AVS Forum banner

The *OFFICIAL* Vienna Acoustics Owners Thread

602K views 3K replies 440 participants last post by  OloTam24 
#1 ·
Based on a suggestion in another thread, I've decided to create this thread where owners (and potential owners) of Vienna Acoustics speakers can discuss them.

I have a pair of Mozart Grands in the maple veneer myself. I am powering them with a Parasound Halo P3 preamp and A23 amp. My main music source is a Marantz SA8001 SACD player. This combo is, so far, producing some very beautiful music!

I've heard some people complain about VA's laid back sound, but, to me, they sound perfect. Quite a few other brands I auditioned (B&W, Klipsch, Magnepan, for example) seemed way to bright too me and became fatiguing to listen to. My Mozart Grands, though, are always pleasing to the ear, and I can listen to them for hours at a time without any fatigue.

So, please join in and post your thoughts on these beautiful works of audio art!

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence /forum/post/12179416

the rick: have you heard of any pending replacement for the strauss/mahler/oratorio? I recall seeing in Stereophile's show coverage of CES or CEATEC recently that Vienna was demo'ing a new "reference" model speaker, which I would assume would either replace the Mahler/Strauss or perhaps be the start of an entirely new line. I have yet to have heard the Strauss/Mahler myself, but after being thoroughly impressed with the sound out of a pair of Beethoven Concert Grands, I have a strong feeling that the Strauss (too many reviews have critiqued the Mahlers for "bloated" bass) may be my new fronts in my media room.

The sound of the reference line is definitely a step above the Grand line. The Mahler and Strauss both use side-mounted 10" woofers so room placement and setup is very critical. I'm sure that contributed greatly to the "bloated bass" reviewers experienced. I had a pair of Mahlers in a large room with them several feet from all walls and had no issues with bloated bass. They absolutely crushed my Beethovens in every regard. But they do require a large room with plenty of breathing room to excel.

#53 ·
I have Rosewood Mahler speakers for the fronts, Waltzs for the surrounds and a Maestro for my center. I have been looking to upgrade my center to a Oratorio, but am having a tough time finding them out on the used market (or even new for that matter!)

Any ideas of a used Oratorio out there?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr /forum/post/12194559

I have Rosewood Mahler speakers for the fronts, Waltzs for the surrounds and a Maestro for my center. I have been looking to upgrade my center to a Oratorio, but am having a tough time finding them out on the used market (or even new for that matter!)

Any ideas of a used Oratorio out there?

Call Sumiko and they can tell you where the nearest dealer is. They can then order one for you or may even have a demo model. I rarely see them on the used market as well.

#56 ·
I'm debating between B&W 704's and Bach's at roughly the same price point. I have B&K Ref 4420 (225wpc dual mono) so I should be good on power. Any thoughts? Usage will be main LR mixed HT/Music. Music tastes are varied from Rock to Jazz to Blues with occasional forays into other types. Whichever I get I'll add the complementary center and surrounds down the road. The room itself is fairly hard with H/W floors, a stone wall on 1 side, and few "soft" things.

One question, how sensitive to placement and room are they? I've got good space L/R, but they'll be fairly close to a drywall wall (

#58 ·
Steve- I think vienna makes a good amount of detail but it is not the most detailed sound around. However, I do find they don't tend to fatigue my ears the way a typical metal tweeter speaker tends to. I find them to be a good balance

With viennas, I find that they should either be very close to the rear wall (close coupled setup, less then 5") or more then 18" in a typical room. However, every room is different and the only way one will know for sure is to play around with the various options

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike175gr /forum/post/12304583

Well I finally found a nice used one. Is $1600 a reasonable deal for an Oratorio in rosewood? (It doesn't feel like a great deal at all, but sort of "ok")

considering that is less than half of its retail price I would say that is more than "sort of ok".

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/12304714

Steve- I think vienna makes a good amount of detail but it is not the most detailed sound around. However, I do find they don't tend to fatigue my ears the way a typical metal tweeter speaker tends to. I find them to be a good balance

With viennas, I find that they should either be very close to the rear wall (close coupled setup, less then 5") or more then 18" in a typical room. However, every room is different and the only way one will know for sure is to play around with the various options

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up "downgrading" my price tag to Energy RC-30, but got them for a great price so if a used pr of Bach Grands comes along...

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_D /forum/post/12322076

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up "downgrading" my price tag to Energy RC-30, but got them for a great price so if a used pr of Bach Grands comes along...

Steve, if you are going to go used, look up the mozart grands or even the baby grands if possible. I think the jump from bach to mozart is a good improvement in performance, especially for two channel or loud movies for not a huge increase in price ($750 or so at retail)

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/12335626

Steve, if you are going to go used, look up the mozart grands or even the baby grands if possible. I think the jump from bach to mozart is a good improvement in performance, especially for two channel or loud movies for not a huge increase in price ($750 or so at retail)

Thanks again Rick...

These are Living Room speakers that I wanted to have as small a presence as possible for a wood tower design...I do agree jumping up would be a good idea for primaries, but I'm still in love with my Paradigm Studio 100v2rw's!

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/12116800

I was seriously considering the Haydn Grands for my two channel critical listening system, after reading the Absolute Sound rave review, until I got to the point that you need 100-125 wpc to drive them well.

I will be using these 45wpc set monoblocks:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1197300434

and it appears they won't be up to the task, based on the review

100-130 WPC is about standard for most good high-current amps in premium AV receivers these days. The problem is that that requirement is kind of not real-world. Having listened to Mozarts, Haydns, et al, with a variety of amps, I can tell you that you can hear a difference when pairing them with a lower power amplifier. I'd pair them with nothing less than a Denon AVR4308 or equivalent. If you like the musical sound they produce, then go for a mid-to-high-end Yamaha AVR and you'll be in heaven. If you're an HT guy, then go with the Schönberg series. They're just as fantastic with music as the Grands, but they've got a much better soundstage and midrange than the Grands.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz /forum/post/12431730

Anyone have any idea how an HSU subwoofer would pair with the Mozart Grands?

Also been doing a lot of reading and lots of people are saying Viennas are great for music but not HT. Any thoughts?

While they aren't for anyone, I do like vienna surround systems because to my ears they don't fatigue the way the typical "metal" tweeter speakers will (in most cases). I do think the new maestro grand is a much improved center and sounds very good. The previous offering IMO was not very special, especially at the costs involved. They do need a good amplifier to get the most out of them and at a 4ohm load, they tend to need more then your typical mass market denon/pioneer/onkyo offerings to get the most out of them.

#73 ·
I was looking at a Pioneer Elite 92 or a Denon 2808 prior to considering the Viennas. I have read on this thread that some people have had luck powering them with the Pioneer. I do realize that it is important to pair them with the proper power source such as a seperate amp. Budget constraints though. Thoughts on using the Pioneer or Denon as a pre-amp, or other suggestions are always welcome.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz /forum/post/12432167

I was looking at a Pioneer Elite 92 or a Denon 2808 prior to considering the Viennas. I have read on this thread that some people have had luck powering them with the Pioneer. I do realize that it is important to pair them with the proper power source such as a seperate amp. Budget constraints though. Thoughts on using the Pioneer or Denon as a pre-amp, or other suggestions are always welcome.

I think using a modern receiver as a pre-amp is a great idea. Generally speaking, a modern receiver with all the bells and whistles is pretty damn low cost compared to the likes of modern pre-amps (anthem, krell, lexicon etc). For a power amplifier, maybe check out something like outlaw that offer high current options for reasonable prices. yes, they might not sound quite as good as the $3000+ 5ch power amps (I am not talking from direct comparison or anything) but they will most likely offer a good improvement over the factory amplifier from denon/pioneer/onkyo etc

Hell, I currently have a full martin logan surround system with a lexicon MC-1 processor and a ATI power amplifier. I am working on replacing the lexicon with a avr3808ci ( I really love the dynamic EQ from audessy)

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlafrenz /forum/post/12432167

just get an Insignia stereo receiver, i heard a rumor they do wonders with the Viennas