AVS Forum banner

Optical (Dolby Digital) vs HDMI (TrueHD) Sound

85K views 170 replies 78 participants last post by  Cathbad 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this short.

I have an HD-DVD player that I use for all my HD viewing. It's connected to my reciever by 5.1 anolog outputs allowing me to get TrueHD sound.

I recently purchased a PS3 and figured that I'd just sell the HD-DVD player.

What I wasn't considering is that my my reciever does not have HDMI inputs so the only way I can connect the PS3 to my reciver is by an optical cable.

Is there a noticable difference in sound in listening to a movie in TrueHD versus whatever format my reciever will accept from the Optical Cable? (It's an older Onkyo, mid priced reciever, about 5 years old) I'm assuming it supports dolby digital, DTS, etc, and it's 5.1. If there is a difference in the sound, is it enough to justify having an HD-DVD player for movies and just using my PS3 for gaming? I guess my other option is to sell the HD-DVD player and use that money to buy a new reciever that accepts HDMI...

See less See more
#102 ·
Hi,

When using HDMI, does the PS3 have HDCP over the audio stream or is that just for the video stream?

Also, if I pass my PS3 through a 1.2a HDMI splitter and then to a 1.3 HDMI receiver, will I still be able to access the Multichannel-PCM and True-HD Audio features of 1.3 HDMI?

Thanks

#103 ·
Lossless is somewhat of a waste of money if your speaker set-up cost less than a new F-150

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexcode99 /forum/post/12498796

Hi,

When using HDMI, does the PS3 have HDCP over the audio stream or is that just for the video stream?

Also, if I pass my PS3 through a 1.2a HDMI splitter and then to a 1.3 HDMI receiver, will I still be able to access the Multichannel-PCM and True-HD Audio features of 1.3 HDMI?

Thanks

As far as I know HDMI period, supports all audio formats. 1.3 is for video 24hz and deep field image etc. You should get Multi-PCM. The PS3 can not pass True-HD it passes it as Multi-PCM, the same thing.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/12512624

As far as I know HDMI period, supports all audio formats. 1.3 is for video 24hz and deep field image etc. You should get Multi-PCM. The PS3 can not pass True-HD it passes it as Multi-PCM, the same thing.

It it not the same thing. Your receiver takes in the PCM and passes it to your speakers as PCM.

If it was True HD your receiver encodes it differently for an entirely DIFFERENT sound. I have heard both from my same setup there is a 110% noticeable difference.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/12512781

It it not the same thing. Your receiver takes in the PCM and passes it to your speakers as PCM.

If it was True HD your receiver encodes it differently for an entirely DIFFERENT sound. I have heard both from my same setup there is a 110% noticeable difference.

Really?, theoretically it should be exactly the same, some Pioneer rec are adding on some form of precessing for bitstreamed audio maybe thats what you hear?, or maybe its because your levels were not matched?(one is 4dbs higher than the other) I am not contesting as I have not tested with the HD soundtracks, but for DD and DTS sent as both PCM and Bitstream sound exactly the same when my rec is set to Direct (no precessing at all)

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/12512781

What do you have that outputs TrueHD to tell the difference?

The only thing I know of that can decode and pass TrueHD is the A35 or XA2 one or the other cant remember.

It might be 10% better. The PS3 cannot pass TrueHD so how can you tell the difference. It converts it to PCM which is the same thing because its all your going to get. 7.1 MultiChannel is awsome on Drakes Charter.

I would like to know If the PS3 can pass dts HD? Because my AVR can handle it. I dont have any movies with it.

Or does it convert it to PCM?

#109 ·
For those of you that posted getting rid of your HD DVD players because you got a PS3. I would'nt do that. The PS3 doesnt upconvert SD DVD as well as the HD DVD players IMOP. I put A Christmas Story in my PS3. It looked nasty. I know its an old movie. I put it in my A2 WOW what a huge difference.

IMOP the BR movies I have dont compare to HD DVD movies either

Pirates 3 and Spiderman looked ok. About as good as the SD version played on my A2

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/12523461

For those of you that posted getting rid of your HD DVD players because you got a PS3. I would'nt do that. The PS3 doesnt upconvert SD DVD as well as the HD DVD players IMOP. I put A Christmas Story in my PS3. It looked nasty. I know its an old movie. I put it in my A2 WOW what a huge difference.

IMOP the BR movies I have dont compare to HD DVD movies either

Pirates 3 and Spiderman looked ok. About as good as the SD version played on my A2

The ps3 is one of the best upconverting DVD players i have seen, i am sure you have not set the upconverting settings correctly

And as far as the movies again something within your setup, your probably only outputting 480p

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0Y0 /forum/post/12524633

My setting:

PS3 video->HDMI-> TV

PS3 audio->Optical (output)->converter->Coax (input)->Philips Home Cinema Set

So I won't be able to experience DolbyTrueHD Audio? Or do I?

I must say when I play a BlueRay movie and swich to TrueHD-Audio I am really amazed

NO. The PS3 converts it to PCM then your AVR gets it as MultiChannel.

TrueHD can only be carried over HDMI or Analog connections. Coax or optical can not handle uncompressed LPCM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its carrying bitstream. What is the audio out optical set to on your PS3? I bet its bitstream. Change it to PCM tell me what happens.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan450 /forum/post/12523872

The ps3 is one of the best upconverting DVD players i have seen, i am sure you have not set the upconverting settings correctly

And as far as the movies again something within your setup, your probably only outputting 480p

Ugh no my set says PS3 displaying 1080p.

A2 displaying 1080i and looks better.

What setting do you recommend on the PS3?

#114 ·
Ok. I am now confused.

I am getting an Onkyo Receiver which has 2 Optical Inputs.

My plan is to have my PS3 and Cable box pass audio directly to my Receiver and video directly to my TV.

As far as the PS3 is concerned the only thing I can not get using the Optical Cable is this True HD...right?

I have never heard of True HD (not a huge audiophile) but I am assuming Dobly and DTS will be fine on my ears. It has to be better than just the TV audio.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 /forum/post/12527200

Ok. I am now confused.

I am getting an Onkyo Receiver which has 2 Optical Inputs.

My plan is to have my PS3 and Cable box pass audio directly to my Receiver and video directly to my TV.

As far as the PS3 is concerned the only thing I can not get using the Optical Cable is this True HD...right?

I have never heard of True HD (not a huge audiophile) but I am assuming Dobly and DTS will be fine on my ears. It has to be better than just the TV audio.

Which one are you getting?

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 /forum/post/12532387

Onkyo HT-SR600

Dolby Digital is the highest you get. It does have a MultiChannel input though. If someone made an adapter which I dont see possible. (HDMI to HDMI

w/analog for audio). Then you would get TrueHD. If you get an BR or HDDVD player with analog out yes you would be in business.

Alot of in depth info on TrueHD is in link below. Recommend people reading before posting questions here about TrueHD capabilities.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=640949

#118 ·
This is from the post HD A1 XA2 audio questions.

S/PDIF Coaxial or Toslink (optical) Digital Audio Connection (same as current DVD players)

If SPDIF Audio Output is set to Bitstream (the default) you will get the new formats either transcoded or re-encoded to standard DD or DTS. The format depends on the disc, but the launch titles all use "Advanced Content" which is re-encoded to DTS at 1.5 Mbps by the XA1 and A1. See the "Advanced Con." row in the attached table for details.

If SPDIF Audio Output is set to Bitstream (the default) standard DD or DTS streams on DVDs will be passed as that bitstream.
You can only get 2 channel PCM over SPDIF. If you set SPDIF Audio Output to PCM, you will only get 2 channels. See the attached table.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/12533489

Dolby Digital is the highest you get. It does have a MultiChannel input though. If someone made an adapter which I dont see possible. (HDMI to HDMI

w/analog for audio). Then you would get TrueHD. If you get an BR or HDDVD player with analog out yes you would be in business.

Which would be better to use on a PS3 as a BR player? And analog is your typical composites?

Also, dont mean to highjack the thread, but will it be better to get just the receiver thats included with the S600 and possibly different types of speakers? Or the whole system is nice? Reason im asking is i was at CC today and i was listening to the S600, they didnt have it hooked up to the tv, but i put it on the radio station and it sounded like crap for some reason. The sub had no kick to it. Its now got me thinking about buying just the receiver and separate speakers and sub.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWB /forum/post/12540953

Which would be better to use on a PS3 as a BR player? And analog is your typical composites?

Also, dont mean to highjack the thread, but will it be better to get just the receiver thats included with the S600 and possibly different types of speakers? Or the whole system is nice? Reason im asking is i was at CC today and i was listening to the S600, they didnt have it hooked up to the tv, but i put it on the radio station and it sounded like crap for some reason. The sub had no kick to it. Its now got me thinking about buying just the receiver and separate speakers and sub.

Yes analog is composite.

IMOP I would buy an AVR and seperate speakers. If you keep an eye on their web site you can pick up the 805 for $699.00. I dont know what your budget is? Amazon has the S600 for $219.00. A buddy of mine has this receiver. It sucks. It weighs nothing.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/12544752

Yes analog is composite.

IMOP I would buy an AVR and seperate speakers. If you keep an eye on their web site you can pick up the 805 for $699.00. I dont know what your budget is? Amazon has the S600 for $219.00. A buddy of mine has this receiver. It sucks. It weighs nothing.

Yea but piecing a HT together can run some big money, lol. My budget is not that much, but its not as high as piecing a HT together either. I just cant figure out what to get.

Why do you say the receiver sucks? Alot of people give it good reviews

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/12525777

NO. The PS3 converts it to PCM then your AVR gets it as MultiChannel.

TrueHD can only be carried over HDMI or Analog connections. Coax or optical can not handle uncompressed LPCM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its carrying bitstream. What is the audio out optical set to on your PS3? I bet its bitstream. Change it to PCM tell me what happens.

Not exactly.......Optical can handle 8 channels of 24/96 uncompressed, the reason you are not allowed to pass it has everything to do with copy restrictions. Coax/optical are unprotected formats, and regardless of how much of a PIA it would be to make a bit for bit copy, the powers that be put the kabosh to it. That's also why multi channel SACD is not allowed over optical, not because it's not capable.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWB /forum/post/12545519

Yea but piecing a HT together can run some big money, lol. My budget is not that much, but its not as high as piecing a HT together either. I just cant figure out what to get.

Why do you say the receiver sucks? Alot of people give it good reviews

My freind has it I dont like it IMOP. You can piece it together for allot less. Good luck with it.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessisNevermore /forum/post/12545533

Not exactly.......Optical can handle 8 channels of 24/96 uncompressed, the reason you are not allowed to pass it has everything to do with copy restrictions. Coax/optical are unprotected formats, and regardless of how much of a PIA it would be to make a bit for bit copy, the powers that be put the kabosh to it. That's also why multi channel SACD is not allowed over optical, not because it's not capable.

I think I have heard that before. I will check it out.

Bottom line is my point is people here think they are reaping the benefits of it ex. TrueHD with optical. They are not.

#125 ·
Someone please answer this, I have PS3 set to PCM connected HDMI to my Onkyo 805 which has DTSHD. I purchased a movie with DTSHD 7.1. All I get is MultiChannel 5.1 Whats the deal? I play some games and get 7.1 multichannel.

Can the PS3 decode DTSHD on board and output it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.