AVS Forum banner

Sony LCD TV Failure Rate

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  studdad 
#1 ·
I am probably going to purcahse a Sony KDL-40W3000 within the next week or so. I never purchase extended warranties and certainly would never do so from places like CC, BB, etc. However, I noticed that a "three year" service plan (two year extention of the factory warranty) direct from sony is $100.00. This seems reasonable so I am probably going to purchase it.

Now my question.

I noticed the $100/three year service plan jumps 100% to $200 for four years. It is then only a 25% increase to five years ($250.00). Does this imply a large spike in the expected failure rate between the third and fourth years of ownership? Does this spike apply to just Sony products or is it typical of all LCD devices.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080z /forum/post/12576863

I would guess that it represents quantity pricing only. Sony chose to give a price break at the fifth year.

The OPs point is they chose lower pricing for the first 2 years ($50/yr for years 2&3) and the 5th year ($50/year). The 4th year incremental was $100. If the goal is to push towards 5yrs, why wouldn't the deals just get better and better like with magazines, instead of good, bad, medium like with the Sony pricing.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS /forum/post/12576832

I am probably going to purcahse a Sony KDL-40W3000 within the next week or so. I never purchase extended warranties and certainly would never do so from places like CC, BB, etc. However, I noticed that a "three year" service plan (two year extention of the factory warranty) direct from sony is $100.00. This seems reasonable so I am probably going to purchase it.

Now my question.

I noticed the $100/three year service plan jumps 100% to $200 for four years. It is then only a 25% increase to five years ($250.00). Does this imply a large spike in the expected failure rate between the third and fourth years of ownership? Does this spike apply to just Sony products or is it typical of all LCD devices.

My assumption would be that failure rate increases starting in the 4th year, but stays fairly steady after that,,,,at least through the 5th year. However, I would still expect that failure rate to be a small percentage of tvs, even in the 4th year. I mean, you are only spending $100 for that 4th year. If you have a $2,000 tv, that would mean it would take 20 people on the service contract in the 4th year to make up the cost for one TV (well, at retail anyway). That equals a 5% failure rate. Obviously they use much more extensive statistics to figure this out and make sure they are not losing money on the deal, but this gives you an idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.