AVS Forum banner
975K views 8K replies 994 participants last post by  Brian2109 
#1 ·
I've been hanging out here for couple of months and I did not see an official thread for Aperion. I have heard so much about them, and they are all positive. I currently own Athena Point5 and Mirage S12, but thinking to upgrade to Aperions.

I find very few Aperion threads scattered here and thought will start an official one.

I am planning to get 633T/634VAC and 534 SS next year and working on my budget. Any info's on Aperions would be great

#453 ·
Thanks a lot Hopstretch and Wryker, greatly appreciated. I can't afford any more for the receiver Wryker as I'm already pushing my budget. The Onkyo 605 I can get on sale for $450 right now at Circuit City with a 3 year extended warranty for $20. I see a few slightly better deals online but I'd rather get it local where if anything goes wrong it's easy to get service.

Now I'm a bit torn about speakers! I'd have to say I listen to music much more than watching movies I guess but unless I'm working on my own music then it's usually more passive listening. When I'm watching movies they have my full attention all the way through. Basically I consider my interests split 55/45 toward music with time spent vs. actively interested.

I'm not sure if I should go with the 422 LR, C and S8 or the 532 LRs and S8 with my first purchase. Here's my new plans for the next year depending on how I start out. I'm going with the Aperion sub rather than another Hopstretch because besides their good rep I want to be able to upgrade in a year minus the original cost.

Now: 422-LRCs and S8 = $600

6 months: 532-LRs and 533-VAC = $640 - $120 for 422-C exchange

1 year: 633-Ts and S-12 = $1600 - $480 for 422-LRs exchange

or

Now: 532-LR and S8 = $640

6 months: 422-LR and 533-VAC = $480

I'll end up with the same money and system in a year either way with the 633-Ts for front L & R, the 533-VAC, 532-LRs for surround, and the S-12 sub (or whatever equivalent new stuff they may come out with in that time). I really wish I could just wait and save up the money for that system instead of exchanging stuff but with me returning my HTiB I will be completely without a stereo!

Do those sound like good plans? Is the final system I have picked out a good match? I'll definitely talk to the Aperion folks about it but if any of you here have any more opinions I would greatly appreciate hearing it! This is all very exciting but because of my lack of knowledge I do worry about making the wrong choice when spending this much money.

If it helps at all, this is my current living room:

Looks smaller than it is there because the couch is HUGE but you can see all the measurements. Basically 14' x 19' x 8' tall. I'm in the process of redoing it right now, the couch is brand new but everything else is being replaced. The TV and components will stay where they are but in a new, less wide stand. Where the computer desk is now will be a new recliner. And I'll be getting new shelving for books, CDs, and DVDs since I have no shelving at all for books now (200 or so books sitting around in stacks) and I've run out of room for DVDs and CDs. Not quite sure where that's gonna go yet but probably right next to the TV. I hope that helps.

#454 ·
I'm going to commit guy heresy and suggest you don't really need to go down the upgrade path at all in that room. I have my TV system in a similar space and, to me, the 633s would be complete overkill. The only reason I went with the smaller 533 towers over the 532 bookshelves is that I have small kids and can't have heavy monitors up on tippable stands.

I'd get the 532s and stick with them. Add your sub, center and sats as you can afford to. The Aperion upgrade program is cool, but there is fine print. It doesn't apply to subs (so you'll probably want to save up for at least an S-10) and you do have to pay shipping on the exchanges -- that could be a couple of hundred bucks on a pair of heavy towers.

PS: Mind telling me what you used to lay out that floor plan? I'd like to do a similar plan of my basement theater project.

#455 ·
I'm with Hopstretch on this one. Although not 100%.

I'd definitely start with the 532s up front. Those sound amazing. I do agree that you need to decide on the sub right away. I'd lean towards the 10 but I don't think you'd be terribly disappointed in the 8 either -- especially given your higher music preference over movies.

I also agree that if children are involved I'd do the 533s over the 532s. Once you throw in stands the price difference goes down.

A couple more things to consider:

1) You're going to get some nasty sound problems with the speakers in the corners like that. I'd definitely investigate investing in some sound treatment panels to go next to them on the wall.

2) It's amazing the sound quality (for movies) you can get with 2 channel PCM. I didn't have my PS3 setup correctly (Blu-ray) and it was outputting 2 channel PCM to my 6.1 system (I have the 633Ts) and I thought all the surrounds were on -- very immersive. My point I'm trying to make is that you may want to simply skip the multi channel stuff and go straight 2 channel and spend some extra cash on a better receiver. The Onkyo 805 is fantastic and you can get it in silver at Amazon (brand new) for $699 I believe.

Good luck!

Mike

#456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænima /forum/post/12716798

Thanks a lot Hopstretch and Wryker, greatly appreciated. I can't afford any more for the receiver Wryker as I'm already pushing my budget. The Onkyo 605 I can get on sale for $450 right now at Circuit City with a 3 year extended warranty for $20. I see a few slightly better deals online but I'd rather get it local where if anything goes wrong it's easy to get service.

Now I'm a bit torn about speakers! I'd have to say I listen to music much more than watching movies I guess but unless I'm working on my own music then it's usually more passive listening. When I'm watching movies they have my full attention all the way through. Basically I consider my interests split 55/45 toward music with time spent vs. actively interested.

I'm not sure if I should go with the 422 LR, C and S8 or the 532 LRs and S8 with my first purchase. Here's my new plans for the next year depending on how I start out. I'm going with the Aperion sub rather than another Hopstretch because besides their good rep I want to be able to upgrade in a year minus the original cost.

Now: 422-LRCs and S8 = $600

6 months: 532-LRs and 533-VAC = $640 - $120 for 422-C exchange

or

Now: 532-LR and S8 = $640

6 months: 422-LR and 533-VAC = $480

I'll end up with the same money and system in a year either way with the 633-Ts for front L & R, the 533-VAC, 532-LRs for surround, and the S-12 sub (or whatever equivalent new stuff they may come out with in that time). I really wish I could just wait and save up the money for that system instead of exchanging stuff but with me returning my HTiB I will be completely without a stereo!

Do those sound like good plans? Is the final system I have picked out a good match? I'll definitely talk to the Aperion folks about it but if any of you here have any more opinions I would greatly appreciate hearing it! This is all very exciting but because of my lack of knowledge I do worry about making the wrong choice when spending this much money.

If it helps at all, this is my current living room:

Looks smaller than it is there because the couch is HUGE but you can see all the measurements. Basically 14' x 19' x 8' tall. I'm in the process of redoing it right now, the couch is brand new but everything else is being replaced. The TV and components will stay where they are but in a new, less wide stand. Where the computer desk is now will be a new recliner. And I'll be getting new shelving for books, CDs, and DVDs since I have no shelving at all for books now (200 or so books sitting around in stacks) and I've run out of room for DVDs and CDs. Not quite sure where that's gonna go yet but probably right next to the TV. I hope that helps.

Nice layout. My first impression is that the towers may be overkill specifically if your budget is a little tight and you cannot swing them up front. Since you mention that music is your priority I would start out with the 532's and keep them up front. Add 432's for the surrounds later on.

Get the best performing sub you can afford up front, or wait a year and add the subwoofer when your budget allows. If you are using bookshelves the subwoofer is critical and you do have a bit of volume in that room. If you want the finish on the subwoofer and speakers to match sticking with an Aperion sub is ok. If you are flexible take a look at the subwoofer thread (this one specifically has some great comparisons - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...36#post9164136 . Currently there are many fine ID subwoofer choices and I would not limit them to just Aperion.

Looking at your layout I have a couple of quick suggestions - I would try to move the bookshelves in from the corners specifically up front (unless you are just showing them in the corners for reference purposes only). This will make a huge improvement in imaging and SQ. I would also plan on adding some sound treatments to your space. You have a lot of glass and some treatments will be the single largest investment you can make to get the most from those 532's for music and movies.

Good luck, you are on the right track.

JD

#460 ·
Thanks again everyone! I think what I'll do is get the 532 LRs and a slightly higher end Onkyo receiver up-front. Get the S-10 sub and the 533 VAC in about 4 months, and then later get the 533-Ts up front and move the 532s to surround. Sound good? I really want the sub to match the rest as long as it's still great quality.

I used the floorplanner (dot) com website (can't post links 'til after this, my third post) to layout the room (and soon my whole house) since it's good and free. Had to use Photoshop to draw the big triangle ottoman though because of it's odd shape. It's a great site, you guys should enjoy it

I'll finish figuring everything out and order my new setup in the next couple days after I talk to the aperion guys!

[Edit] Just changed my mind again, I think I'm going to stick with the 605 receiver as the jump up to the 705 is $220 and 805 is $360. Unless I'm missing something I don't see that much of an advantage? 1 more hdmi but I don't need it and when I do I can just get a hub. Volume knob light would be really nice for looks but also more lighting means more distraction from movies. Better remote but I use a Harmony. Not sure how much difference the Audessey Multi-EQ will make. Of course there's more power but I only rarely listen to music that loud. Unless the Audessey feature is that much better or there's something I'm missing I don't think I can afford it and would rather get the sub right away. [/Edit]

#462 ·

Thanks again everyone! I think what I'll do is get the 532 LRs and a slightly higher end Onkyo receiver up-front. Get the S-10 sub and the 533 VAC in about 4 months, and then later get the 533-Ts up front and move the 532s to surround. Sound good? I really want the sub to match the rest as long as it's still great quality.

That's the same speaker package I put together for some friends of mine. It sounds great and they are very happy with it. I think you will be very happy with this set up.

Ray

#461 ·
I think you're on the right track now. That'll be a solid system.

PS: I bought a 705 a month or so ago at Black Friday prices and it's a nice piece. The Audessey EQ works very well. As it happens, I've decided to trade up to an A/V with Reon video processing, so it'll be looking for a good home shortly. PM me if you want to go the used route.

#463 ·
If you are in a rush it won't help but I bought a refurbished Onkyo 605 from shoponkyo dot com for $325. They don't have it listed now but the list is updated daily. You are buying direct from the manufacturer which made me feel more secure about buying something that had been probably repaired.

Len

#464 ·
Hey all,

Finally doing the whole home theater thing. I have all the components except speakers. I've done a lot of research and I've settled on the Aperion speakers. I'll be hooking them to a Denon 3808CI receiver.

I'm concerned about the setup of my living room, as it's not necessarily small, but limited by a few design issues:

The room is roughly 13 feet deep by 15 feet wide, opening to a kichen and dining room of roughly the same dimensions (the rooms are "separated" by a couch). At the right side of the room, the whole wall is occupied by a glass side door (to the porch).

Because of the alcove doorway to the master bed room and the fireplace, the TV (a Samsung LN-T4665F LCD) must sit in the right corner of the room, in a small alcove 71" wide by 9" deep. As you can understand, this is quite limiting for speaker placement.

I'm planning on getting the 532-VAC Center, 532s on stands for the L/Rs, 422s for surrounds, and the S-10 sub. The surrounds will be on top of some IKEA bookcases angled at the couch. The TV is angled towards the couch, as will be the front L/R speakers. This seems like an unbalanced speaker setup, but I think it's my only option. Advice? Thanks!

#467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 /forum/post/12747196

My 532 Cinnema set is due to arrive on Friday, I can't wait... the new 805 needs a dancing partner!!!

I ordered the 532 Cinema HD, and on my emailed receipt it says 2 of the 532LR's are on back order, did you have that as well? i got black, and i ordered on monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton /forum/post/12715623

My room is 13x15. I have 532LR's for fronts and surrounds. My center is the 533VAC, and the lows are handled by the S-10. If you wanted to save some money you could probably go with 4 Series for your surrounds. The S-10 will really rock your room out. In some scenes my apartment gets to shaking and rattling.

The best thing you can do is use the Live Chat on Aperion's site. They're more than happy to help you out based on your budget, space, listening needs, etc.

How do you like setup? Also how did you mount your set up? did you use speaker stands, or wall mounts (what kind did you use i.e. links)

Thanks,

-J

#471 ·
Alright just ordered a 533-PT Intimus Cinema HD set. Hopefully it's everything I'm looking for...too bad they won't be able to ship the surrounds until next week though, but I was able to score the towers A-stock. So other than an electronic stud finder/laser level, tape measure, and a electric drill/screw gun. What tools do I need to install my surround speakers on the wall? specific type of screws? type of wall anchors? I live in an apartment so I generally do not make holes in my walls ...except for that one "accident"

~G

#473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 /forum/post/12751449

No wall mounts, I plan on using the stands. If they do now work well I might drill away and wall mount them. I think they have the same retrun policy on the stands as they do the speakers... at least for the first 30 days, right?

I dont know about the stands, you would have to check with them. I havent decided on how im going to set these up. I have a limited amount of space, so for the surrounds the wall mount would be best. i will see.

#474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristo7905 /forum/post/12751649

I dont know about the stands, you would have to check with them. I havent decided on how im going to set these up. I have a limited amount of space, so for the surrounds the wall mount would be best. i will see.

People, be sure you're talking about the SAME surrounds. There are different mods. There are ones that are ONLY wall mountable and these are the ones on B/O until the 21st (black ones - i'm in that same boat while the cherry are available 1/14) - these are the 534SS - the others (422, 532, 632) are wall or stand 'mountable'. The 534's come with installation instructions but if you're interested in how you're going to mount them you can download the installation sheet from this page, click "resources" tab, and download.:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...21,30,111.aspx

#475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker /forum/post/12751819

People, be sure you're talking about the SAME surrounds. There are different mods. There are ones that are ONLY wall mountable and these are the ones on B/O until the 21st (black ones - i'm in that same boat while the cherry are available 1/14) - these are the 534SS - the others (422, 532, 632) are wall or stand 'mountable'. The 534's come with installation instructions but if you're interested in how you're going to mount them you can download the installation sheet from this page, click "resources" tab, and download.:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...21,30,111.aspx

i talked to a rep today, and he informed me that it said backordered, but it shipped after the main shippement. So i will getting all components. i am refering to the 532 LR's, i'll check out the sheet for the 532 on the website..

Thanks,

J

#477 ·
Well, I had yet another change of heart and decided to swap out the 422s I bought as wall-mounted surrounds for a pair of 532s and matching stands. Saves on setup hassle and I'm going to go ahead and delude myself that there may even be some minutely tangible gain from theoretically better timbral matching.

As usual, Aperion were a pleasure to deal with. Quoted me a very fair price for return shipping (I am well out of the 30-day return window) and then, as far as I can tell, didn't actually charge me for it.

AAA+++wouldbuyfromthisselleragain.

#478 ·
Hello,

After reading numerous reviews and posts, I have decided to go with the Aperions for my dedicated HT. I have a 16X20 room. On one side, where the surround speakers need to go, the wall is a half wall. I could mount a speaker where the ceiling (8ft ceiling) meets the wall, as there is 12 inches of "wall" before it opens up. I was thinking of going with the 534-SS. Would this speaker work mounted this high up and maybe aimed toward the seating area? Can I mount from the ceiling? I'm assuming if I put that side near the ceiling, I should mount the other side the same.

Then I was going to use the satellite 422s hanging from the ceiling as the rears. (7.1).

Fronts and center are 633-T, 634VAC, and s-10 sub

How does this sound?..no pun intended :)