AVS Forum banner

The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!

Tags
nad
793K views 5K replies 444 participants last post by  Miguel86 
#1 ·
See less See more
#52 ·
Well, it certanly doesn't work

With the coax it nicely works! And my B&W 604S3's gives some bang for their bucks. I am very dissapointed in the no audio via HDMI as i was certain I had read it featured it. But what the hell it's just a few extra bucks for a cable. But for those of you with many AV sources i'd recommend caching out for a 775 then.

I'll be back later with some more impressions. Have to try out the audessy and see if it sucks as much as people claim, along with other stuff

If you want me to try things, please say so (and be as precise as you can, I'm fairly new in the whole reciever buisness)

#53 ·
Ok I just tested the Audessy, and besides a 0.3m off on one speaker it detected the distanced quite well. I also founds the levels better than default nothing, I especially like that it boosted my left front as it has some things in front of it compared to the right front. I still felt a need to bost the diolog center in the tone control slightly, but that may very well have more to do with me having english at 2nd language and needing slightly clearer voices to understand

#54 ·
"All four models route incoming HDMI signals in their original resolution, up to and including 1080p, and of course accept digital-audio via HDMI, simplifying hookup."

"All four models" refers to the T175, T765, T775, and T785.

however, in the same article, there's this:

"The T 765 provides straightforward HDMI switching (video-only)..."

Someone should probably clarify this.

How are you sending HDMI audio to it? What player are you using?

here's the link:
http://nadelectronics.com/news/NADs-New-AV-Components

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc1 /forum/post/11776092

"All four models route incoming HDMI signals in their original resolution, up to and including 1080p, and of course accept digital-audio via HDMI, simplifying hookup."

"All four models" refers to the T175, T765, T775, and T785.

however, in the same article, there's this:

"The T 765 provides straightforward HDMI switching (video-only)..."

Someone should probably clarify this.

How are you sending HDMI audio to it? What player are you using?

here's the link:
http://nadelectronics.com/news/NADs-New-AV-Components

Thats where I was getting the info from.

According to NEY's above post, he is using the Denon 1940.

For me, it seems too much of a feature for Nad to leave out on the 765

Ney what does it suggest in the user manual - have you spoke to your dealer - have you tried another HDMI cable??

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffiafinati /forum/post/11776840

I have been reading the specs on these new receivers and am wondering if they will be able to decode both of these audio formats via their hdmi imputs.

I sure hope they do as I have the Pioneer DVD 600AV which will output DVD Audio & SACD Audio out the HDMI.

I believe that as long as the receiver is 1.2 HDMI and above, then it will output these formats...

#58 ·
On NAD's webpage, the 775 adn 785 says "4 v1.3 1080p HDMI Digital Audio/Video Inputs" http://nadelectronics.com/products/a...Sound-Receiver

The 765 only got "3 1080p HDMI Video Inputs switch to 1 Output, freely assignable"

The manual supports this, there is a little notice box under the HDMI connection that says and i quote:

"HDMI supports transmission of video signals only. For audio signals you may feed into any digital inputs of the T765 your HDMI source's optical or coaxial digital audio output and correspondingly assign it as your particular HDMI inputs's digital audio source"

Besides the bad English the they try to convince me that HDMI can't route sound!! Wich is an outright lie, yeah sure they were too cheap to put it into the T765. Right now I am trying to decide if I should just take the 765 back and get a 775 instead

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/11778331

I sure hope they do as I have the Pioneer DVD 600AV which will output DVD Audio & SACD Audio out the HDMI.

I believe that as long as the receiver is 1.2 HDMI and above, then it will output these formats...

Unless I misunderstand, your DVD player need to be capable of reading DVD-a and SACD. And if your DVD player can read these they can also decode the audio, and send it over HDMI, so the 775 and 785 should have no problems with it.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ney /forum/post/11778428

Unless I misunderstand, your DVD player need to be capable of reading DVD-a and SACD. And if your DVD player can read these they can also decode the audio, and send it over HDMI, so the 775 and 785 should have no problems with it.

Will confirm once my T785 arrives..

Ney, when did your shop say they will have the 775/785 in stock??

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/11778636

Will confirm once my T785 arrives..

Ney, when did your shop say they will have the 775/785 in stock??

I have not asked them that yet, but their webpage says they expect them ultimo november, wich really is a long time to wait for me, when I have just gotten used to having surround and not Stereo
Still undecided on the situation.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/11778757

Wow - with $300 receivers now able to process at least 5.1 PCM through HDMI, I can't believe NAD did not include it in the T765 (and T755).

Yes I am stunned as well, I just wrote NAD and told them of the misinformation on their news page. So lets see if they bother to correct it.

#64 ·
that's too bad. I wonder if HDMI audio will be available as a module upgrade? All of the feature modules on the T 7x5 line look to be identical. If this is the case, it would be nice if they gave you some sort of a discount since the website has some very confusing and contradictory information. Maybe when they say that HDMI is for video only, they are referring to the fact that only HDMI 1.3 supports the new lossless surround formats--to my knowledge only version 1.3 can pass the lossless bitstream. Still, any HDMI interface should support lossless PCM multichannel audio...

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ney /forum/post/11780662

Yes, and this means that the 765 wont support new codecs like the DTS-HD Master Audio am I right? Or can it still be played by PCM over coax if the player can decode it?

if the t 765 won't take any audio over HDMI, then there is no way it can get the full DTS-HD stream. If your player can decode the DTS-HD and mix it into stereo PCM, then technically you would be able to hear the audio from a DTS-HD master audio mix using a toslink or spdif interface, but you certainly wouldn't be hearing it in full bandwidth/resolution, which would basically defeat the purpose of listening to a DTS-HD track.

Still, NAD would need to confirm, but it is probably upgradeable. However, I don't understand why they would include HDMI for video switching only. It's a bad move in a competitive marketplace.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV /forum/post/11787689

Well that is what the T775 and T785 are for. They can accept audio via HDMI and can be upgraded with decoders if necessary at a later time.

Agree, If LPCM is a feature you need, then buy a T775/T785/T175 which actually support 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI. The T765 is a simple HDMI switch ... "3 1080p HDMI Video Inputs switch to 1 Output."

Not everyone requires 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI, so I can still can see a demand for this product (ie. music listeners that listen to CDs and watch the occasional movie). Also, if you don't need the feature, why would you want to pay for it...

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV /forum/post/11787689

Well that is what the T775 and T785 are for. They can accept audio via HDMI and can be upgraded with decoders if necessary at a later time.

Anyone got any better news regarding the release of these units other than late November

#74 ·
I'm coming from a Pioneer Elite 84TX, looking for a noticeable upgrade in sound quality. I know that the only way to figure this out is via comparing myself via listening. However, I only have one NAD dealer close to me and he said he probably won't even stock the 785 b/c "there just aren't a lot of people shopping for receivers in that price range." So it wil be virtually impossible for me to listen to the NAD unless I just purchase it first.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's made such a comparison or upgrade to see if they felt it was significant. We're talking almost double the MSRP from the Pioneer 94TX to the NAD T785.

I know the power supplies are reported to be far superior, but can anyone comment on if/how that translates audibly in a normal size room? My rig is about 99% home theater, using DefTech monitors and a JL Audio Fathom f113 sub, room is 15x18x8.

Spending more than double to upgrade my sub was more than worth it, it changed my whole experience. Just trying to get a feel for whether a receiver upgrade to the NAD would be a noticeable change or an incremental upgrade. Thanks!

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1010 /forum/post/11788452

Agree, If LPCM is a feature you need, then buy a T775/T785/T175 which actually support 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI. The T765 is a simple HDMI switch ... "3 1080p HDMI Video Inputs switch to 1 Output."

Not everyone requires 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI, so I can still can see a demand for this product (ie. music listeners that listen to CDs and watch the occasional movie). Also, if you don't need the feature, why would you want to pay for it...

I agree to a point, however I still think it would have been a good move to include support for audio through hdmi on the t765. audio over hdmi is probably going to become a standard method of transmission in the future, and anyone who buys the t765 is already behind the 8-ball without it.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/11789728

It's end of Oct. for the 775; end of Nov. for the 785

Thats correct Robert - I have just got an update that the T785 will begin production end of Oct/beginning NOV. You will have to allow shipping on top of this so end of November/beginning Dec for release