AVS Forum banner

Motorola 34xx &64xx DVR "Official Thread"

407K views 2K replies 397 participants last post by  TNO821 
#1 ·
Just wanted to start a thread similar to the Moxi BMC90xx for people to put their questions and answers for Motorola DCT and DCH DVR boxes. With these boxes the last two numbers are indicative of Hard drive size as so:

xx08 = 80 gig

xx12 = 120 gig

xx16 = 160 gig

The majority of Motorola DVRs will be one of the following:

Motorola DCT 34xx
Motorola DCT 64xx
Motorola DCH 34xx
Motorola DCH 64xx

Other Usefull Links
TV Guide "I-guide" interactive Demo
Charter Remote Page
Motorola's Digital Video information Section

**To my knowledge no system has enabled the USB or eSATA ports on these DVRs for external hard drives.**

Please Note: This thread is not in any way, shape or form, official representation for Charter Communications. All opinions are those of the respective posters etc. This thread does not encourage any activities that may be construed as Hacking or Cable Thieft.

This is by no means a Charter only thread

See less See more
#277 ·
The 3416 is the digital only version of the 6416. There are no analog tuners in the 3416.

Also, with Iguide, you should have full buffer capability on tuner 2. Pause, skip, instant replay all should work just fine. When you swap back to tuner 1, you still have the same capabilities as well.

#279 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/12577655

Yes the 3416 is HD and has an HDMI output instead of DVI. I also have full functionality on both tuners.

Very odd, I'll have to see if I can duplicate the feature absence on tuner 2 with other boxes.

I was thinking the 3416 was the digital only 6416 - unfortunately our market still has quite an analog presence to go... otherwise my test DCH100 might be worth something *L*

DVI should only appear on the older DCT series - 6208s some 6412s - I've not seen it on any 6416 (DCT or DCH) but then again all of ours here are Phase IIIs

#280 ·
Hi all!

I have comcast digital cable with their Motorola DVR. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I have no clue of where to start so I'm gonna probably ask some dumb questions here...

Is there a way to transfer the recordings from my DVR to a regular DVD so I can back them up and play them later on my HD DVD player? Or is that what some of those 3-in-1 units do (DVD player, recorder and acts like a DVR)? If it can only be done through 1 unit, will I loose the TV guide feature I have now with my Comcast DVR? I really like that it knows what's on TV. So what's the best option? And what's the cost of being able to do something like this?

Thanks!

Nick

#281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames /forum/post/12577704

Very odd, I'll have to see if I can duplicate the feature absence on tuner 2 with other boxes.

I was thinking the 3416 was the digital only 6416 - unfortunately our market still has quite an analog presence to go... otherwise my test DCH100 might be worth something *L*

DVI should only appear on the older DCT series - 6208s some 6412s - I've not seen it on any 6416 (DCT or DCH) but then again all of ours here are Phase IIIs

Same over here on Comcast. I just got the DCH 3416, and let me tell you I love it. The buffer thing is on both tuners. This box is the digital only separable security box.

Our area is ADS, so they have the DCT6200 as well for HD besides the DCH3200. As they are phasing out the DCT6200, DCH3200's are becoming the standard issue for HD boxes. The DCH3200 is in such demand that you have to go on a Tuesday to intercept the shipment, otherwise they are all taken same day. It's crazy the rate of HD adoption in my area, probably upwards of 30-50% or higher.

You guys on Charter have the DCH100? I was looking to get that one to replace my DCT700 (overheats even with proper ventilation), but Comcast hasn't rolled it out yet here.

#282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz /forum/post/12581134

Hi all!

I have comcast digital cable with their Motorola DVR. I'm sure there is a way to do it but I have no clue of where to start so I'm gonna probably ask some dumb questions here...

Is there a way to transfer the recordings from my DVR to a regular DVD so I can back them up and play them later on my HD DVD player? Or is that what some of those 3-in-1 units do (DVD player, recorder and acts like a DVR)? If it can only be done through 1 unit, will I loose the TV guide feature I have now with my Comcast DVR? I really like that it knows what's on TV. So what's the best option? And what's the cost of being able to do something like this?

Thanks!

Nick

Digital copies of content is a major no-no with the MPAA acting as judge, jury and executioner over all involved in any major attempt to do so - as such most DVRs are designed and maintained by MSOs not to allow any sort of shareing of recorded content.

However this does not mean you're S-O-L.

What I recommend is getting a DVD recorder - it doesn't have to have the VCR options, just DVD recording. Wally wurld generally has them for less than $100 now - run the box in either by RF, RCA or S-Video. Here's one area where the DCT/DCH boxes shine over Moxi - the SD outputs do not disable just because you're using HD - so you can now record off the Analog SDs (HD if you can find a DVD recorder with Component input) and record them over to disk.

Generally I recommend just recording a copy when you watch it back on your DVR or setting up to play back / record while your out or @ work.

#283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 /forum/post/12581237

Same over here on Comcast. I just got the DCH 3416, and let me tell you I love it. The buffer thing is on both tuners. This box is the digital only separable security box.

Our area is ADS, so they have the DCT6200 as well for HD besides the DCH3200. As they are phasing out the DCT6200, DCH3200's are becoming the standard issue for HD boxes. The DCH3200 is in such demand that you have to go on a Tuesday to intercept the shipment, otherwise they are all taken same day. It's crazy the rate of HD adoption in my area, probably upwards of 30-50% or higher.

You guys on Charter have the DCH100? I was looking to get that one to replace my DCT700 (overheats even with proper ventilation), but Comcast hasn't rolled it out yet here.

The DCH 100 / 200 series will be replacing the old 2000 / 2500s - they are the new SD box. Most MSOs are slow in deploying them and I only got a test one by Motorola's mistake
- However, as the MSOs will eventually *HAVE* to buy more SDs as the old ones die out - these will be the replacements. For now most people are more interested in upgrading to a DVR or HD box, so old SD boxes are plentiful supply. - As I understand it these are the only Non-DVR SD boxes Motorola currently offers.

These are VERY small boxes, about 1/3 the size of a 6416 - the power supply is no longer internal - there's a smaller adapter with an in-line transformer.

The primary difference is the 100 is digital only and the 200 is analog/digital and they have the design features of the DCH 6416 (silver with black front) and *NO* buttons on the front.

Also for those on watch for future features - these *ARE* MoCA compliant.

Boxes are Card based (thus the DCH name) and sport RF, RCA, Svid, Optical, SPDIF / Coaxial Audio - there's one USB port, a small 1/8 in plug in for a serial port adapter and a plug in for Ext IR (IR Blaster)

For pictures and specs hit here

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...100_settop.asp

#284 ·
Hi folks,

I put this on another thread but I noticed activity in this one and I'm hoping I can get some guidance. My issue is not new and based on the research on this topic im not sure what to try next.

Hi folks, I'm trying to figure out if I shoudl return my box to Comcast or if there is something I'm missing configuration wise. Based on the comments I've read it looks like i have the right firmware to support HDMI display (16.45) but I'm unable to recognize anything. When I go to diagnostics 11 it shows DVI/HDMI NO for enabled and NO for Active. I've tried to unplug both connections and changed HDMI cables but no luck. Then I tried to go to the menu to see if I get HDMI settings but I do not see anything and scrolling thru I'm unable to land on the blank line underneath 4:3 over ride. Any suggestions? Does comcast have to enable the HDMI port? is it done by just having the right firmware or by changing setings on the cable box? your help is greatly appreciated.

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic_pork /forum/post/12588920

Hi folks,

I put this on another thread but I noticed activity in this one and I'm hoping I can get some guidance. My issue is not new and based on the research on this topic im not sure what to try next.

Hi folks, I'm trying to figure out if I shoudl return my box to Comcast or if there is something I'm missing configuration wise. Based on the comments I've read it looks like i have the right firmware to support HDMI display (16.45) but I'm unable to recognize anything. When I go to diagnostics 11 it shows DVI/HDMI NO for enabled and NO for Active. I've tried to unplug both connections and changed HDMI cables but no luck. Then I tried to go to the menu to see if I get HDMI settings but I do not see anything and scrolling thru I'm unable to land on the blank line underneath 4:3 over ride. Any suggestions? Does comcast have to enable the HDMI port? is it done by just having the right firmware or by changing setings on the cable box? your help is greatly appreciated.

From what I've seen from Motorola systems, the base firmware for these boxes enables the port from default (in the past we had to enable serial ports etc, this seems on from the get-go)

however I have noticed several things that can go wrong

1) Encryption

If you have a TV that doesn't support the Encryption handshake or if you're passing through a device that doesn't support it (a non-switching receiver or HDMI switch) it may not bring up a picture

2) Audio - if you use a HDMI to DVI adapter you will lose audio. DVI does not support audio.

3) sync

You may have to power cycle the TV, the Box or both a few times for them to synchronize

#2 doesn't sound like it applies here, so I'd work with #1 and #3

#286 ·
Hi Charter James,

I've tried power cycling both and no luck (although not an extreme number of times each (I have a dlp so don't think continual on/off is good for the tv). Not sure if it makes a difference but I already have an HDMI connection from the same tv to my ps3 and that works like a charm. I'm going straight to the TV so no receiver or switch in between. I'm not sure what else to try and not looking forward to calling comcast to be honest. I'm sure I'll loose a few hours of my life trying to get someone that might remotely be able to help me. Let me know what you think.

#287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic_pork /forum/post/12589072

Hi Charter James,

I've tried power cycling both and no luck (although not an extreme number of times each (I have a dlp so don't think continual on/off is good for the tv). Not sure if it makes a difference but I already have an HDMI connection from the same tv to my ps3 and that works like a charm. I'm going straight to the TV so no receiver or switch in between. I'm not sure what else to try and not looking forward to calling comcast to be honest. I'm sure I'll loose a few hours of my life trying to get someone that might remotely be able to help me. Let me know what you think.

Call Comcast and request a Cold Initialize - that should force a reload and a reset to default of all settings on the box - if it doesn't come up then then I'd make a local visit to their office - see if a customer service or tech ops manager can tell you if HDMI is working and supported (it should be, however I rarely trust CSRs to be "in the know" when it comes to anything technicial)

If so, then advise them you've tried the settings, you've had your box cold initialized and you've tried multiple cables and you'd like to try a different box - with luck that should work.

If a Supervisor or Manager isn't availible have the CSRs give you their name, number and email - no CSR should balk at this - and take up the issue with them. That should get some action on this for ya!

#288 ·
Above there is mention about switching tuners. I have a 3416 and have not noticed a way to tell which of the two tuners is being used to record/view which program. It sounds like on the 3416 the tuners are identical which is nice, but how do you even know what tuner is doing what?

Thanks,

Guy

#289 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man /forum/post/12589257

Above there is mention about switching tuners. I have a 3416 and have not noticed a way to tell which of the two tuners is being used to record/view which program. It sounds like on the 3416 the tuners are identical which is nice, but how do you even know what tuner is doing what?

Thanks,

Guy

generally there should be no difference on tuners reguardless - usually you stay on a primary while the secondary records programming a a channel you are not actively tuned to.

If you go into the diagnostics - I believe it's tuner status you'll see where each tuner is pointed to.

Usually the only time you'll switch tuners is if your recording a program your watching and you try to tune away - at this point it will advise you that you're recording the program and offer you to switch to the other tuner.

In this mode I've seen no differences in tuner behavoir. However if you use specialized programming on an advanced remote you can often set up a swap button which will force a tuner swap with no dialogue etc - it works alot like hitting last except you're jumping to the other tuner instead of the last tuned channel.

In this mode (manual swap) I was unable to access skip and advance functions, however it may have just been either a result of switching tuners manually or it may just be something screwy with my test box.

Generally the only reason I can see someone wanting to switch tuners manually is in troubleshooting - if you're getting alot of black screens for shows you may want to verify that both tuners are able to view Analog, SD Digital and HD without issue - generally if you notice one type of programming not showing up or alot of bad recordings there might be a harddware failure of one of the tuners.

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames /forum/post/12589333

Usually the only time you'll switch tuners is if your recording a program your watching and you try to tune away - at this point it will advise you that you're recording the program and offer you to switch to the other tuner.

In this mode I've seen no differences in tuner behavoir. However if you use specialized programming on an advanced remote you can often set up a swap button which will force a tuner swap with no dialogue etc - it works alot like hitting last except you're jumping to the other tuner instead of the last tuned channel.

In this mode (manual swap) I was unable to access skip and advance functions, however it may have just been either a result of switching tuners manually or it may just be something screwy with my test box.

Generally the only reason I can see someone wanting to switch tuners manually is in troubleshooting - if you're getting alot of black screens for shows you may want to verify that both tuners are able to view Analog, SD Digital and HD without issue - generally if you notice one type of programming not showing up or alot of bad recordings there might be a harddware failure of one of the tuners.

Actually the tuner swapping comes in quite useful on a correctly functioning box (at least in a Comcast system). Main reason is the recording buffer is not lost when swapping tuners as it is when using the 'last' button. Say you're watching two games & you want to switch back & forth but not miss a play, you would want to use 'swap' for this. You can be watching one game & when it goes to commercial (or you just want to pause it) you can swap to the other tuner & either rewind the show or if you paused it the last time you left it you can just continue where you left off. For watching SD content this works really well being the buffer will hold about 90 minutes or so, but on HD the buffer is only around 15-20 minutes. From reading some prior posts on here some other cable systems may not have these capabilities but in most, if not all Comcast systems this should work.

#291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterJames /forum/post/12588479

The DCH 100 / 200 series will be replacing the old 2000 / 2500s - they are the new SD box. Most MSOs are slow in deploying them and I only got a test one by Motorola's mistake
- However, as the MSOs will eventually *HAVE* to buy more SDs as the old ones die out - these will be the replacements. For now most people are more interested in upgrading to a DVR or HD box, so old SD boxes are plentiful supply. - As I understand it these are the only Non-DVR SD boxes Motorola currently offers.

These are VERY small boxes, about 1/3 the size of a 6416 - the power supply is no longer internal - there's a smaller adapter with an in-line transformer.

The primary difference is the 100 is digital only and the 200 is analog/digital and they have the design features of the DCH 6416 (silver with black front) and *NO* buttons on the front.

Also for those on watch for future features - these *ARE* MoCA compliant.

Boxes are Card based (thus the DCH name) and sport RF, RCA, Svid, Optical, SPDIF / Coaxial Audio - there's one USB port, a small 1/8 in plug in for a serial port adapter and a plug in for Ext IR (IR Blaster)

For pictures and specs hit here

http://broadband.motorola.com/busine...100_settop.asp

How does the DCH100 perform? Any lagging? Same issues of limited distance to change channels like in the DCT700? Overheating?

Since my area on Comcast is digital simulcast I would get the DCH100. I'd really want to swap out my DCT700 for it.

#292 ·
OK here goes maybe someone can help-Insight cable tech isn't able to.---

hardware: Motorola 6416 III (cstb)-Samsung DVD/Rcvr(HTiB)-Samsung LCD 32" HDTV---

current setup: 6416 HDMI out to tv(HDMI1), optical out to DVD rcvr, DVD/rcvr HDMI to tv(HDMI2). This works but have to switch sources back and forth, not cool, shouldn't have to do this.--- Desired(proper) setup: 6416 HDMI out to DVD/Rcvr HDMI in, DVD/Rcvr HDMI out to tv(HDMI1)--- Problem with this is handshake issues or something, the box sez to use component cables because of copy protection issues or something and sets the display to green/blank screen. Anybody got any ideas for a fix?

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 /forum/post/12590102

How does the DCH100 perform? Any lagging? Same issues of limited distance to change channels like in the DCT700? Overheating?

Since my area on Comcast is digital simulcast I would get the DCH100. I'd really want to swap out my DCT700 for it.

Performance as far as guide interactions, speed etc is on par with the 6416 - heat wise I've noticed this unit does put out less heat as the power supply is not part of the box - it has the same venting (mesh top and sides) as the rest of the DCH series.

#294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by supwdatt /forum/post/12590294

OK here goes maybe someone can help-Insight cable tech isn't able to.---

hardware: Motorola 6416 III (cstb)-Samsung DVD/Rcvr(HTiB)-Samsung LCD 32" HDTV---

current setup: 6416 HDMI out to tv(HDMI1), optical out to DVD rcvr, DVD/rcvr HDMI to tv(HDMI2). This works but have to switch sources back and forth, not cool, shouldn't have to do this.--- Desired(proper) setup: 6416 HDMI out to DVD/Rcvr HDMI in, DVD/Rcvr HDMI out to tv(HDMI1)--- Problem with this is handshake issues or something, the box sez to use component cables because of copy protection issues or something and sets the display to green/blank screen. Anybody got any ideas for a fix?

Unfortunately the fix would be to get a new receiver. Your Receiver isn't making the handshake required for encryption and all digital content is required to be encrypted. In so far as making what you've got work with HDMI you'd either need to fix or get your receiver updated (some like JVC had some form of firmware patching that allowed for the handshake) - this isn't common or likely.

Your only other fix would be if the Receiver can Upconvert on the hdmi output, in which case you should be able to leave the TV on HDMI, plug the DCH into the receiver by Component cables and let the Receiver convert this to digital from there.

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigT1 /forum/post/12404311

I previously have had five 6412's that had to be returned due to occasional freezing and video breakup during movies(all I watch). These are all SD, not HD. All of the DVR's developed problems after being used for awhile(deletions and new recordings). This last time(several months ago) they gave me a DCH 3416 and it has been far better but it is showing the same symptoms and appears like it's getting worse. Several techs have checked the lines(at my cost!) but only for signal level, not SNR. The lines were OK supposedly and they probably are since I tried a TIVO HD with cable cards for almost a month with no problems and signals levels were showing as in the 90's on it. I did run new RG6 cable to see if it would help- it didn't. Any ideas on what the issue might be or if this is common for the Motorola DVR's? Frankly I didn't care for the TIVO HD(too slow and disruptive when trying to simply manually set up recordings) but I sure get tired of watching over an hour or two of a movie and have to delete it before it ends due to the problems. Thanks.

Craig

I know exactly how frustrating this problem can be. We had similar problems with our DVR - we're on our fourth one. First one kept freezing up during play back, second one would record and play back fine but the audio would occasionally "pop". Third one brought back the freezing during playback, and finally the fourth one is working fine (and has been for over a year, occasional reboot aside). The tech who brought our 4th unit out explained that a lot of the techs let the DVR's rattle around in the door pockets or on the floor, which will ruin a hard drive. He told us that he always keeps his on the seats, and either he's right or we finally got lucky because the one he brought out works great. Heat is also a concern with these units. We used to keep ours in a cabinet with glass doors that we kept closed, but now we keep the doors open and make sure that the cooling fan on the botton has plenty of room to breathe.

#296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystone /forum/post/12591664

I know exactly how frustrating this problem can be. We had similar problems with our DVR - we're on our fourth one. First one kept freezing up during play back, second one would record and play back fine but the audio would occasionally "pop". Third one brought back the freezing during playback, and finally the fourth one is working fine (and has been for over a year, occasional reboot aside). The tech who brought our 4th unit out explained that a lot of the techs let the DVR's rattle around in the door pockets or on the floor, which will ruin a hard drive. He told us that he always keeps his on the seats, and either he's right or we finally got lucky because the one he brought out works great. Heat is also a concern with these units. We used to keep ours in a cabinet with glass doors that we kept closed, but now we keep the doors open and make sure that the cooling fan on the botton has plenty of room to breathe.

Most techs will generally take care of the boxes they get, especially DVRs, not so much because they are delicate, but because they know we don't have many and they don't want to make alot of trips back and forth.

Generally when once the power's been off for at least 2 minutes, the head is parked, from this position only the nastiest treatment should harm the drive.

Pauses, skips and other video issues on recordings can also be caused by signal issues @ the time of recording or an issue with the tuner... Frequenty tuner issues go undetected as it will be on the good tuner when the box is run through the warehouse.

Heat is a definite killer - We used to nickname the Moxi boxes "Fireball 9000"s after an issue with the very first ones caused the heat sink to fall off the boxe's processing unit and one in a lab enviroment was said to actually catch fire. This issue did not make it to wide scale deployment (again, only the EARLIEST moxi boxes) and new rules were put in place about not running a DVR from a verticle position

To their credit Motorola actually uses some decent shock absorbing washers on their HD mounting, I was impressed when I disected a few dead 6208s

Still it could be better... and I've heard enough tales about contractors and MSO employees who should know better to know it's very possible for a box to get some pretty rough treatment.

#298 ·
My cable system seems to run all analog in the lower70+ channels, and my Sony shows them as "NTSC" input source. (This is not through the 6416 but through the Sony direct)

Continuing (still without the 6416) up into the 80 and 90 there are channels that show up as "480i" as their input source on my TV. The one in the 80s are ESPN and a 24 hour weather channel and the ones (3) in the 90s are PBS channels that are not in our local area. What are these? Are they SD digital chanels? What is the intent of this?

#299 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser /forum/post/12595851

My cable system seems to run all analog in the lower70+ channels, and my Sony shows them as "NTSC" input source. (This is not through the 6416 but through the Sony direct)

Continuing (still without the 6416) up into the 80 and 90 there are channels that show up as "480i" as their input source on my TV. The one in the 80s are ESPN and a 24 hour weather channel and the ones (3) in the 90s are PBS channels that are not in our local area. What are these? Are they SD digital chanels? What is the intent of this?

Those are digital SDs - most systems are migrating some new digitals in the 80 -99 range - they aren't part of any digital tier, just what's slowly becoming "Digital Expanded Basic" - for newer TVs there isn't much change, but for older analog TVs without a box, they would not get those.

As we reach the 2009 deadline for analog transmission more channels will go digital and less will be availilble without some form of Digital receiver.

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser /forum/post/12595779

Ran an experiment the other night. Set up DVR to record a program in future. Shut off DVR. When it came time, DVR turned on, recorded program and shut off again.

Only problem, Charter's clock is slow by nearly 1 1/2 minutes. Who attention do I bring this error to for correction?

Let your local office's technicial manager know - that time is controlled by the "Digital Addressable Controller" (DAC) a server which controls all boxes. Usually the DAC is connected to a Time server which keeps it accurate. Sometimes something might go wrong with the time server or a system may not be correctly set up for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.