AVS Forum banner
563K views 4K replies 624 participants last post by  Nobre40 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread for all owners of the Denon AVR-2808CI A/V receiver to post your impressions, useful information and a issues/resolutions for this unit. Mine will be arriving this week, and I'm sure there are others who will be receiving theirs soon or already have them up and running!

Here are some basic specs for anyone interested in purchasing one:

AVR-2808CI 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH Home Theater/MultiMedia A/V Receiver with Network Client Compatible D-dock Port
Quote:
The AVR-2808CI has been fortified with the latest A/V upgrades positioning itself to become one of the most popular audio video receivers in the industry, continuing on in its predecessor's footsteps. The AVR-2808CI now has HDMI v1.3a which brings with it the new surround formats for HD decoding allowing for ultimate surround performance for the best in home theater experience. Updated Audyssey audio processing has been added to provide improved auto calibration results for smooth sound reproduction. The well acclaimed Faroudja FLi2310 has been employed to allow for video scaling to 1080p resolution. Serial IR ports along with the RS-232C system control port provides ease of integration for complex home audio installations with 3rd party controllers. Couple this with the new EL remote and you have an A/V receiver sure to be a best seller.

* 110 watts x 7 channels

* Analog Video to HDMI Scaling - 1080p

* Rear Panel RS-232C

* XM ready tuning

* Dolby TrueHD and dts-HD Master Audio

* New DDSC-HD processing

* Expanded HDMI v1.3a ports with Deep Color and xvYCC Support

* Digital to Analog conversion for multi-zone connection flexibility

* Assignable +12V D.C. triggers

* Comes with dual remotes

* 2-way remote capability with optional RC-7000CI remote

So, what do you think? How does this unit perform?

See less See more
#254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/12033725

Excellent! Thank you! I have a PS3 as well, so even better as a test!

This is my top pick so far in my search. Even over the 3808, which seem to be having alot of issues for some reason.

Is anyone having issues with their 2808?

The only thing I haven't figured out (and it may not be an inherent bug) is a video drop/sync issue? of 3-5 seconds when using HDMI(not via components) when commercial changes/and/or(I assume) resolution changes occur during TV broadcasts. I have a DirectvHD20DVR and thought that if I had fixed that problem by setting the box to 1080i output only, but that hasn't fixed it. I tried all the menu settings i/p scaler on vs off. Tried i/p scaler on resolution set to 1080i with no luck. I don't know if its a temporary handshake issue as my plasma read "no signal" during these dropouts. It seems if I passed everything as one resolution, it would work? I'd love not to default to Component as HDMI was one of the main reasons for me to get this Reciever.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/12057755

The only thing I haven't figured out (and it may not be an inherent bug) is a video drop/sync issue? of 3-5 seconds when using HDMI(not via components) when commercial changes/and/or(I assume) resolution changes occur during TV broadcasts. I have a DirectvHD20DVR and thought that if I had fixed that problem by setting the box to 1080i output only, but that hasn't fixed it. I tried all the menu settings i/p scaler on vs off. Tried i/p scaler on resolution set to 1080i with no luck. I don't know if its a temporary handshake issue as my plasma read "no signal" during these dropouts. It seems if I passed everything as one resolution, it would work? I'd love not to default to Component as HDMI was one of the main reasons for me to get this Reciever.

Do you have other HDMI sources that work fine? Such as a HD DVD or BD player? Movies have previews that may change from 1080i to 1080p and also switch sound formats. If you have one of those and it doesn't lose the signal than I suspect a handshake issue with the HR20. DO you have this issue going direct HDMI to the TV? I plan on using component with my HR20 b/c I have had issues with Directv's HDMI connections.

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/12058056

Do you have other HDMI sources that work fine? Such as a HD DVD or BD player? Movies have previews that may change from 1080i to 1080p and also switch sound formats. If you have one of those and it doesn't lose the signal than I suspect a handshake issue with the HR20. DO you have this issue going direct HDMI to the TV? I plan on using component with my HR20 b/c I have had issues with Directv's HDMI connections.

I don't have any other HDMI sources to test(been waiting for this BluRay HD-DVD fiasco to settle out or just go with an new OPPO).. I haven't tried a direct connection to the TV--good idea, but I couldn't leave it like that and have the 2808 as the switcher.

I am assuming if I have the STB(HR20) set to either 1080i or 720p output resolution, that would be a set resolution. How does the Denon need to be set to just pass this through?

Another thought, I have the HR20 menu set to 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i. I did this because I wanted my analog out to be active for recording to DVD and maybe this is what causing the changes/video sync dropouts during broadcast.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/12058491

I don't have any other HDMI sources to test(been waiting for this BluRay HD-DVD fiasco to settle out or just go with an new OPPO).. I haven't tried a direct connection to the TV--good idea, but I couldn't leave it like that and have the 2808 as the switcher.

I am assuming if I have the STB(HR20) set to either 1080i or 720p output resolution, that would be a set resolution. How does the Denon need to be set to just pass this through?

Another thought, I have the HR20 menu set to 480i,480p, 720p, 1080i. I did this because I wanted my analog out to be active for recording to DVD and maybe this is what causing the changes/video sync dropouts during broadcast.

I don't own the unit yet (though I did read the manual), but I think disabling the i/p scaler will just pass everything through as is. That said, I am not sure if it still needs to handshake with the Denon anyway. Those handshakes can be problematic between all kinds of devices.

If it works direct to the Tv, then the Denon must be having issues handshaking with it.

Just my guess.

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive /forum/post/12058686

I don't own the unit yet (though I did read the manual), but I think disabling the i/p scaler will just pass everything through as is. That said, I am not sure if it still needs to handshake with the Denon anyway. Those handshakes can be problematic between all kinds of devices.

If it works direct to the Tv, then the Denon must be having issues handshaking with it.

Just my guess.

I'll try a few things tonight and let you know.

#260 ·
In "Menu -> Input Setup -> Other" there is a setting called "Video Convert" with two choices: ON and OFF. The manual is not too helpful on the effect of this. It says "convert video input to monitor output format". I tried both ON and OFF but it didn't seem to make any difference.

All connections are with HDMI using the 2808CI in between the Blu-ray and the TV.

My TV and Blu-ray player are both Samsung and work just fine without the 2808CI in the middle so I am not sure what conversion could be required.

Can someone elaborate on this setting a little?

rcp

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafale /forum/post/12065422

Wow.. Wabkab, You are still at it? I never have more than 1 or 2 sec of off time and I do get a lot of resolution changes...

Maybe it's my PDP(Vizio 50") that takes a little longer to sync? I haven't found a setting that gets the drops less than 5 to 6 seconds.

#262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen /forum/post/12073975

In "Menu -> Input Setup -> Other" there is a setting called "Video Convert" with two choices: ON and OFF. The manual is not too helpful on the effect of this. It says "convert video input to monitor output format". I tried both ON and OFF but it didn't seem to make any difference.

All connections are with HDMI using the 2808CI in between the Blu-ray and the TV.

My TV and Blu-ray player are both Samsung and work just fine without the 2808CI in the middle so I am not sure what conversion could be required.

Can someone elaborate on this setting a little?

rcp

I assumed that is the converter for composite and S video to Component and HDMI.

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/12074582

I assumed that is the converter for composite and S video to Component and HDMI.

I checked it on and off. It definitely is that. For instance, with it off, my DVD player would not display on my PDP fed with HDMI out of the Denon. My DVD is hooked up with component out on progressive scan(480p). Switch converter back to on and it's back on.

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/12076415

I checked it on and off. It definitely is that. For instance, with it off, my DVD player would not display on my PDP fed with HDMI out of the Denon. My DVD is hooked up with component out on progressive scan(480p). Switch converter back to on and it's back on.

Thanks for the investigation. So in my case (all HDMI) the Video Convert setting is not involved one way or the other. That's what I observed but wasn't sure if I might have been missing something.

rcp

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen /forum/post/12078797

Thanks for the investigation. So in my case (all HDMI) the Video Convert setting is not involved one way or the other. That's what I observed but wasn't sure if I might have been missing something.

rcp

Yep. In the manual, I think in very last section before the "brand" codes, there are 2 tables with the far left column being Video convert on and Video convert off, respectively. If you mull over that a while, it all makes sense.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab /forum/post/12057755

I'm having the same issue. Right now, only running composite into 2808 and HDMI out to the TV. Thought it might be an analogue to digital conversion lag. Are you running HDMI into the receiver?

#269 ·
Recently purchased the 2808 and am kinda second guessing myself. I had an 1803 previously and pretty much just went and got the 2808 without doing a lot of listening to other receivers. Don't know if I'm confusing clean/clear sound with bright but it is as though the sound seems a little bright to me. Anyone do a lot of sound comparisons with the 2808 against Yamaha V1800, Onkyo 805 or Pioneer 91THX? If so, I would like to hear your impressions. Don't want to open up a debate on which one is best or anything, just looking for some past experience. Thanks.

#270 ·
 http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/dsd1608

as far as the sound of Denon. I find it neutral and perfect for my taste, and I usually prefer warmer sound (but accuracy is important to me). I have fairly neutral/warm speakers though (Rockets with upgraded capacitors). I compared the Denon to Onkyo 805 and Panasonic XR-55. I kept the Denon, returned the Onkyo and use the Panny in the bedroom. The Panasonic sounded VERY bright compared to the Denon.

I think your speakers have more to do with the brightness you are experiencing.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0115 /forum/post/12094115

I'm having the same issue. Right now, only running composite into 2808 and HDMI out to the TV. Thought it might be an analogue to digital conversion lag. Are you running HDMI into the receiver?

Yes I am(HDMI), but I also have analog ins from the same STB so as to have video record in/out and zone 2 capabilities(HDMI can't downconvert to 480i).

These extra inputs may be making the Denon hiccup while it processes the signal? I never tried it without the alalog ins. The one advantage with analog ins simultaneously is that when you switch to menu funtion, it displays the menu over active picture(although downrezzed to analog and I guess re digitized to pass thru HDMI. With HDMI in and out only, it displays the menu over a black screen.

Ps. Despite my harping on the BluRay DVD fiasco, I succumbed to the walmart secret sale this morning and bought a Toshiba HDA2 for a price that once I get the 5 rebate movies will be free for all practical purposes. With this as my second HDMI input to the Denon, I'll be able to compare and see if any sync issues happen. I'm thinking its the analog to digital changes.

#272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0115 /forum/post/12094793

Recently purchased the 2808 and am kinda second guessing myself. I had an 1803 previously and pretty much just went and got the 2808 without doing a lot of listening to other receivers. Don't know if I'm confusing clean/clear sound with bright but it is as though the sound seems a little bright to me. Anyone do a lot of sound comparisons with the 2808 against Yamaha V1800, Onkyo 805 or Pioneer 91THX? If so, I would like to hear your impressions. Don't want to open up a debate on which one is best or anything, just looking for some past experience. Thanks.

Are you using it as 5.1 or 7.1, and have you done the Audessy setup from at least 6 positions? I went from 3 to 6 and it made a big difference."warmer"

From old debates, it seems the concensus is that Denon has a more neutral sound(which can easily be manipulated any way you want via all kinds of menu options) and Yamaha and Pioneer have a "warmer" sound. Bottom line-I wouldn't sweat it, but that's what we do!

#273 ·
Hey guys I'm looking at buying one of these today, but I've got a couple questions before I do. My system is as follows -

Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY 50" Plasma (720p/1080i only through Component - HDMI board only support 576p
)

Panasonic S-97S DVD (720p/1080i upconversion via HDMI only)

TiVo HD (set to fixed 1080i)

Now my questions -

1. Would I have any issues connecting the TiVo HD and Panny DVD to the 2808 with HDMI and then outputting from the 2808 to the TV with Component?

2. Should I just ditch the HDMI altogether and use component & optical connections for everything? (This would limit my current DVD to 480i/480p)

3. A little off-topic - In the event that I upgrade my DVD to an HD or Blu-Ray, would I get the same features and quality using component/optical as I would using HDMI (TrueHD, etc)?

Sorry I'm still a newb when it comes to some of the areas. Thanks!

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenima99x /forum/post/12097809

1. Would I have any issues connecting the TiVo HD and Panny DVD to the 2808 with HDMI and then outputting from the 2808 to the TV with Component?

2. Should I just ditch the HDMI altogether and use component & optical connections for everything? (This would limit my current DVD to 480i/480p)

3. A little off-topic - In the event that I upgrade my DVD to an HD or Blu-Ray, would I get the same features and quality using component/optical as I would using HDMI (TrueHD, etc)?

1. For HDMI in there is only HDMI out.

2. You can mix and match. For your DVD I think you can have HDMI directly from DVD to TV (to get your 720p/1080i upconversion) and also have Optical-digital audio go to the 2808CI (to get best audio). Depends on flexibility of your DVD player. Then stick with all HDMI for the TiVo.

3. There are things that work via HDMI that you won't get via component. I won't try to list them all because I am fuzzy on it myself. Some of this is the ability of components to cooperate with each other (like recognizing each others' capabilities and making sure formats/decoders, etc. match up). There are some higher-end video capabilities (Deep Color, xvYCC color) and perhaps also audio capabilities that may not come through component or optical cables (not sure of this).

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsen /forum/post/12098397

1. For HDMI in there is only HDMI out.

I thought that might be the case.

2. You can mix and match. For your DVD I think you can have HDMI directly from DVD to TV (to get your 720p/1080i upconversion) and also have Optical-digital audio go to the 2808CI (to get best audio). Depends on flexibility of your DVD player. Then stick with all HDMI for the TiVo.

Can't do this becuase my TV only has one HDMI input. I'm currently using a Monoprice HDMI switcher. Also wouldn't I be losing quality using the HDMI since the HDMI board in my tv only supports 576p?

3. There are things that work via HDMI that you won't get via component. I won't try to list them all because I am fuzzy on it myself. Some of this is the ability of components to cooperate with each other (like recognizing each others' capabilities and making sure formats/decoders, etc. match up). There are some higher-end video capabilities (Deep Color, xvYCC color) and perhaps also audio capabilities that may not come through component or optical cables (not sure of this).

Cool thanks.
I've always wondered why my pic quality seemed to look worse after switching from component to HDMI....

#276 ·
I have a pioneer plasma 6070 and have just purchased the Oppo 981hd (Its on its way) I have a Starchoice HD sat. rec. Is there any advantage for me to have the 2808 as compared to the 2308? The Oppo has to go HDMI thru the Denon, as it only has HDMI output. I am a oldie, but a newb to this newfangled contraptions!!

#278 ·
Went to audition one of these today at my local Magnolia. They just happened to be rewiring the entire rack.

I currently have a Yamaha 661 (90Wx7). Would anyone be able to tell me how much difference in sound quality to expect between the two? Also how well does this unit handle LFE?

My system is Def Tech. BP7004 mains, CLR 2300, pro monitor 1000s. Mirage S10 sub.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.