AVS Forum banner

The NAD T775/T785 AVRs w/ HDMI 1.3 Thread!

Tags
nad
793K views 5K replies 444 participants last post by  Miguel86 
#1 ·
See less See more
#578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASRT /forum/post/12453979

the specs for the Nad receivers list two sets of dimensions, what is meant by gross dimensions vs dimensions?

I know this is a little confusing.

However, I believe, "dimensions" is equivalent to the basic measurements of the chassis rectangular perimeters (ie. width X height X depth).

While "gross dimensions" [may] include the basic chassis perimeter measurements, however, with the addition of the extended measurments of the front-panel control's (ie. knobs, dial's, switch's, etc.,..), rear-panel termination components (ie. binding-post's, RCA connector's, etc.,..), and the chassis feet. All these create a larger rectangle.

Usually the manufacturer (ie. NAD) will specify "shipping weight", or "shipping dimensions", when referring to unit as packed in box or carton.

#579 ·
Hello, this is my first post here, though i have been loitering here for some time while I decide which receiver with advanced features might work best with a Totem Arro/Dreamcatcher speaker set-up. I have been very impressed by what I have heard about the T775.

But cannot, therefore, offer much of a contribution about the experience of owning a NAD. I can, however, testify to the fact that NAD's website is a little misleading, at least where it identifies NYC area dealers. One of three listed I have visited in the Lower Manhattan area does not carry them anymore (but may order them for a customer), another carries only a very small selection of separates, while a third carries a lonely T163 and has no idea when, if at all, it will sell the new line of receivers. I haven't identified them, since I'm unsure about forum etiquette, but it's getting very likely that since I can't even see one before I buy, much less hear one with the totems (which has an even smaller dealer network), I'm more likely to veer towards a Marantz/Arcam/Rotel receiver.

Anyway, it's been a pleasure reading all the comments, and my apologies for debuting with such a negative thought, but the lack of auditioning opportunities is a killer.

#582 ·
"Anyway, it's been a pleasure reading all the comments, and my apologies for debuting with such a negative thought, but the lack of auditioning opportunities is a killer."

I had the same problem; several dealers within driving distance but none intended on displaying the T775/785. One however had a return policy.

One of them offered to have the distributor/rep bring one in for audition; you might try that.

#584 ·
Thought I would post an update on my T775 1080p issue. I downloaded the latest firmware (V1.12) yesterday. It did not fix the problem with passing 1080p from my Panny BD10A. No change from the V1.06 firmware shipped with the receiver. I have not heard back from NAD on any other solution. Looks like it works with the PS3 but not the Panny. In addition, the IR port on the receiver quit working. It may be time to take this one back to the dealer.

#586 ·
Hi,

I picked up my T775 two days ago, it is available now in Europe.

It has firmware version 1.08, LPCM over HDMI is working (all 8 channels).

Does someone now how to update the firmware? Or can it only be done by the dealer?

In my old T762 I was able to switch the OSD, so that you can see the video in the background when entering the setup menu. Is this available in a newer firmware (e.g. V1.12)?? It always takes some time until my beamer syncs the signal when entering setup.

Thanks

Magnus

#587 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 /forum/post/12475417

Did you do a full factory reset to default? Not just a power cycle, but full reset...if so & it's still not working properly, then absolutely return for warranty/exchange.

I followed the instructions in the firmware downloader for power cycling but did not reset to factory defaults. I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. It may have something to do with the connection to the serial port with the PC and changing the interupt at the IR port.

#588 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungam /forum/post/12477194

Hi,

Does someone now how to update the firmware? Or can it only be done by the dealer?

In my old T762 I was able to switch the OSD, so that you can see the video in the background when entering the setup menu. Is this available in a newer firmware (e.g. V1.12)?? It always takes some time until my beamer syncs the signal when entering setup.

Thanks

Magnus

If you have a PC with a RS232 port and a male/female serial cable, you can have NAD email you the firmware loader with instructions. The newest firmware does not allow video and OSD at the same time.

Have you tried passing a 1080p source through the T775?

#589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/12452587

Just had it confirmed that mine was shipped with the updated firmware (T785) and It should be delivered this week

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob801 /forum/post/12456360

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the 785 when you've had some time to try it out.

I'm still waiting for them to arrive in Denmark, although, I can see that the main store that sells NAD over here now has the 775 in stock so it shouldn't be long before the 785 arrives.

Robert

The initial shipment to UK are Graphite finishes only - My preference is the Titanium (silver) finish.

Therefore, it will be sometime in January for my T785.

I have waited since March for one of these, so another month will be fine

Ken

#592 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwarner /forum/post/12477805

I followed the instructions in the firmware downloader for power cycling but did not reset to factory defaults. I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. It may have something to do with the connection to the serial port with the PC and changing the interupt at the IR port.

Good idea to always factory reset to default both before & after firmware updates. Basic step for successfully flashing any kind of hw.

#594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10000 /forum/post/12481169

Good idea to always factory reset to default both before & after firmware updates. Basic step for successfully flashing any kind of hw.

You were absolutely correct. The IR port came back when I loaded the factory defaults. Unfortunately didn't effect 1080p issue. I guess my next plan is to try another 1080p source.

#596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwarner /forum/post/12477989

If you have a PC with a RS232 port and a male/female serial cable, you can have NAD email you the firmware loader with instructions. The newest firmware does not allow video and OSD at the same time.

Have you tried passing a 1080p source through the T775?

You can get USB->serial port cables. Any issue using that to do the update? Serial ports are getting to be an extinct item on any newer motherboards; I'm surprised they are still using it as an interface.

#597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic /forum/post/12482037

You can get USB->serial port cables. Any issue using that to do the update?

I was thinking the same exact thing, I wonder if these cables will work? Because I would like to permanently attatch (mount) an RS-232 cable on my T175, to have access for any future firmware updates, before I push my rack back into place.

#599 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiles4 /forum/post/12384375

Anyone have any experience comparing NAD to Marantz. I am waiting for the NAD 785 to arrive, but the Marantz SR8002 keeps tugging at me as well. I have Monitor Audio GS60's for my front speakers and GS10's for surround, GSLCR for center and a velodyne sub. I know this is a NAD thread but any thoughts? Thank you.

I had the same decision to make. Was totally committed to the NAD T775 / T785... until I heard about the Marantz SR8002. My speakers - Monitor Audio RS 6 / 1 / LCR /FX / Sub.

I've owned both NAD and Marantz. Like the sound of both. Marantz detail and warmth, NAD big, bold power. Preference is probably NAD, but...

I decided on the SR8002. Tough decision. I think I'll be sacrificing some audio quality, in order to get DD TrueHD and DTS-HD out of the box, and the multi-channel PCM bug in the 775 firmware, even though fixed now, really made me question NADs Quality Assurance commitment for the new audio formats - especially when my brother in law has had no luck getting a subwoofer bug fixed in his older NAD receiver (could be New Zealand's NAD support). I also have read/heard more experiences of people matching Monitor Audio with NAD than Marantz. In summary, I'm expecting some convenience and less hassle to compensate for not getting the fantastic NAD sound.

80% of my listening will be multi-channel home theatre with emphasis on BluRay.

Ultimately I'm sure both options will be excellent.

Raymond

#600 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringcorp /forum/post/12467602

Hello, this is my first post here, though i have been loitering here for some time while I decide which receiver with advanced features might work best with a Totem Arro/Dreamcatcher speaker set-up. I have been very impressed by what I have heard about the T775.

But cannot, therefore, offer much of a contribution about the experience of owning a NAD. I can, however, testify to the fact that NAD's website is a little misleading, at least where it identifies NYC area dealers. One of three listed I have visited in the Lower Manhattan area does not carry them anymore (but may order them for a customer), another carries only a very small selection of separates, while a third carries a lonely T163 and has no idea when, if at all, it will sell the new line of receivers. I haven't identified them, since I'm unsure about forum etiquette, but it's getting very likely that since I can't even see one before I buy, much less hear one with the totems (which has an even smaller dealer network), I'm more likely to veer towards a Marantz/Arcam/Rotel receiver.

Anyway, it's been a pleasure reading all the comments, and my apologies for debuting with such a negative thought, but the lack of auditioning opportunities is a killer.

The NAd dealer in my area used to be a Totem dealer. He always teamed NAD up with them due to Totem being a more musical speaker in the past. They are great speakers though. The pack some sound for how small some of their other pieces are. It's going to be hard to do. I think Arcam is going to be too bright for those Totem's. "I" think Arcam makes speakers sound very bright. Marantz I can't comment on, but Rotel might be ok. I like the sond of Rotel's. You should try to find a dealer that has NAD and Kef. It might get you an idea of where you are at with your Totem's. Both are fast and musical. This is a stretch but it's an idea.