AVS Forum banner
2M views 9K replies 996 participants last post by  Dirtgarry 
#1 ·
Here are a few pics of my PRO-110FD "thanks to John from Axxis Audio, AVS Sponsor at bottom of page"", will be hanging on the wall in a few days using a Sanus flat wall mount, at the moment the PDP is on my cabinet where the center channel speaker will be placed, PDP will be 3" above center channel speaker when hung on wall at center of black box painted behind the PDP, all I can say in regards to this PDP is WOW, PURE mode is worth it to get an Elite, the colors and skin tones are spot on, and no ISF calibration yet, few more months till that happens for me, will let the set break in for a while, these pics are from Planet Earth Blu Ray on my PS3, enjoy,

See less See more
#152 ·

Quote:
cybertic, who is cybertic, yes it's those cyberTICS that fall of the Whitetail Deer after I shoot it with my Hoyt Cybertec compound bow, it's all good Dale, just having some fun

I know. I know. But again thanks.

#153 ·
hey folks, congrats on the new 110fd. just a 2 quick questions.

1: why did you decide on the 110fd over the 150fd?

2: what are you using to upscale your sd dvd library, and how happy are you with the results? anyone using the sammy 1200, tosh xa2, or even the new pio 95fd?

Im looking forward to becoming a new member of the FD "club", but am still on the fence regarding the 50 and 60; with the price difference being $1000. i just need to decide how sd will look, since the seating will be either 10' with the chairs at the wall or 8' with the chairs pulled up to make room for psb 4't rear surrounds.

thanks for the help

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantmyBIGtv /forum/post/11916022

2: what are you using to upscale your sd dvd library, and how happy are you with the results? anyone using the sammy 1200, tosh xa2, or even the new pio 95fd?

Im looking forward to becoming a new member of the FD "club", but am still on the fence regarding the 50 and 60; with the price difference being $1000. i just need to decide how sd will look, since the seating will be either 10' with the chairs at the wall or 8' with the chairs pulled up to make room for psb 4't rear surrounds.

thanks for the help

I guess size and $, same PDP, for me it was mostly size, as a 60" would have dwarfed my room, 50" is just right "previously had 42" at same location", and I am a very happy camper
, plus with the money I saved by not getting the 60" I also got a PS3 80 gig with Blu-Ray Player with remote for the Blu-Ray player and extra game controller, a bunch of Bu-Ray movies, wall mount, and a few $ left over for beer
, and in regards to what I am using to upscale my SD DVD movie library, I am using the PS3 Blu-Ray player, and it works excellent, check out the LOTR pics I posted on the fourth page of this post, towards the bottom.

#155 ·
thanks cyb,

my room is like yours and not too large, with the walls being just shy of 12" from front to rear. we previously had a 55" rptv and sat at about 7.25' away, yeah im a movie nut, i admit it. on occasion we would move the couch up another foot, but the sd material just degraded to the point where the larger field of view was not worth it.

we've since moved and figured we could go larger considering the 2' we save from just the size of the set itself. ironically, its the gf that is lobbying for the 60, especially considering the price (about the 5010's retail).

iv thought about putting the extra 1k into a bd player and the like, but figured i could hold off on that and enjoy a 40% larger screen with the hundreds of sd dvd that we already have; thats if it can do an admirable job of scaling them.

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantmyBIGtv /forum/post/11916022

thanks for the help

My reasoning was similar to cybertec's. For me, it was dollars and size. I just didn't have the money or space for the 60". There was a part of me that regretted not getting the 150 when I placed the order for the 110. But as soon as I got the 110 set up in my space, I knew it was absolutely the right way to go. I know a lot of people say you can't get one of these TVs in a size that's too big. Bigger is better and all that. Well, for me, I can honestly say 50" is just right for my room. It's almost overwhelming - I'm coming from a 32" Sony XBR CRT, so it's quite a difference.

I'm using a Toshiba A-30 HD-DVD player for upconverting SD DVDs and I haven't watched anything but a couple episodes of Battlestar Galactica and 28 Weeks Later on SD DVD. They looked fine to me. I'm due to get the Transformers HD-DVD from Netflix tomorrow -- can't wait!

_________

I took a few more pics tonight of the Heroes HD-DVD with D-Nice's settings. I'm using Color Space 2 now and all of D-Nice's settings straight up. Hope these colors look better to you guys.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco /forum/post/11916359

My reasoning was similar to cybertec's. For me, it was dollars and size. I just didn't have the money or space for the 60". There was a part of me that regretted not getting the 150 when I placed the order for the 110. But as soon as I got the 110 set up in my space, I knew it was absolutely the right way to go. I know a lot of people say you can't get one of these TVs in a size that's too big. Bigger is better and all that. Well, for me, I can honestly say 50" is just right for my room. It's almost overwhelming - I'm coming from a 32" Sony XBR CRT, so it's quite a difference.

I'm using a Toshiba A-30 HD-DVD player for upconverting SD DVDs and I haven't watched anything but a couple episodes of Battlestar Galactica and 28 Weeks Later on SD DVD. They looked fine to me. I'm due to get the Transformers HD-DVD from Netflix tomorrow -- can't wait!

_________

I took a few more pics tonight of the Heroes HD-DVD with D-Nice's settings. I'm using Color Space 2 now and all of D-Nice's settings straight up. Hope these colors look better to you guys.

now we are talking, great pics, keep them coming, skin tones are just right.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/11916453

now we are talking, great pics, keep them coming, skin tones are just right.

Thanks! It's definitely more accurate-looking. I think I am just used to seeing the over-saturated look everywhere, including on my own TV for the last few years. Somehow it looked good to me then, even though I could look at people in real life and see that they don't look like that!

Thanks again to D-Nice!

#160 ·
gridbug,

just some info about the pannys - most dont realize that there are a lot of improvements on the new pios that you just cant "see". for example, the panny 58pz750 draws 745w! while the 60" elite "only" draws 536w. more absurd is the fact that the 42px75 draws far more than the elite 1150 (387 ~ 376)

*all figures taken directly from panasonic and pioneer literature respectively.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 /forum/post/11917056

those are D-Nice's toshiba HD DVD settings? Pics look great! color very accurate. I need to buy a A35!

Thanks! Actually, they are D-Nice's cable box settings. I haven't tried the HD-DVD settings yet. I'd like to find something that works well with both since you can't save two different groups of Pure mode settings. I think the cable box settings do the trick, but I'll probably give the HD-DVD settings a try later on just to compare.

My player is the A30, but I assume the video quality of playback of 1080p discs is the same as the A35 or close to it. ?

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco /forum/post/11916555

Thanks! It's definitely more accurate-looking. I think I am just used to seeing the over-saturated look everywhere, including on my own TV for the last few years. Somehow it looked good to me then, even though I could look at people in real life and see that they don't look like that!

Thanks again to D-Nice!

Loco, much better!

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco /forum/post/11918710

Thanks! Actually, they are D-Nice's cable box settings. I haven't tried the HD-DVD settings yet. I'd like to find something that works well with both since you can't save two different groups of Pure mode settings. I think the cable box settings do the trick, but I'll probably give the HD-DVD settings a try later on just to compare.

My player is the A30, but I assume the video quality of playback of 1080p discs is the same as the A35 or close to it. ?

should be the same and you running in 1080p24?

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 /forum/post/11926266

should be the same and you running in 1080p24?

No, Heroes was playing in 1080p. In fact, after I ran the firmware update tonight, the Heroes HD-DVD wouldn't even play when I had the player in 1080p/24! It gave me a message telling me my settings were for 1080p/24 and locked up. I had to pull the power and plug it back in to get the player to do anything. It used to play, but you could see judder or whatever you call it in certain scenes.

After the A30 came back on, I changed the settings back to 1080p and everything was fine. I haven't really messed with it any more since.

#167 ·

Not an Elite, but I sure do love my 6010.

More of a room setup pic than a PQ pic. Back before break-in and D-Nice's settings.

I don't have Cybertec's photography skills.
I'll try to resize it so it won't be so large.

#168 ·
i like that hutch that's underneath there... nice and "rustic" looking...

you gotta get those speakers lower though...

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/11928291

I have a request for cybertec.....

PLEASE get Transformers on HD DVD and post some pictures. Transformers, IMO, has the best PQ of ANY HDM disc....period!

Well content has alot to do with it... and I ain't talking about the big robots!

The boxart needs work though!!!

Oh and just to say... on the Kuro, this is what it was made for!
So great... the bars for most the movie actually looks as dark as the bezel and the contrast is unbelievable. Skin tones are right on... WOOHOO!!

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco /forum/post/11928013

No, Heroes was playing in 1080p. In fact, after I ran the firmware update tonight, the Heroes HD-DVD wouldn't even play when I had the player in 1080p/24! It gave me a message telling me my settings were for 1080p/24 and locked up. I had to pull the power and plug it back in to get the player to do anything. It used to play, but you could see judder or whatever you call it in certain scenes.

After the A30 came back on, I changed the settings back to 1080p and everything was fine. I haven't really messed with it any more since.

you can't even play heroes in 1080p/24 after the firmware update? Check out D-Nice's toshiba HD DVD settings, setting the film mode to advance should eliminate all judder.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/11928291

I have a request for cybertec.....

PLEASE get Transformers on HD DVD and post some pictures. Transformers, IMO, has the best PQ of ANY HDM disc....period!

D-Nice, when watching a movie with a tohisba HD DVD set to 1080p/24 output, the only way to get 72hz processing is with advance?