AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - AT&T

40K views 227 replies 62 participants last post by  kevin j 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Welcome to the world of AT&T U-Verse. I one am excited to get this service once it comes online in the chicago area. Right now im more than willing to dump the dish for U-Verse. So lets open up the discussion with who has it and what areas and channels are you getting. What is the quality of the HD channels. Anyone have a time frame for chicago area launches? I know according to http://www.uverseusers.com/ there are many nodes in the chicago area but none are live yet. Mind you this is Unoffical. The map is attached below. My personal thoughts is Att isnt working fast enough to get uverse down here and in the chicago area. If its the citys, i know that there are plenty of citys wanting uverse and mine is one of them.

See less See more
#27 ·
I've had several VRAD's in the vicinity of my house in Crystal Lake for 4 months now. I think I pass 4 on the way home from the train.

#29 ·
I can confirm a hard launch date of 1/28 across metro Chicago on the Illinois side, even though some areas won't be fully upgraded. They hope that those areas won't have reception problems, but those that do will be upgraded. It will be as far west as Aurora/Lake in the Hills...almost everyone east of route 47.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maifimd /forum/post/12590062

How do you identify a VRAD?

I see a new box ~ a block away from me in Oakwood Hills on Silver Lake & Woodland.

They're tan in color with orange ID on the front. Usually surrounded by some new landscaping. Probably stands 4' tall and 2' wide.

#32 ·
I'll have to check out over by my sister's. They're in that newer subdivision across from Veterans Acres. It's very wide open, so if there are any there, you'll surely notice them.

I haven't noticed any around me right on the far-western C.L./Cary border yet (near Sands and Three Oaks).

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maifimd /forum/post/12868720

OK, I hiked up the block and snapped a picture of the new ATT box installed last fall. Interesting that it was obviously running with a noticeable fan noise...

So, am I going to see an offer I can't refuse for FIOS/U-verse?

Where are you? Just saw an Comcast ad on ESPN during the Il/Purdue game about the big, ugly boxes. Supoosed to be funny, it really wasn't.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/12873253

But supposedly they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as picture quality goes, with FIOS being near the top (after OTA), and U-verse being, well - at the other end.

Yeah, I heard a few good things about FIOS. One great thing is that they do not compress any of their HD channels where most other providers (if not, then all) compress their channels.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 /forum/post/12868744

Where are you? Just saw an Comcast ad on ESPN during the Il/Purdue game about the big, ugly boxes. Supoosed to be funny, it really wasn't.

They don't look too bad out by me, but in my old neighborhood they look a little out of place.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk /forum/post/12882340

They don't look too bad out by me, but in my old neighborhood they look a little out of place.

Hmmm. I haven't seen any on my side of town yet. But then again, I haven't really looked that hard. Haven't been traipsing around town too much since Xmas, with this weather. Just straight up and down the main drag for groceries. I'll have to drive around the neighborhoods and look next time I go out to the stores.

I wish they'd get the service going. I can't stand Dish anymore (especially their CSR's - just had another exasperating experience with one Saturday), and I heard that they will be carrying this one channel that I watch a lot that only Dish has. Since Dish is the only one carrying it, I wonder if they're getting their signal from them, since they're already partnered with them. Would kinda make sense, although I can't see how they would charge any less then.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/12885464

Hmmm. I haven't seen any on my side of town yet. But then again, I haven't really looked that hard. Haven't been traipsing around town too much since Xmas, with this weather. Just straight up and down the main drag for groceries. I'll have to drive around the neighborhoods and look next time I go out to the stores.

I wish they'd get the service going. I can't stand Dish anymore (especially their CSR's - just had another exasperating experience with one Saturday), and I heard that they will be carrying this one channel that I watch a lot that only Dish has. Since Dish is the only one carrying it, I wonder if they're getting their signal from them, since they're already partnered with them. Would kinda make sense, although I can't see how they would charge any less then.

I talked to the folks at the AT&T store on Randall and they confirmed the Jan 28th date for launch but they won't know the areas until it gets closer and they get material from AT&T. I guess the only store with a demo is the Aurora/Oswego area.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk /forum/post/12893268

I talked to the folks at the AT&T store on Randall and they confirmed the Jan 28th date for launch but they won't know the areas until it gets closer and they get material from AT&T. I guess the only store with a demo is the Aurora/Oswego area.

Ummm, isn't 6 days to go close enough?

#49 ·
just checked and it is available by me up in Hainesville now. looked at the package but the one thing that is huge for me is the lack, from what i can see, of Comcast Sportsnet HD. No white sox in HD, no deal. I am also not liking the record only 1 HD at once. From how it reads it appears as if you are recording a HD channel you have to then watch a SD channel. seems odd.

"* One HD and three standard-definition (SD) channels, or four SD channels, can be recorded or viewed simultaneously."

obvious positives is the price though. i can get less channels and an HD package for a good price. I only watch HD so i could care less about most non-HD channels.

#50 ·
Nothing here in Manteno, Att hates us for some reason. The only hope is that home wood area gets this soon, so comcast can compete. Im hoping that Uverse raise there speeds so comcast can raise theirs. The reason why I hope homewood gets it is because our cable down here comes from the home wood office.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlanderbz /forum/post/12954939

just checked and it is available by me up in Hainesville now. looked at the package but the one thing that is huge for me is the lack, from what i can see, of Comcast Sportsnet HD. No white sox in HD, no deal. I am also not liking the record only 1 HD at once. From how it reads it appears as if you are recording a HD channel you have to then watch a SD channel. seems odd.

"* One HD and three standard-definition (SD) channels, or four SD channels, can be recorded or viewed simultaneously."

obvious positives is the price though. i can get less channels and an HD package for a good price. I only watch HD so i could care less about most non-HD channels.

These are the factors that will prevent me from actually signing up for this. But Comcast doesn't need to know this & I will see if Comcast is wiiling to match U-Verse's rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.