AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#2 ·
You are two posts into your avsforum journey. You need to do some reading on these boards and you will find your answer. You can start reading here.

There are many factors that make up the answer to your question. What TV do you have? What AVR do you have? Do you need the player to decode the audio formats or do you want the player to bitstream the audio? Does your AVR have HDMI inputs? There are just too many good BR players out there for there to be just one that is the best. Have fun reading.

#3 ·
Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. I dont think HDdvd can recover from this. So Im here asking for help on a mid level Blu-Ray player. I would like to have one with the following.

True HD decoding bitstream

A Excellent upscaler for SDDVD's

1080p

I have a Toshiba XA2 so something that might be comparable to that would be great.

Here is my equipment:

Pioneer 5080HD

Onkyo tx-sr805

Hopefully looking around the $500 range. I really dont want a PS3 but if that is the best choice Ill go with that. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 /forum/post/12684016

Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. I dont think HDdvd can recover from this. So Im here asking for help on a mid level Blu-Ray player. I would like to have one with the following.

True HD decoding bitstream

A Excellent upscaler for SDDVD's

1080p

I have a Toshiba XA2 so something that might be comparable to that would be great.

Here is my equipment:

Pioneer 5080HD

Onkyo tx-sr805

Hopefully looking around the $500 range. I really dont want a PS3 but if that is the best choice Ill go with that. Thanks for any help.

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best stand-alone BD player out there at the moment. You can check the thread for details but here is a summary of its features:

* bitstreams all of the latest audio formats (inlcuding TRUE HD and DTS MA) which will work very nicely with your Onkyo doing the decoding

* Excellent 1080P BD PQ (nothing better IMO and I own three different BD players)

* DVD upsaling is competent - not the best upscaling BD on the market which is the Samsung BD-P1200 (already discontinued and having lots of problems with BD and DVD playback requiring FW updates)

* BD30 has played everything I've put into it with no issues

* Can be had for close to $400 right now. Wait a month or two and it will probably drop more.

Good luck in your search.

#6 ·
Hey you still have a great player and movies that aren't on Blu-ray. I don't know why people are complaining.
I've had a PS3 since almost the beginning and it works well and I can't complain. You don't need to worry about upconverting since you have the XA2.

larry

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 /forum/post/12684433

Thanks for the help guys The Panny looks pretty good at the moment. Maybe I should wait to see what is announced at CES
Moment is the key word around these parts. The best is always for a short moment...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 /forum/post/12684016

Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place ..........

Here is my equipment:

Please consider the new Panny HD30, neat machine and FAST!

BTW: I also own a Tobby A1, A3, Sony S1, and S300, used on 3 different HDTV's. Also three different JVC D-VHS decks, point being, all my D-Theater and home made OTA tapes still play and I can still record over the air on one set-up. Your HD DVD's will always "still play".

FWIW and all that stuff, YMMV.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan /forum/post/12684273

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best stand-alone BD player out there at the moment. You can check the thread for details but here is a summary of its features:

* bitstreams all of the latest audio formats (inlcuding TRUE HD and DTS MA) which will work very nicely with your Onkyo doing the decoding

* Excellent 1080P BD PQ (nothing better IMO and I own three different BD players)

* DVD upsaling is competent - not the best upscaling BD on the market which is the Samsung BD-P1200 (already discontinued and having lots of problems with BD and DVD playback requiring FW updates)

* BD30 has played everything I've put into it with no issues

* Can be had for close to $400 right now. Wait a month or two and it will probably drop more.

Good luck in your search.

How about if I don't have a HDMI 1.3 capable receiver (just HDMI).

#13 ·
JLS24, help me out, recover from what? what did I miss? was there some type of announcement?

BTW, I have an XA2 also. I bought it to be my last SD DVD player I would ever need. It's widely accepted as the absolute best upscaling player.....SD DVD's look fantastic. So, if HD DVD does die, you will have the best DVD player available, and will still have a library of great looking titles on HD DVD.

If BD wins this thing, it could be a long time if ever, before HD DVD titles are put on BD.........Lot of life left in your XA2 in my opinion.

I'm almost where you are. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on BD yet. I'm waiting on the Denon player to come out with the Realta processor. If they do it right(include bit stream AND decode of both advanced multi-channel audio streams, ethernet connection, etc)

I agree with others, the BD30 is the one to have IF you have an AVR that will decode. has a really, really goofy remote though. strange coming from Panasonic.

#14 ·
If a decent $200 player comes out of CES it might be worth waiting, but at the price point that the current models come in at, I decided to just go with the PS3. Even if it becomes obsoleted by new features or new formats, at least it still has value as a game platform, or wifi capable media player. Plus it's upgradeable.

Very happy with the decision. I was initially leaning towards the BD30, but at $500 ... it's just too much for what you get.

The PS3 is not perfect, but IMO nothing is right now.

#19 ·
Hi,

Can someone please discuss the pros and cons of using a PS3 in a dedicated home theater?

I assume that it can be oriented horizontally in an equipment rack? How loud is it in comparison to a standalone Blu-ray player?

Is there any Blu-ray player that has comparable features to the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player?

Thanks.

Larry