AVS Forum banner
563K views 4K replies 624 participants last post by  Nobre40 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread for all owners of the Denon AVR-2808CI A/V receiver to post your impressions, useful information and a issues/resolutions for this unit. Mine will be arriving this week, and I'm sure there are others who will be receiving theirs soon or already have them up and running!

Here are some basic specs for anyone interested in purchasing one:

AVR-2808CI 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver with Network Client Compatible D-dock Port
Quote:
The AVR-2808CI has been fortified with the latest A/V upgrades positioning itself to become one of the most popular audio video receivers in the industry, continuing on in its predecessor's footsteps. The AVR-2808CI now has HDMI v1.3a which brings with it the new surround formats for HD decoding allowing for ultimate surround performance for the best in home theater experience. Updated Audyssey audio processing has been added to provide improved auto calibration results for smooth sound reproduction. The well acclaimed Faroudja FLi2310 has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p resolution. Serial IR ports along with the RS-232C system control port provides ease of integration for complex home audio installations with 3rd party controllers. Couple this with the new EL remote and you have an A/V receiver sure to be a best seller.

* 110 watts x 7 channels

* Analog Video to HDMI Scaling - 1080p

* Rear Panel RS-232C

* XM ready tuning

* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio

* New DDSC-HD processing

* Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports with Deep Color and xvYCC Support

* Digital to Analog conversion for multi-zone connection flexibility

* Assignable +12V D.C. triggers

* Comes with dual remotes

* 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI remote

So, what do you think? How does this unit perform?

See less See more
#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye /forum/post/11995940

But is it not true that Denon will not honor the warranty if you do not buy from one of their "official online" retailers that all have inflated prices like Cruchfield? Or have you found a way around that?

Sockeye

6th Ave is one of Denon's authorized retailers and their unit comes with the exact same warranty as crutchfield. If you were thinking about the deal, you are late now. Better luck next time

#230 ·
I just purchased the Denon 2808Ci and the sound is impressive! My question is related to volume output from various sources. The ATSC TV volume is very low (5.1 Dolby Digital) but the same format output from my DVD player has much louder volume. Is it possible to set the Denon to adjust its volume accordingly?

Thanks

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandhu /forum/post/11996910

The ATSC TV volume is very low (5.1 Dolby Digital) but the same format output from my DVD player has much louder volume. Is it possible to set the Denon to adjust its volume accordingly?

Thanks

You can adjust input source volume. It is an option on the other menu option for an input source. It is described on page 36 of the manual.

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen /forum/post/11990221

I noticed that with ip scaler set to off all the other options are no longer offered. They are only shown if ip scaler is set to "A to H".

Do you know what "A to H" means? The manual has some cryptic comments about options being available only if "i/p scalar is set to anything other than OFF". Well, there is only *one* thing other than "OFF" and that is "A to H". The manual is quite unclear on all these options.

Well I have egg on my face. You are certainly correct. Since I have a 987 I was using the 2808's manual to help you. I hope that slip up did not eschew your planned configuration.

49Merc

#234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/11998204

does the 2808 post process 5.1 PCM to 7.1 using PLIIx? And if so, what modes will work with PCM 5.1 to 7.1?

If you go to Denon USA website and then to the 2808ci section, you can link to the PDF of the manual. On page 66 there is a chart that lays out the various input signals and possible outputs.

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/11989955

HDMI VIDEO SETUP

ip Scaler: Off

Resolution: Auto

Progressive Mode: Auto

Aspect: Full

Color Space: YCbCr

49 Merc, could you spoon feed me a little tutorial on what the above setting options do versus the other possible choices in the menu? I'm a bit confused about the ip Scaler and Color space settings.

Thanks

To ensure I give you a thorough answer I'm doing a bit of extra research. Unforunately, I will be out of pocket for the next few days so it may be next week before I can get back to you on this question.

49Merc

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/11999307

If you go to Denon USA website and then to the 2808ci section, you can link to the PDF of the manual. On page 66 there is a chart that lays out the various input signals and possible outputs.

Yes I downloaded the manual and read through the chart, which does indicate it can be done. I wanted to verify it with someone who HAS tried it. Those charts are not always accurate/easy to read.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc /forum/post/11999352

To ensure I give you a thorough answer I'm doing a bit of extra research. Unforunately, I will be out of pocket for the next few days so it may be next week before I can get back to you on this question.

49Merc

Thanks, good things come to those who wait!

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/11999618

Yes I downloaded the manual and read through the chart, which does indicate it can be done. I wanted to verify it with someone who HAS tried it. Those charts are not always accurate/easy to read.

I don't think I can test that as I have my back speakers assigned for Zone 2.

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/12026749

^Bump^ Anyone?

Sorry I can't do it with my 5.1 and zone 2 setup, but based on the post proccessing mine does(as advertized) I'm convinced it'll do what the manual states( ie. yes). I'm surprised no one has answered. Maybe a minority use 7.1?

#246 ·
I just recently bought an avr 2808ci and am using only one of its HDMI inputs (DVD). The input source signal is from a BD PS3, passed thru a video-processor that de-interlaces and scales the signal. The receiver is just a pass-thru device to a Sony Pearl projector.

The picture goes blank after a few minutes. If route the signal directly to the projector without the receiver in the middle, everything runs fine.

Anyone have such a problem with the new denon avr 2808ci? I'd appreciate some advice/suggestions.

Thanks.

#248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wostertag /forum/post/12033533

Yes it does. I just sent 5.1 PCM from my PS3 to the 2808 (over HDMI), and yes it will use PLIIx to output 7.1. The PLIIx modes were Cinema, Game, and Music.

Excellent! Thank you! I have a PS3 as well, so even better as a test!

This is my top pick so far in my search. Even over the 3808, which seem to be having alot of issues for some reason.

Is anyone having issues with their 2808?

#249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPlasmaYet /forum/post/11999982

Question.

Does the 2808 receive HD radio stations?

Thanks

If you have an XM radio subscription, and get the XM addon for this receiver, yes it should. After looking through the manual, I noticed it has Neural Surround....and it also mentioned that "it's the chosen audio format of XM's HD Surround programming..."

So yep, HD Surround radio...apparently 3 channels are fully dedicated to using such HD radio content, not sure if that has changed or not...

#250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/12033725

Excellent! Thank you! I have a PS3 as well, so even better as a test!

This is my top pick so far in my search. Even over the 3808, which seem to be having alot of issues for some reason.

Is anyone having issues with their 2808?

Had a new unit fail durring initial auto setup and am currently awaiting a replacement from 6th Ave; going on 2 weeks now.

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyus /forum/post/12034051

If you have an XM radio subscription, and get the XM addon for this receiver, yes it should. After looking through the manual, I noticed it has Neural Surround....and it also mentioned that "it's the chosen audio format of XM's HD Surround programming..."

So yep, HD Surround radio...apparently 3 channels are fully dedicated to using such HD radio content, not sure if that has changed or not...

Don't think that is what he meant. This unit does not have a built in HD radio tuner AFAIK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.