they need a discussion with Dana White...that would also be huge. Imagine an HD DVD logo right in the middle of the octagon during UFC events...why not other sporting events.... HBO Boxing, etc.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 /forum/post/11532567

The Monday Night Football promotion is pretty darn big. As a bluray fan, Im a little jealous.

However, dont forget that ABC/ESPN is owned by Disney and they get all those college football games. This could be blurays counter. We shall see

Sunday Night Football, on NBC, part of NBC Universal!

#16 ·
The college crowd wouldn't be able to afford the high price tag of BR players... HD DVD is in the college kids budget. he he.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrmx01 /forum/post/11532616

The college crowd wouldn't be able to afford the high price tag of BR players... HD DVD is in the college kids budget. he he.

College football is watched by just as many, if not more, "non-college-kids" as do college kids. Some of those folks tend to have generous incomes to lavish on HDTVs and nice HD disc players to complement them. And Monday Night Football has more high profile matches and draws in more eyeballs than Sunday Night Football.

#18 ·

Quote:

I assure you kids arent the only ones watching college football and ESPN when you consider how much money the programs get from boosters and such. Dont forget college kids do have a PS3. :)

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/11532663

College football is watched by just as many, if not more, "non-college-kids" as do college kids. Some of those folks tend to have generous incomes to lavish on HDTVs and nice HD disc players to complement them. And Monday Night Football has more high profile matches and draws in more eyeballs than Sunday Night Football.

Well, Monday Night Football is now broadcast on ESPN, which doesnt reach as many people as NBC's Sunday Night Football. Not to mention that the Monday Night Football is no longer considered the game of the week, while Sunday Night Football is. It almost always features a very good matchup.

Either way, having HD-DVD ads on NBC's SNF is big.

#22 ·

Quote:

Are you kidding? Have you read the posts on various sections of AVS? There's a guy asking questions about putting his 50" Pio plasma in his dorm room!

College kids always manage to get cool stuff. By the holidays there will be enough games out for PS3 that it will definitely be cool

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma /forum/post/11532718

Are you kidding? Have you read the posts on various sections of AVS? There's a guy asking questions about putting his 50" Pio plasma in his dorm room!

College kids always manage to get cool stuff. By the holidays there will be enough games out for PS3 that it will definitely be cool

Yeah, Im a graduate student in biochemistry and I have a Samsung HPT5084 and a Samsung LNT4065F, a PS3, Xbox 360, HD cable and a Sony Surround system.

If I get into HD-DVD, I will get a standalone, not the 360 addon. I spoil myself.

#25 ·
I don't feel the Integra is a huge deal, it's great that there is going to be another hardware supporter out there, but based on the price I feel all HD DVD faithful that bag on BD for their insane prices look pretty foolish here. I doubt the the new Onkyo and Integra players will even tilt the war in any degree.

#26 ·
Sunday Night Football screams J6P. I hope the people here on AVS realize that they are not J6P and neither format is worried about us. It's all about mass market acceptance and what a great way to reach the masses with Sunday Night Football and cheap players. Don't be bitter. It's good news no matter how you spin it. Good job HD DVD!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.