AVS Forum banner

Traverse City, MI - HDTV

Tags
ant-751
238K views 2K replies 113 participants last post by  dek8ss 
#1 ·
Anyone know any info about WCMU or it's satellite stations' digital plans? Searching around, I've found that they plan to use WGTU's tower near Kalkaska, but no date through Antennnaweb on when it will be operational. Local stations are pretty bleak here, but should be better when WGTU signs on in March.

#706 ·
Is anyone else having problems with the HD feeds of WPBN and WWTV on Charter? They've both been an unwatchable mess on my Motorola box, and not coming in at all on my father's Cable Card at his house since Tuesday. The subchannels of WPBN are both messed up too. Not that they were much to look at before.

#708 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse /forum/post/12477982

Is anyone else having problems with the HD feeds of WPBN and WWTV on Charter? They've both been an unwatchable mess on my Motorola box, and not coming in at all on my father's Cable Card at his house since Tuesday. The subchannels of WPBN are both messed up too. Not that they were much to look at before.

I watched both last night via a QAM tuner and they looked fine.... The sub channels are another matter. I think they are a waste of bandwidth

#709 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 /forum/post/12474443

Supposed to be added on the 18th along with History HD,

and Versus/Golf HD.

Dont expect to see much HD on A&E or History though. Be ready for a whole lot of nasty SD stretchovision. These 2 channels show very little HD.

Not true A&E shows almost all HD during prime time. History channel has a little less but I would not say very little.

#711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpops7 /forum/post/12494643

Not true A&E shows almost all HD during prime time. History channel has a little less but I would not say very little.

I guess it depends on ones definition of very little. By looking at the guide it looks like very little to me. There hasnt been one show in HD all day on either channel so far.

Personally I would rather see them add the closer to fulltime HD channels like Food HD, HGTVHD, or even more premium HD movie channels.

Any efforts are appreciated though. Its actually nice to see they are at least trying.

#712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 /forum/post/12524644

I guess it depends on ones definition of very little. By looking at the guide it looks like very little to me. There hasnt been one show in HD all day on either channel so far.

Personally I would rather see them add the closer to fulltime HD channels like Food HD, HGTVHD, or even more premium HD movie channels.

Any efforts are appreciated though. Its actually nice to see they are at least trying.

I think cost, bandwith and content are the limiting factor in a networks ability to offer hd programing. As more and more content is produced in hd and is cheaper to make it will show up. Just like when color programing started(even if I,m not old enough to remember) It started out mostly in prime time and slowly (when the local stations could afford the equipment) it became the standard.

#713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawpops7 /forum/post/12528062

I think cost, bandwith and content are the limiting factor in a networks ability to offer hd programing. As more and more content is produced in hd and is cheaper to make it will show up. Just like when color programing started(even if I,m not old enough to remember) It started out mostly in prime time and slowly (when the local stations could afford the equipment) it became the standard.

Yes, Im sure these channels will get better, and by the sounds of things Charter will be adding plenty more HD in 2008. Things are definitely looking up!

Also, upon closer examination of the guide tonight, it appears there is a little more than just prime time HD being shown on those 2 channels. Looks like its maybe one third HD on those channels.

Not that Ill ever watch CSI reruns or Sopranos edited, but still. History does appear to have some HD programming Ill be interested in.

#714 ·
Hey everyone... new forum member here and I think it's awesome that TC has it's own discussion thread!

I finally took the plunge into the HD realm and am so far loving it, though I certainly wish there were more than 20 HD channels in the market up here... Any word on when Charter might make a few more channels available?

Also... I have noticed that HBO HD OnDemand and Cinemax HD OnDemand dropped off the menu on my Moxi DVR, but are still listed (though empty) on my other non-DVR cablebox. Is Charter experimenting with these options or is something else going on?

Oh yeah.... HD RULES! :)

Bill

#717 ·
Dish Network's booth at CES has a poster announcing 100 local HD markets in 2008. Traverse City is one of the markets.

#718 ·
Good news as I'm having a very hard time getting a DVR from Charter, how does Dish Networks HD look? are there alot of artifacts? also for Charter customers I was in yesterday trying to get a DVR and I guess the reason why having a hard time is that they are setting up for all digital simulcast of analog channels, I checked my QAM tuner and you can now get the locals in Digital if that matters to anyone, the guy told me that expanded basic should be up this week maybe, I don't know if our QAM tuner will get these or not though, can only hope. The reason they gave me is the analog shut off law, but that law doesn't cover cable, but oh well guess its a good reason to switch to all digital soon.

#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 /forum/post/12766456

Hey guffy1, did I see on another forum you got a Sony Blu Ray player? I got one coming today, if yes hows it doing compared to HD DVD?

Yes, I just got the Sony 300 series Blu Ray. $269 for an open box with 5 free Blu Rays in store, and 5 free Blu Rays via mail. What a deal!

I like the Blu Ray player alot, but to me none of the Blu Ray titles Ive seen can compare videowise to the best HD DVD's. And the HD DVD player is a waaaay better upconverter.

Blu Ray is great though, dont get me wrong. And they are whooping the crap out of HD DVD as far as content goes, especially in the area of new releases.

To me as far as quality and functionality goes HD DVD is the easy winner. To bad they didnt come up with a catchy name like Blu Ray. Blu Ray won on the basis of their name as far as Im concerned. Mainstream America eats that crap up. You have a cooler name? You win!

#723 ·
I got the same one, for same price too off of the internet, but I only got Spiderman 3 with mine, I can get 5 free ones in the mail too. I have the first generation Toshiba HD DVD player also, I'm finding the Sony doing a little better job for SD DVDs, also my Toshibas fan is really loud, still going to keep it till I guess HD DVD format dies, if it does, if not oh well got lots of HD movies to watch.

#724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 /forum/post/12779490

I got the same one, for same price too off of the internet, but I only got Spiderman 3 with mine, I can get 5 free ones in the mail too. I have the first generation Toshiba HD DVD player also, I'm finding the Sony doing a little better job for SD DVDs, also my Toshibas fan is really loud, still going to keep it till I guess HD DVD format dies, if it does, if not oh well got lots of HD movies to watch.

Yes, my fan is loud on my first gen Toshiba as well..Im suprised to hear you like the Sony better for SD though. I guess maybe I need to check out a few more SD titles before I declare the Toshiba as the best upconverter. The 2 SD titles I did view on the Sony were older films. Maybe Ill check out the same 2 titles on the Toshiba tonight and see what I think.

#726 ·
Simultrans is now active in Traverse City. The digital transmission looks better, as hoped. Should be a big help with those OOT Red Wing games not broadcast on FSNHD

I put this question on BBR, but I'll ask here also. I just picked up a DCH3200 and it shows the Dolby Digital logo on the info bar for the former analog channels, now being broadcast digitally. However, the DCT6416 and DCT6200 do not show the DD logo, despite channel status clearly indicating the digital tuner now being used. Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.