AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - AT&T

40K views 227 replies 62 participants last post by  kevin j 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Welcome to the world of AT&T U-Verse. I one am excited to get this service once it comes online in the chicago area. Right now im more than willing to dump the dish for U-Verse. So lets open up the discussion with who has it and what areas and channels are you getting. What is the quality of the HD channels. Anyone have a time frame for chicago area launches? I know according to http://www.uverseusers.com/ there are many nodes in the chicago area but none are live yet. Mind you this is Unoffical. The map is attached below. My personal thoughts is Att isnt working fast enough to get uverse down here and in the chicago area. If its the citys, i know that there are plenty of citys wanting uverse and mine is one of them.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 /forum/post/12955962

These are the factors that will prevent me from actually signing up for this. But Comcast doesn't need to know this & I will see if Comcast is wiiling to match U-Verse's rates.

Same here, I am very interested in u-verse but they need to get 3 things going first; multi HD feeds, multi-DVR, Comcast Sportsnet HD. If these come through I will be very interested. If they get whole house DVR going that would be an added bonus.

as for now since my 6 month promo ended with comcast last month I will be calling to negotiate my new promo as I always do.

I will keep an eye on this thread as I am very interested.

thanks

#53 ·
Available in Crystal Lake!! Decent HD lineup. Don't think I'm switching anytime soon.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk /forum/post/12956734

Available in Crystal Lake!! Decent HD lineup. Don't think I'm switching anytime soon.

Do you have a link to the page with our lineups and prices (also w/bundles)? I can't seem to get to it. When I put in our zip, it brings up "u-verse" as a choice, but then when I click on "learn more", I only get Dish info. I don't want no stinkin' Dish - I already have it.

#56 ·
Just signed up. Installed scheduled for next Wednesday. Says the install could take 6 - 8 hours. Yikes!!

#57 ·
For the channel line-up you can check here .

#58 ·
#62 ·
Their website is screwed up. I went to check availability and it asks me for my account info login. I am wondering if U-verse is available in the 60563 zip code. Can anyone here send me a direct link to the channel lineup including HD programming and let me know if its available in the 60563 zip code?

#64 ·
^ Thanks. I checked it out my my zip code and the channel lineup is impressive from an HD standpoint. They have the best HD service next to what DirecTV offers it seems like. Unfortunately, I don't think they offer service in my zip code (60563), which is odd because it returned the channels available for my zip code.

#65 ·
To check for availability in your area. Go HERE and click on AVAILABILITY on the right side of the screen.

#66 ·
Not available in Romeoville

#67 ·
Article in local Pioneer Press article had this list of communities that have service in at least part of the town available:

Who's getting U-Verse first

AT&T is offering U-Verse in parts of the following communities, as well as some unincorporated parts of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties:

Addison

Algonquin

Alsip

Arlington Heights

Bannockburn

Barrington Hills

Bartlett

Beach Park

Bedford Park

Bellwood

Bensenville

Berkeley

Berwyn

Bloomingdale

Blue Island

Bridgeview

Broadview

Brookfield

Buffalo Grove

Bull Valley

Burbank

Burr Ridge

Calumet Park

Campton Hills

Carol Stream

Carpentersville

Cary

Chicago Ridge

Clarendon Hills

Countryside

Crestwood

Crystal Lake

Darien

Deer Park

Deerfield

Des Plaines

Dixmoor

Dolton

Downers Grove

East Dundee

Elgin

Elk Grove Village

Elmhurst

Elmwood Park Evanston

Forest Park

Forest View

Fox Lake

Fox River Grove

Franklin Park

Geneva

Gilberts

Glencoe

Glendale Heights

Glenview

Golf

Grayslake

Green Oaks

Gurnee

Hainesville

Hanover Park

Harvey

Hawthorn Woods

Hickory Hills

Highland Park

Highwood

Hillside

Hinsdale

Hoffman Estates

Indian Creek

Indian Head Park

Inverness

Island Lake

Itasca

Johnsburg

Justice

Kenilworth

Kildeer

La Grange

La Grange Park

Lake Barrington

Lake Bluff

Lake Forest

Lake In The Hills

Lake Villa

Lake Zurich

Lakemoor

Lakewood Lemont

Libertyville

Lincolnshire

Lincolnwood

Lisle

Lombard

Long Grove

Lyons

Markham

Maywood

McCook

McHenry

Melrose Park

Midlothian

Mount Prospect

Mundelein

North Barrington

North Chicago

North Riverside

Northbrook

Northfield

Northlake

Oak Brook

Oak Forest

Oak Lawn

Oakbrook Terrace

Oakwood Hills

Orland Hills

Orland Park

Palatine

Palos Heights

Palos Hills

Palos Park

Park City

Port Barrington

Posen

Prairie Grove

Prospect Heights

River Forest

River Grove

Riverdale

Riverside

Riverwoods

Robbins Rolling Meadows

Roselle

Rosemont

Round Lake

Round Lake Beach

Round Lake Hts

Round Lake Park

Schaumburg

Schiller Park

Skokie

South Barrington

South Elgin

St. Charles

Stickney

Stone Park

Streamwood

Summit

Third Lake

Tower Lakes

Vernon Hills

Villa Park

Volo

Wadsworth

Wauconda

Waukegan

Wayne

West Chicago

West Dundee

Westchester

Western Springs

Westmont

Wheaton

Wheeling

Willow Springs

Willowbrook

Wilmette

Winnetka

Winthrop Harbor

Wood Dale

Woodridge

Woodstock

Worth

Zion

#68 ·
^ Thanks for that info. I am puzzled to why Naperville does not have it out of all cities. Naperville is one of the biggest suburbs. They could make tons of money here. Maybe they don't have it yet here because its a big area and takes time to get all the lines in and what not.

Does anyone know if its true that with U-Verse you can't watch another HD channel if you are recording on another? If so, thats a huge disadvantage.

#69 ·
OK, i'm hoping that someone who already has U-Verse can give me some help deciding. What i've got right now is Comcast cable and internet. I've got their HD-DVR hooked up to my HDTV in the living room, a TiVo series 2 hooked up in the office w/ a digital box, and basic cable running into the bedroom.

I've called AT&T twice to ask questions and been reading up on U-Verse... Here's my concerns:

1) You can only watch (and/or record) one HD program at a time.

2) AT&T will only allow one DVR per home

3) (and this is a more minor point) AT&T doesn't have Sci-Fi in HD and i'm now really happy to have this from Comcast

So, according to AT&T, 1) will be resolved by the end of March as they increase bandwith (or something) to allow 2 HD feeds at a time. When this happens, i won't be any worse off than i am now.

Also, AT&T says before the end of 2008, they'll have a feature that allows you to share programs to boxes in other rooms from your DVR, so at that time, not having my TiVo in the office won't be an issue.

I'm assuming that since Sci-Fi is from NBC/Universal which is a big company, there's a decent chance that Si-FiHD will be added in the not too distant future.

The good points of switching are:

1) I'll save money

2) From what i hear, SD picture quality is much better than with Comcast

3) AT&T claims that their HD picture is SUPERIOUS to Comcast

4) I can always switch back to Comcast if i don't like it and i can likely get a better deal from Comcast if i switch back.

So, what do you all think? Anyone HAVE U-Verse and want to tell me if i'll be happier with AT&T?

I've had a lot of bad experiences with Comcast and am eager NOT to deal with them anymore. So, any input??

-dave

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt /forum/post/12971947

^ Thanks for that info. I am puzzled to why Naperville does not have it out of all cities. Naperville is one of the biggest suburbs. They could make tons of money here. Maybe they don't have it yet here because its a big area and takes time to get all the lines in and what not.

The Naperville city council fought AT&T good and hard prior to the statewide video franchise being signed. There's a VRAD box on my corner, but I can't get service. Also note that Batavia is also lacking from the service list. I think politics are at work here, at least somewhat.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia /forum/post/12975145

The Naperville city council fought AT&T good and hard prior to the statewide video franchise being signed. There's a VRAD box on my corner, but I can't get service. Also note that Batavia is also lacking from the service list. I think politics are at work here, at least somewhat.

I had a feeling thats what it was. I read an article about this, but it didn't mention Naperville. I guess I will never completely understand TV politics. I would imagine they will be in our area soon, within the next 2-3 months. That is just my guess though.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman87 /forum/post/12971726

Article in local Pioneer Press article had this list of communities that have service in at least part of the town available:

Who's getting U-Verse first

AT&T is offering U-Verse in parts of the following communities, as well as some unincorporated parts of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties:

Addison

Algonquin

Alsip

Arlington Heights

Bannockburn

Barrington Hills

Bartlett

Beach Park

Bedford Park

Bellwood

Bensenville

Berkeley

Berwyn

Bloomingdale

Blue Island

Bridgeview

Broadview

Brookfield

Buffalo Grove

Bull Valley

Burbank

Burr Ridge

Calumet Park

Campton Hills

Carol Stream

Carpentersville

Cary

Chicago Ridge

Clarendon Hills

Countryside

Crestwood

Crystal Lake

Darien

Deer Park

Deerfield

Des Plaines

Dixmoor

Dolton

Downers Grove

East Dundee

Elgin

Elk Grove Village

Elmhurst

Elmwood Park Evanston

Forest Park

Forest View

Fox Lake

Fox River Grove

Franklin Park

Geneva

Gilberts

Glencoe

Glendale Heights

Glenview

Golf

Grayslake

Green Oaks

Gurnee

Hainesville

Hanover Park

Harvey

Hawthorn Woods

Hickory Hills

Highland Park

Highwood

Hillside

Hinsdale

Hoffman Estates

Indian Creek

Indian Head Park

Inverness

Island Lake

Itasca

Johnsburg

Justice

Kenilworth

Kildeer

La Grange

La Grange Park

Lake Barrington

Lake Bluff

Lake Forest

Lake In The Hills

Lake Villa

Lake Zurich

Lakemoor

Lakewood Lemont

Libertyville

Lincolnshire

Lincolnwood

Lisle

Lombard

Long Grove

Lyons

Markham

Maywood

McCook

McHenry

Melrose Park

Midlothian

Mount Prospect

Mundelein

North Barrington

North Chicago

North Riverside

Northbrook

Northfield

Northlake

Oak Brook

Oak Forest

Oak Lawn

Oakbrook Terrace

Oakwood Hills

Orland Hills

Orland Park

Palatine

Palos Heights

Palos Hills

Palos Park

Park City

Port Barrington

Posen

Prairie Grove

Prospect Heights

River Forest

River Grove

Riverdale

Riverside

Riverwoods

Robbins Rolling Meadows

Roselle

Rosemont

Round Lake

Round Lake Beach

Round Lake Hts

Round Lake Park

Schaumburg

Schiller Park

Skokie

South Barrington

South Elgin

St. Charles

Stickney

Stone Park

Streamwood

Summit

Third Lake

Tower Lakes

Vernon Hills

Villa Park

Volo

Wadsworth

Wauconda

Waukegan

Wayne

West Chicago

West Dundee

Westchester

Western Springs

Westmont

Wheaton

Wheeling

Willow Springs

Willowbrook

Wilmette

Winnetka

Winthrop Harbor

Wood Dale

Woodridge

Woodstock

Worth

Zion

I live in Burbank and called today to see if the service was available and they told me no. I cant even get att internet in my area. Whats up with that?

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori /forum/post/12975391

I live in Burbank and called today to see if the service was available and they told me no. I cant even get att internet in my area. Whats up with that?

The way I read this, service is not available in all areas of each town listed, but is available in at least part of these towns. I'm sure it will take them awhile to spread out to everyone.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skashyap /forum/post/13021473

I am quite suprised it was not lunached in Naperville on 1/28. Anyone has any inside info on it?

I am quite surprised too. Naperville is a big market with a lot of big spenders. Someone said in an earlier post that the city was fighting AT&T so that may be why. I would imagine they would be here soon though. I'm not sure if I will get it when it comes to Naperville though since I live in the uncorporated part (off of 59 by the BP gas station).

#76 ·
Got U-Verse installed today. Had problems getting sync at my NID. The Uverse installers called out a cable tech. Aout an hour later they had the problem resolved. Then it took them about another 5 hours to get the cabling inside the house working right. The downstairs was fine, but they ended up reusing the comcast cabling to reach the upstairs. Found a bad splitter and a bad section of cable that they had to replace.

They did a fantastic job, HD picture seems better that Comcast from what I remember, about on par with OTA. SD picture blows comcast away.

Not to start finding all the glitches and gotchas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.