AVS Forum banner

NEW OFFICIAL - Special buys, Discounts and deals thread. All Deals Go here!

1M views 8K replies 1K participants last post by  cobolisdead 
#1 ·
Something weird happened.... [larry]

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzgte /forum/post/12818000

made my purchases

anyone else?

Yup... 'fraid so... I've got a problem... I'm addicted to HD-DVD.

My picks:

1 "New Orleans Concert - The Music Of America's Soul [HD DVD & DVD Combo]"

Various Artists; HD DVD; $17.49

Sold by: Amazon.com

1 "Antarctica Dreaming (HD DVD + DVD Combo Disc) By HDScape"

HDScape; HD DVD; $13.49

1 "A Musicares Person of the Year Tribute Honoring James Taylor"

James Taylor; HD DVD; $10.99

1 "The Deer Hunter [HD DVD]"

Robert De Niro; HD DVD; $14.99

1 "Midnight Run [HD DVD]"

John Ashton; HD DVD; $14.99

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 /forum/post/12816261

Warner Home Video = Buyer Beware. Check the thread about it, it's about 820 posts long. Just a word of warning to any who think about it.

All I can say is I've received everything I've ever ordered from them -- unless its schedule slid resulting in cancellation. Just because they had issues resulting from their system change back in August/September doesn't mean they are a permanent problem. The only caveat I would mention would be don't order from Warner if you HAVE to have the titles soon. You may well get them within a week or so, but it could take much longer. Impatient people should order from some other supplier!

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzgte /forum/post/12818000

made my purchases

anyone else?

Guys! PLEASE don't make this a conversation thread! The purpose is to identify and share deals. It's not to share purchase results, degrees of satisfaction, content of purchases, techniques for stealing from retailers, or general exuberance. Post your conversation threads elsewhere. the purpose of this thread is very specifically the sharing of deals! PLEASE!

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/12817267

+1

Recommended only for those with the patience of Job.

Since I do feel like reading over 800+ posts, what is the average time for an order of already released product to arrive? I noticed a lot of pre-orders that ended up taking well beyond the release date to arrive, as well as order cancellations that show up months later in the mail.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad63 /forum/post/12818255

Current Best Deal on Star Trek Season One?

Thanks

used ones on amazon from $89.99-$106.78. Warehouse_deals is an amazon returned shop, I've had some good bargains from them.
Quote:
Warehouse Deals is an Amazon.com subsidiary. We offer overstock, returns, and slightly damaged merchandise at reduced prices with the benefits of Amazon.com fulfillment and customer service.

New $132.95 amazon & DeepDiscount.com $ 132.85, I got mine for $106 when DeepDiscount had their 20% off sale in November.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad63 /forum/post/12818255

Current Best Deal on Star Trek Season One?

Thanks

Do what I did for BSG:S1 and Ultimate Matrix.

Use Target.com as a price match for Best Buy. Did it for both of the above and saved $40. Just print out the webpage and take it in to the Best Buy store.

http://www.target.com/dp/B000VDDDY6/...ek%20hd&page=1

Should save you $47.04 on Star Trek (Best Buy lists it for $179.99, Target.com for $132.95).

BTW, in-store buying for BSG:S1 is the only way to go. I bought the set, and three of the discs were scratched (and I'm pretty sure it's the manufacturing process, not the packaging). Best Buy allowed me to open another BSG package and replace the scratched discs with ones from the new set.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfn /forum/post/12819606

Use Target.com as a price match for Best Buy. Did it for both of the above and saved $40. Just print out the webpage and take it in to the Best Buy store.

Wow, I never thought to do this. Since Target.com is essentially Amazon.com for DVDs, you can buy at Amazon prices and still earn RewardZone points at Best Buy. Pretty sweet.

#37 ·
Amazon UK currently has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going for certain HD DVDs. For folks here in the US, this could be a good opportunity to import "The Island" and "The Prestige." Not sure if any other import exclusives are on the list -- I didn't look that closely.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmack /forum/post/12820801

Amazon UK currently has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going for certain HD DVDs. For folks here in the US, this could be a good opportunity to import "The Island" and "The Prestige." Not sure if any other import exclusives are on the list -- I didn't look that closely.

Keep in mind the conversion rate is basically £1 = $2.

So $80 + shipping for 3 movies isn't that great unless you really want those imports not available here in the US or you actually live in the UK.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT-34WX15 /forum/post/0

No kidding, huh! Amazing is true. Especially considering the robbery that is going on at BB and FS here in Canada!

My friend had his delivered about a week ago - $7.99 flat rate shipping. We went to Best Buy and it was a nightmare because all and all about $250-300 came off the price of 20 HD DVDs with the 10% price beat.

What they DID do to us was charge us $7.99 "shipping" after all discounts because thats what they said SIGELECTRONICS was charging - even though they were 20 minutes away!We fought with the manager to no avail. I decided to still buy because we had already spent an hour there and were still ahead of the SIG prices with the 10% discount and the $7.99 charge.

My suggestion is start with 1 or 2 HD DVDs. Don't be greedy. They will usually let that go through no problem and that way you can avoid the fight with them and the 8 dollar BS tack on.

So I stopped by Best Buy over at the Eaton Centre today and picked up Bourne Ultimatum and Children of Men, for 20.75 each! They were selling them for the ridiculous price of $39.99 each and I had no trouble getting SIG 's $22.49 price matched and beat by 10%, by bringing in a printout of the product page for each disc.

Thanks for letting us know about this crazy deal, Jay! It's nice that Canadians can finally start getting some great pricing on discs, instead of just watching our southern neighbours have all the fun

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfn /forum/post/12819606

http://www.target.com/dp/B000VDDDY6/...ek%20hd&page=1

Should save you $47.04 on Star Trek (Best Buy lists it for $179.99, Target.com for $132.95).

BTW, in-store buying for BSG:S1 is the only way to go. I bought the set, and three of the discs were scratched (and I'm pretty sure it's the manufacturing process, not the packaging). Best Buy allowed me to open another BSG package and replace the scratched discs with ones from the new set.

Ehh Target stores don't match the prices of their website (at least according to the policy stated on the website), so I don't think technically Best Buy has to match the Target.com price. However, who knows how many people that work at Best Buy know this...

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyxtc /forum/post/12821597

What the heck, I get sick and can't deal w/ the internet for a week and my existing deals thread gets nixed? Painful.

With all sincerity, are you feeling better?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyxtc /forum/post/12821597

What the heck, I get sick and can't deal w/ the internet for a week and my existing deals thread gets nixed? Painful.

Much appreciation for all your hard work was expressed. And, consternation about the decision to start a new thread. Thank you for all your hard work.

I hope you are feeling better.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman0 /forum/post/12814832

JayCT-34WX15

thanks again for the post! I just went to Sigelectronics. It was farther then I thought and I missed the turn off. But, when I got there it was worth it. They have sold out of many of the 'big titles' but I still went a bit overboard and loaded up buying 10 movies (6 were HD DVD's, 4 were blu) and it worked out to payng 16.00 a movie tax included. It was well worth the trip. If they replenish some of the better titles they have I will make a bulk order from them. It is nice to know that there is a place in Canada that we can by HD for cheap.

No problem! Prices are amazing! Glad you were still able to find some titles you wanted.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon /forum/post/12821565

Keep in mind the conversion rate is basically £1 = $2.

So $80 + shipping for 3 movies isn't that great unless you really want those imports not available here in the US or you actually live in the UK.

Yeah, I got a mild surprise after ordering from Amazon.uk, and then realized that the prices were in pounds, not euro's. d'ohhh.

I picked up Starship Troopers, The Rock & The Island, and mailed to Canada, Canada Post (I think it was them) hit me for $10 extra on delivery.

p.

#48 ·
I don't know why the we have the amazon offer for the players on here.. there is another thread for that.

There is a better offer for that anyway

Value Electronics.

HD-A3 129 shipped with 7 movies

or 149 shipped with 9 movies

there are more deals on the hd-a30 and 35 as well.

http://www.*********************/avstc.htm

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/12829171

I don't know why the we have the amazon offer for the players on here.. there is another thread for that.

There is a better offer for that anyway

Value Electronics.

HD-A3 129 shipped with 7 movies

or 149 shipped with 9 movies

there are more deals on the hd-a30 and 35 as well.

http://www.*********************/avstc.htm

tempting offer if you don't qualify for the 5 mail in rebate. Or even if you
do there is 2 free movies worth at least $40

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor /forum/post/12829495

tempting offer if you don't qualify for the 5 mail in rebate. Or even if you
do there is 2 free movies worth at least $40

5 of the movies are the rebate. it is the same as amazon (a little less) and it adds 2 more movies for $20... your choice.

The big thing is it free shipping and may be tax free depending where you live (they are in NY).

Robert is a long time member here at AVS and this is his store. He gives specials for AVS members at Value Electronics.

I just picked up one. I received in 2 days via fedex... free fedex shipping... that is impressive. The website said UPS ground but I guess I got a free upgrade.

They have basically the same pricing on the others upgraded units as well. They also have specials on the onkyo HD DVD and Lg dual... but the real special is the Toshiba right now. I kinda felt good buying from a smaller store two. You can choose 2 movies from their list of 400. They need to be 21.99 or less on their list which is about 80-85% of them. I got Dune and 2001.

Hey Pooper, it might be a good idea to keep all the specials entered in that first spot and just update as people add new specials. It can be a pain to page through 8 pages when most of it is just chat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.