AVS Forum banner

Mods from HiRez??

15K views 239 replies 30 participants last post by  luogotobe 
#1 ·
First off I would like to thank you all for all of the great information over the past few months. This forum is truly a great resource and you guys are the greatest! Now to business....

I know the mods of choice on this forum seem to be MP mods. I ran cross this company named HiRez that also does mods. Can anyone tell me how they compare?

Also I have two Marquee 9500LC Ultras. One is from Christie Digital with a build out date of Nov 2000 and the other a rebadged Vidikron Vision One. The Vidikron does not have a date on it. The serial number on the Christie starts with a 33. The Vidikron has a 32. As I can't find the manufacture date on the Vidikron is it safe to assume the Christie is newer as the serial number starts with a 33?

final question: Looks like I am moving in the direction of not stacking projectors, but rather mod'ing one and selling the other. Did Vidikron do anything special to the projectors that would make me choose keeping it over the Chirstie? Other then the case? i also have had the Vidikron which was purchased new by me in about 2001. I know I only put about

See less See more
#202 ·
We would like to ship our other mods when the test is done if anyone wants to see them they can.

Gary

#203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/11803689

You guys picked the 28th? The day of the breeder's cup. I'll be at the track. AAghh. Send me the screen shots. LOL

Mark,

That was proposed by Mike if we get the details done by that we can do that. At this point it is not etched in stone for that date.

Gary

#204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirez Projection /forum/post/11803541

Mike,

As we do. I was just pointing out more is not better. Correct is better. I think we agree.

Gary

I've come as far as I'm going with these mods. Not that I have reached their fullest potential, it's just time to move on to something else. And that's why the sales have been put on hold. I'm looking for someone local to do the board work, then I'm turning it over to Tim to handle.

I think you're doing the right thing by sending a set of boards out to Athanasios. Have him sign a NDA, and let him give you feedback before the the day of the event. With mods. it's always best to have other eyes also checking things before final. I've learned to do the same thing over time.

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/11800737

yikes, all this bickering and shouting among people in a hobby that is very small and getting smaller with every new LCD that hits the market.

One of the things I would like to know about the Hi -rez mods is approx. How many components are replaced on the stock boards. I know MP has been refining his mods for 5 years now, that's a long time. I also know he replaces approx. 150 components on the VIM and 3 VNB's, that's a LOT of de-soldering and re-soldering. Gary in lieu of a description of how the Hi-rex package will affect the pic, can you tell us approximately how many parts you guys replace?

One thing I will say is that you guys have an impressive sounding facility. It's great that East coast people have that kind of support for their CRT hobby. One of the things that I think is also very important in sending boards or modules to someone to be repaired or modified is turnaround time. If someone were to pull their entire Video chain out of their machine and send them to hi-Rez for modifications, what is the typcial turnaround time?

thanks, DM

I feel the same way..

Knowing exactly what I would get for my money is precisely what I'm after- the information on HiRes's site is vague and feels like "marketing spiel" ... When I ask for information, I really want that list to be 1) volunteered without having to ask for it and 2) specific, not esoteric.

I'll look forward to the results of the shootout.

#206 ·
My last post.

I sold CRT projectors for years when they wre still in production. I remember replacing boards on occasion for customers and most of the time the board had some sort of interaction that required me to do some touch up. different parts with different voltage levels etc. When I read here swapping boards will not have any effect I just do not believe that. This thing is doomed from the get go without everyone supplying mods not being there.

Ok Ill shut up

#208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirez Projection /forum/post/11803123

Guys please do not read anything into this but the quanity of parts replaced dose not make any difference. I could replace the 10 right parts or the wrong 100 with all respect more is not better.Gary

well it's really hard not to read something into that statement Gary, but i'll try.
i'm not a board level tech. and certainly don;t know enough to re-engineer a circuit but I do know that the video chain in a marquee is exactly that, it's a chain. Replacing just a few parts will have less effect that re-designing entire sections of it for improved performance @ higher bandwidth's .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/11804113

My last post. I sold CRT projectors for years when they wre still in production.

Please don't say "back when they WERE still in production". This thread is dealing almost entirely with Marquee CRT projectors which are very much STILL in production. Maybe not cranking off the assmbly lines like they used to but you can still pick up the phone and get brand new 8110,8500, or 9500.

http://vdcds.com/crtprojectors.html

#209 ·
#210 ·
The actual video chain in a Marquee is the vim, three RGB wires, and three neck boards. That's the entire signal pathway.

The rest of the boards do other things some of which could for all I know make substantial improvements. Clearly a few parts substitutions or additions to those boards are beneficial. MP has set them forth in the Marquee maintenca threads. Hi-Rez's modifications to other boards are more substantial. One of the issues here is those mods help in a meaningful way. So the test is pathway boards and then other boards in addition to pathway boards.

I think it is foolish and doomed to non meaningful A/B not to use two different machines. What I want, and what I think I can speak for others is using two machines and having the manufacturers or a designated rep do the install and set up.. Not look at one for a bit. Rip it up and install the new stuff. Look a bit and then conclude the FLAMJET ones are better. We could do it right or fluck it up one more time. This should be done right once. I am allowed to be right every once and awhile and I am right here.

Feel free nonmanufacturers to chime in. What do you think? I am gone Thurs through Tues. I hope this doesn't break down but I am not willing to get involved unless you guys are going to do it right and not in a way that doesn't settle anything.

No I won't shut up. Alan and I, competitors, do know a little something here. I am an engineer. I know what I speak here.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/11802763

10 sets is too hard. First one to produce even one set could be declared the winner

As I have stated in the past I have always thought the biggest problem with any of the known mods is turnaround time. 1 month would be bearable but it's typically 2 or 3 AFAIK.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression they often take a LOT longer than 2 or 3 months.

#212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/11806093

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression they often take a LOT longer than 2 or 3 months.

You're right, that's nothing. I've went much longer...

I think I must be related to Moome, we both have a hard time getting things out on time, and we both have a hard time sticking to the promised date. And we also both seem to be on your radar.

But check this, we both seem to keep folk wanting what we have. I hope that's not causing you to continue to loose much sleep..

#213 ·
I knew you took longer Mikey. I was just trying to make that point without directly busting your balls. I admire your honesty!

PS: I'm sleeping like a baby! (By that I don't mean sleeping well. I mean curling up in the fetal position and sucking my thumb.
)

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/11806740

Mikey I was divorced many years ago. You think a woman could actually put up with me?

Ummmm... NO!

(didn't have to think too long or hard about that one!)

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/11806740

Mikey I was divorced many years ago. You think a woman could actually put up with me?

Man you beat me to it. I was wondering about that..

I got to tell you dude, If she stayed with you any period of time, she deserves a Combat Ribbon..

It must have been hell living in the same house with someone who's "perfect"

And not only are they perfect, they make sure everyone else knows it..

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 /forum/post/11806820

Man you beat me to it. I was wondering about that..

I got to tell you dude, If she stayed with you any period of time, she deserves a Combat Ribbon..

12 years. She probably deserves Sainthood.

Quote:
It must have been hell living in the same house with someone who's "perfect"

Oh come on, I'm think I'm pretty modest about being perfect. I wouldn't be perfect otherwise.

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/11806882

12 years. She probably deserves Sainthood.

Oh come on, I'm think I'm pretty modest about being perfect. I wouldn't be perfect otherwise.

You're a piece of work Phil..

I've been married 20 years. It took me 19 years to get along with some of my In-laws. Not sure why we had such difficulty. I only recall putting a ring on one finger... and that was enough opinions for me..

#223 ·

Quote:

that has to be Quote of the week. nice one i need to remember that!

Athanasios

#224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/11806852

How long were you married Curt. I bet I was married longer than you.

Collectively?
In any event, I think Curt's had more sex than anyone on this forum. However, I don't think anyone else was in the room at that time

#226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 /forum/post/11806937

You're a piece of work Phil..

I've been married 20 years. It took me 19 years to get along with some of my In-laws. Not sure why we had such difficulty. I only recall putting a ring on one finger... and that was enough opinions for me..

Believe it or not, my ex-wife's entire family really liked me. Even after we were divorced, I visited them for many years.

I never understood the "I have to do whatever it takes to make my in-laws like me" attitude. The in-laws have just as much responsibility to try to get along with you too. If they're not trying, the heck with 'em! I guess I was lucky to have in-laws I got along with without trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.