AVS Forum banner

eD Owner's Thread

227K views 2K replies 329 participants last post by  jag2006 
#1 ·
 http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=2_42

After days of deliberation, I finally settled on a full set of eD home theater speakers for my room. I ordered them yesterday, they shipped the SAME day and will be here tomorrow. How is that for fast? And their shipping is FREE!

I can't believe I got a full set of 6.1 speakers including a BIG subwoofer for $1100.

I got the 6T6 3 Way Towers for the front, the new 6T6 MTM for the center, and three 5TC's for surrounds. I got the BIG A3-300, 12", 300W, 86lb sub.

I was trying to decide between these and the Infinity Betas. Amazon has some great prices for the Betas, but the shipping price kills it. I got the eDs with subwoofer for the same price as the Betas without. The only big difference I can see is the Betas center channel is 3 way and the eD is 2 way.

So, just starting a thread so others with eD can post their comments and such. I know they aren't very common speakers, but they are relatively new as well. But maybe their popularity will take off when more people start reviewing their own set. I will reply when mine come in tomorrow with my initial review.

By the way, I am replacing a set of Carver Cinema 5.2 that I have had for about 9 years which I have loved.

See less See more
#52 ·
If you have room, I would go with the towers. If money is a concern, go with the MTM's now and move them to the back when you go 5.1. Remember that with the MTM's, you're going to want to put the tweeter at ear level, which either means either put them in a bookshelf or get a stand mount, which closes the gap on the price difference.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofast /forum/post/12377635

If you have room, I would go with the towers. If money is a concern, go with the MTM's now and move them to the back when you go 5.1. Remember that with the MTM's, you're going to want to put the tweeter at ear level, which either means either put them in a bookshelf or get a stand mount, which closes the gap on the price difference.

Then how are you guys going to run your center channel? I was going to put mine in front of the tv on the stand.....assuming it doesn't block the bottom of my picture. Haven't ordered a stand yet.

Tom

#54 ·
oh wow lol. I just got home from mexico to find a bunch of boxes in my room :p The 6T6 MTM's are pretty damn big lol I hope I can fit it in my TV stand somewhere. I got two more of them for my fronts as well which I said before. No Sub yet but I do have the 5 speakers other then that. I will be hooking them up tomorrow ish so I will tell yall how that goes. I am very excited though. I still have to put the speaker stands together though
I dont much like the spikes that come with the speaker stands available from eD I am going to grab some metal ones from the store prob for them.

#55 ·
I ordered the A5-350 and couldn't be happier. It stomps the teeth out of the PSB 6i that it replaced.

The finish is industrial and I personally had no problems with it. There are those that will let the aesthetic drive their purchase, then there are others that let sound quality be the determinate. I went for SQ.

#56 ·
Well, made up my mind.

I'm ordering the following:

A6-6T6 Towers

A6-6T7 MTM Single Center

A5-350 Sub

I'm going to order the set probably Wednesday or Thursday. I know it will take a month or longer for the sub, but I think the others speakers would be in relatively soon. I'm going out of town Thursday night, so I'm afraid if I order today, the speakers may show up on my porch while I'm away this weekend and I don't want them sitting there for anyone to walk away with.

I'm quite excited about this purchase.

#57 ·

ya im very pleased so far with the speakers. I have no sub yet we watched a couple blu-rays today though. Fifth Element and Troy both sounded great cant wait for the subwoofer though we have 300 ready to go for that night

I am kind of new to setting all of this up and so I am not sure if I have my reciever setup right. So as I read I might be even more happy as of now games are sounding good too.

#58 ·
Glad to hear it man! I got my tracking numbers for the towers, center, and rears today. Sub is waiting on the wood shop. New reciever shipped out today. New cables/wire shipped out today. New TV or HD-DVD player shipped out today...though it didn't specify which one, I'm guessing the TV....

It should all beat me home, and I can't wait!
I still have to find stands for the rears, and a stand for the TV and equipment.

Tom

#59 ·
We've watched three movies in the past two days. I keep thinking, "Wow, this movie has a great sound track." Then I realized, it's not just the soundtrack, it's the new speakers. Many they sound good! VERY full sound, excellent for home theater application.

Again, the 6T6 MTM is excellent.

I am more than pleased with me new setup.

#60 ·
Do you guys with 6T6 Towers an Center, find the center overpowering the towers or is there a nice blend? I'd hate to spend so much on the towers to have the center be the focal point of the system.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/12394483

Do you guys with 6T6 Towers an Center, find the center overpowering the towers or is there a nice blend? I'd hate to spend so much on the towers to have the center be the focal point of the system.

That's kind of what you want though. They need to blend, but the center IS the focal point. Dialogue is 80% of the movie. The best HT experience is to have a GREAT center, since that's where most the information is coming from. Granted, they must blend with the mains too.

#63 ·
Where does eD ship their Speakers from? I'm trying to gain an idea how long it will take to ship to my house as I'll be out of town Friday and Saturday. If only 3 days, and I order tonight, they may be here Saturday and I don't want them sitting on my porch all day for someone else to take and enjoy

I may need to order later this week.

#65 ·
Good, that's what I want. A nice blend. I had heard the 6T6 Center was a nice fit with the towers, but one of my friends recently got a 5.1 satellite system and his center was a little strong IMO. However, when I heard it I was not in a central location to his system, I was slightly to one side. It just made me question about my own future purchase.

I need to just order this stuff and stop thinking. It gets hype for a reason.

#69 ·
I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to purchasing HT components. I've been reading the threads about the multitudes of brands of speakers but I seem to keep coming back to eD for their package/shipping included pricing. My question is that I've read many people who like the 6T6 speakers but for me I'm not sure they'd be in my budget. Has anyone tried one (6T6) vs the other(5T5) for fronts? This is what I was considering (I only need a 3.1 right now, I have surrounds already):

1X A6-5T5 MTM pr

1X A6-5T5 MTM single (Center)

1X A2-250 sub

I'm trying to keep to somewhat of a budget, but I'm a little flexible. I recently just got a Onkyo SR703, so now I'm looking to expand to 5.1. Any thoughts?

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleng329 /forum/post/12415369

I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to purchasing HT components. I've been reading the threads about the multitudes of brands of speakers but I seem to keep coming back to eD for their package/shipping included pricing. My question is that I've read many people who like the 6T6 speakers but for me I'm not sure they'd be in my budget. Has anyone tried one (6T6) vs the other(5T5) for fronts? This is what I was considering (I only need a 3.1 right now, I have surrounds already):

1X A6-5T5 MTM pr

1X A6-5T5 MTM single (Center)

1X A2-250 sub

I'm trying to keep to somewhat of a budget, but I'm a little flexible. I recently just got a Onkyo SR703, so now I'm looking to expand to 5.1. Any thoughts?

What's your room size? Does it open to another room, or is it a closed room?

#71 ·
Right now, its pretty much a closed room, around 12X12. It's a study in a house. However, I think about a year or so from now I'll be moving into an apartment, so then my HT will be in a living room. I understand that different rooms have different size/power reqs when it comes to speakers but I'm looking for the best all-around choice.

#73 ·
My speakers were delivered today! 4 boxes worth. Each tower was in it's own box, the center was in it's own box, and the 2 rears were in one box. My sub is still waiting on the wood shop or something like that.

Now I just have to wait to get home and play with it all! My Onkyo 805 tracking information said it was delayed by a late train.....so I may have to use my Onkyo 505 for a few days until the 805 arrives. I won't even get to see them until the 9th and hook them up on the 10th. VERY excited though!!!

Tom

#75 ·
what height of stands did you guys purchase to match your 5t5 or 6t6s?

also, my room is approx 2700 sq^3 with two open passages being covered by a curtain. Would the A3-300 suffice for movie watching? moreover, where is the best place to position a subwoofer? My space is pretty limited so would poor sub placement (besides one of the open doors) create a huge difference in sound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.