AVS Forum banner

CMRA's S-I-L-V-E-R solution starts here:

111K views 822 replies 80 participants last post by  Douglas_Baker 
#1 ·
#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical2 /forum/post/11869653

Well, comparing the texture side-by-side between the two, if anything I'd say that your screen has less texture than CMRA's. Clearly the white balance is off in the picture you took, but I think texture can still be effectively judged.

My bet would be that texture isn't the problem...

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the spray looks excellent. You may want to share your technique, Devon.

The culprit lays elsewhere, methinks.

#305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/11873033

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the spray looks excellent. You may want to share your technique, Devon.

The culprit lays elsewhere, methinks.

I think the culprit lies in not enough paint. The pictures may show a nice even surface with little texture, but to the naked eye you could make out patches or dots of silver particulate. I've sprayed an additional 4 coats, paying special attention to being 12 inches away, overlapping properly and slowing down a bit. I re-evaluated King Kong and was very surprised. Maybe the improvement is in my head, but as long as I perceive an improvement that's all that matters to me.

Keep in mind, this has absolutely no scientific bearing and no evidence to support it, but my theory is that since the silver metalic flakes were grouped unevenly, those groups were 'shining' (or hotspotting) ever so slightly as to overpower the rest of the screen where the silver flakes were less distributed. Now that the flakes are more evenly applied, the whole screen shines together. It appears that my misty problems are gone, along with some of the graininess. I still see some sparkly/hotspotty stuff in bright areas, such as a bright blue sky. I'm going to apply 1 or 2 additional coats and get some shots for comparison... even though my skills with a camera seem to be even worse than my paint sprayer skills... if you can imagine that

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/11279055

He does fall asleep during the movie alot. Make that everytime. You have that on good authority. Mine. Eye witness testimony.

I couldn't resist.

FWIW, MM watched the whole movie (twice) this time. Was it the screen? The projector? Or, just Charlize Theron? Hmmmm...I may never know.

#309 ·
I believe I'm finished. At this point I really have no choice since we just got the new carpet installed and if I even look at the paint sprayer now, my wife may very well make me sleep in the garage. All told, I think I put on about 18-20 light coats, but I'll admit that the first 10 were so light they probably equated to about 3 effective coats. I painted up a small strip of MDF with just primer to have something to compare, spring-clamped it to the screen and when I pulled it off the next morning I had a chunk of the MDF stuck to my screen
Had to scrape and spot sand the little ***** and try to blend it in. Turned out ok. I occaisionally notice a small spot that looks dirty at the very top of the screen. Only even comes into play if the media is 16:9 anyway.

I'm sure I could have put down another coat or two, but I'm happy with where it is now. Some things seem to get kind of misty (darker scene with, say, a lamp in the corner) but that could be a combination of the projector, calibration and screen.

It is really quite amazing when you watch a movie and actually forget to look for problems, how stunning it actually is. That's one thing I've noticed abundantly on these forums. Way too many guys getting lost in the minutia of tweaking this, analyzing that, taking tests and comparisons and reading thousands of posts and never really enjoying this expensive-ass hobby.

I think I'll go watch a movie now. Maybe I'll plug in some of my sorry-ass screenies later in the week!

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS /forum/post/11905941

It is really quite amazing when you watch a movie and actually forget to look for problems, how stunning it actually is. That's one thing I've noticed abundantly on these forums. Way too many guys getting lost in the minutia of tweaking this, analyzing that, taking tests and comparisons and reading thousands of posts and never really enjoying this expensive-ass hobby.

!

Well said by the guy who sprayed on 20 coats!

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler /forum/post/11906810

Well said by the guy who sprayed on 20 coats!

I forgot to mention the 5 primer coats too

Yes, I too got caught in the details

#314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical2 /forum/post/11909288

Devon, thanks for the update. What is wrong with your screenies?

Not sure. I just suck with a camera apparently. They just look crappy. I have a tripod and I zoom in etc, but the pics seem skewed somehow. The top of the pic looks arched, everything looks fuzzier than the actual image on screen etc. Just gotta practice and play with camera settings I guess. I posted a couple shots earlier in this thread, so you can see what I mean.

#315 ·
#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS /forum/post/11909608

Not sure. I just suck with a camera apparently. They just look crappy. I have a tripod and I zoom in etc, but the pics seem skewed somehow. The top of the pic looks arched, everything looks fuzzier than the actual image on screen etc. Just gotta practice and play with camera settings I guess. I posted a couple shots earlier in this thread, so you can see what I mean.

I thought it could be that easy too. When ALL my digicams made the images too contrasty, crushing blacks, and blowing out highlights I did a little homework.

The best routine so far is to shoot in the RAW mode (better digicams support this feature) and rework the image in software (often photoshop) before posting.

I only have ONE camera that supports RAW. I may give it a GO after I learn more.

#318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo M /forum/post/12213232

CMRA,

Could you summarize one more time what the difference in the ingredients is between S-I-L-V-E-R vs SilverHG.

Thanks

Only the silver changes. Behr SM, widely available at HD, is the original. The Delta silver is a specialty product found at art supply stores. Either works fine.

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo M /forum/post/12233235

Is the application the same? For some reason I thought I read where one was easier to apply than the other.

Thanks

shouldnt' be a difference. They're both a beeotch to apply if you're inexperienced with a sprayer. But once you finally get it right, the results are amazing.

#322 ·
CMRA how would you say the screen compares to commercial offerings? I'm ready to get my hands a little dirty.

I currently own both a gray wolf II and a high power, but I cannot justify another 600 bucks to 2.35 at 120 inches wide.

I am a little excited that you report gain in your screen.

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway /forum/post/12242348

CMRA how would you say the screen compares to commercial offerings? I'm ready to get my hands a little dirty.

I currently own both a gray wolf II and a high power, but I cannot justify another 600 bucks to 2.35 at 120 inches wide.

I am a little excited that you report gain in your screen.

I prefer mine.

I concur.

I estimate 1.5, never measured however.

#324 ·
I love what you did with the screen.

I have a Benq W10000 proj with a current 110" 16x9 Screen Goo CRT White screen - the colors are great- but it lacks pop.

Plus I wanted to go to 10' wide 2.35 screen.

Would you recommend the Silver?

Also is it as simple as mixing:

1/2 gallon Behr Faux Glaze

+

4 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic from Michael's Arts & Crafts

(Substituted for the darker Behr Silver Metallic)

+

20 oz. Filtered Water

and applying?

Can I use a roller instead of a sprayer (trying to keep cost down)?

Do I need to primer as I currently have Screen Goo white on the screen?

thanks,

Jon

#325 ·
No rolling.... spray only.

Your formula is correct, but should be distilled water.

can't comment on the Goo vs Primer.

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 /forum/post/12329116

I love what you did with the screen.

and applying?

Can I use a roller instead of a sprayer (trying to keep cost down)?

Do I need to primer as I currently have Screen Goo white on the screen?

thanks,

Jon

Yep, spraying is NOT an option. You'll have to bite the bullet there.

Recommended. Kilz2 infact. This isn't to say something other may not work, just the primer is proven. You may opt for a Do-able board as MM did and still get excellent results.

Good spraying. CMRA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.