AVS Forum banner

My 42" LG Plasma screen cracked.

36K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  quarkburger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I bought this 42" LG Plasma model 42pc5d from a friend and it has been about 6 months already and while I was watching it for a really long time one day the screen just happened to crack all of a sudden and almost made me pee in my pants. Will LG warranty cover for this repair? The date on the back of the TV says 2 / 2007. Any help guys?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlonghorns4 /forum/post/12982194

Hey guys, I bought this 42" LG Plasma model 42pc5d from a friend and it has been about 6 months already and while I was watching it for a really long time one day the screen just happened to crack all of a sudden and almost made me pee in my pants. Will LG warranty cover for this repair? The date on the back of the TV says 2 / 2007. Any help guys?

It's unlikely they'll warranty a plasma that "just happened to crack all of a sudden", and most manufacturers will only warrantee a TV to the original purchaser, not someone who buys it second-hand.

You should first find out if LG will warranty a second-hand plasma that is no longer owned by the original purchaser but do this without identifying yourself.

Then if they do warrant it to the new owner (you), see if they'll cover a screen that just happens to crack while you were just watching TV.

#3 ·
Has anyone heard of this problem happening? Could the TV get too hot due to it being a plasma TV and crack? How would I check to see if the warranty is still good without identifying myself? Is there a way to check to see if the TV was registered by the original owner or no? I don't see the friend that much anymore and am pretty sure he doesn't remember much about the TV anymore.

#4 ·
Pics, or it did not happen. Jk.

Unless I am mistaken, I believe LG is required to honor their warranty despite how many hands the item has changed. If, for example, the TV was warranted for 3 years, and you purchased it from your friend at the beginning of year, you still have one year. An express warranty does not terminate when ownership changes. An implied warranty of merchantibility, may be the type of warranty difficult to argue for, as it requires proof that the TV was in a unusable/broken state when it left the manufacturer's possession. **Edit** - RandyWalters has shown that LG's express warranty excludes second-hand purchasers. -- see below.

I have been warned twice not to turn my TV on when it was in a cold state (e.g., was shipped in Chicago). Further, my plasma gets quite hot when turned on. Given the extreme temperature differences, I could see the glass cracking. Is your TV next to a poorly insulated window or seam?

#5 ·
It is in my living room with pretty large windows and windows on the both sides of it as well. And the temperature differences lately have been pretty large. Do you think that could have been the problem? Has anyone had any experience with LG covering for a cracked panel?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlonghorns4 /forum/post/12982396

Has anyone heard of this problem happening? Could the TV get too hot due to it being a plasma TV and crack? How would I check to see if the warranty is still good without identifying myself? Is there a way to check to see if the TV was registered by the original owner or no? I don't see the friend that much anymore and am pretty sure he doesn't remember much about the TV anymore.

LG's warranty policy is pretty clear - it's only warranteed to the original purchaser so it looks like you're out of luck right off the bat. Even if they would warranty it for you, it's extremely unlikely that they'd consider a cracked screen a manufacturing defect. Do you even have the original sales receipt?

Here's some excerpts from their written warranty (found via Google):

"Your LG Plasma TV will be repaired or replaced in accordance

with the terms of this warranty, at LGE's option, if it proves to be

defective in material or workmanship under normal use, during the

warranty period (Warranty Period) listed below, effective from

the date (Date of Purchase) of original consumer purchase of

the product. This warranty is good only to the original purchaser

of the product and effective only when used in the United States,

including Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories."

"EFFECTIVE DATE OF WARRANTY: Your warranty period

begins on the date of sale to the original consumer/end user.

KEEP THE DEALER'S DATED BILL OF SALE OR PROOF OF

DELIVERY as evidence of the purchase date. You will be

required to submit a legible copy of your bill of sale or proof

of delivery when requesting warranty service."

"HOW SERVICE IS HANDLED:

In-Home Service: Please retain dealer's

dated bill of sale or delivery ticket as evidence

of the Date of Purchase for proof of warranty,

and submit a copy of the bill of sale to the service

person at the time warranty service is provided."

#7 ·
Hate to say it but I'm with Randy I doubt that LG will fix it.

But if you have a house & you have Home Owner's Insurance maybe that would cover it & that will depend on your policy because some don't cover any electronic products nowdays & some have big deductables & etc.

If you do have Home Owner's Insurance give your agent a call & see what he says. But maybe they are going to want some kind of receipt showing what you paid for it? but maybe not. Check with your agent.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by utlonghorns4 /forum/post/12982464

It is in my living room with pretty large windows and windows on the both sides of it as well. And the temperature differences lately have been pretty large. Do you think that could have been the problem? Has anyone had any experience with LG covering for a cracked panel?

I seriously doubt that temperature differences in your livingroom were great enough to cause anything....and taking your username as a clue you live in Texas and we both know that we don't exactly have arctic conditions here. My guess is that there was either already a stress fracture in the glass or it was caused during the move from your buddies house to yours. Just curious...was the panel lying flat at any time?

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/12983813

I seriously doubt that temperature differences in your livingroom were great enough to cause anything....and taking your username as a clue you live in Texas and we both know that we don't exactly have arctic conditions here. My guess is that there was either already a stress fracture in the glass or it was caused during the move from your buddies house to yours. Just curious...was the panel lying flat at any time?

i really want to know how "bad" laying it flat is bad for your panel. If it was me, i'd exaggerate the details of the crack and say, "It was there when i bought it, and i thought i could live with it. It got bigger and bigger until where it is today." Hope that helps

#10 ·
Not an LG issue but a Philips problem.

We've had a few Philips 42" Plasma sets come in the past month or two with unusual cracking in the panel. No sign of physical damage. We've charged the store in the past for a new panel but just today, calling Philips tech support to get authorization from them to release another panel they admitted they're running into some of these panels that are spontaneously cracking while the set is on.

Nothing from them as to why. It could be the panels are somehow in a bind in the frame and overheating is overstressing the glass to the point it breaks. Anyway they are replacing these cracked panels under warranty. Don't remember the model but it's their latest line.

To my knowledge they are NOT using LG panels in the sets in question nor do I think the thread starter here has a snowballs chance in hell from getting a repair from LG on a second hand purchase.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 /forum/post/12983860

i really want to know how "bad" laying it flat is bad for your panel. If it was me, i'd exaggerate the details of the crack and say, "It was there when i bought it, and i thought i could live with it. It got bigger and bigger until where it is today." Hope that helps

Lying it flat (gently of course) shouldn't hurt anything, however a sudden weight transfer to the glass (such as from a pothole/bump/railroad tracks etc..) could be disaster since it is only supported at the extreme edges.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOtvGuy /forum/post/12983947

Not an LG issue but a Philips problem.

We've had a few Philips 42" Plasma sets come in the past month or two with unusual cracking in the panel. No sign of physical damage. We've charged the store in the past for a new panel but just today, calling Philips tech support to get authorization from them to release another panel they admitted they're running into some of these panels that are spontaneously cracking while the set is on.

Nothing from them as to why. It could be the panels are somehow in a bind in the frame and overheating is overstressing the glass to the point it breaks. Anyway they are replacing these cracked panels under warranty. Don't remember the model but it's their latest line.

To my knowledge they are NOT using LG panels in the sets in question nor do I think the thread starter here has a snowballs chance in hell from getting a repair from LG on a second hand purchase.

Since LG and Philips are already in bed together with lcd panels http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeCon...ec=E&kinds=IN1 it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think this issue was related..

#13 ·
I purchases a 42 " plasma ( LG) 2 weeks ago. a few days ago my husband noticed the screen was cracked. now I had turned on the tv and hadn't noticed it was cracked but at some point while i was watching it must have cracked. my question is this? can heat cause the internal plasma panel to crack? I KNOW for a fact that nothing hit the screen to crack it. Future shop has refused to exchange it, the representative for LG was has said something was thrown at the tv to crack it. However i have read that heat will cause cracks and when i asked him he said that plasma tvs get hot so the heat would not have caused it. now i have no where to turn and 1000.00 tv that was a waste of my money!!! my other problem is this, should they have warned me that the screen was so sensitive? not find out after its damaged and after they have my money? what is wrong with situation. i read the owners manual. it says " Do not allow a impact shock or any objects to fall into the product, and do not drop onto the screen with something. "

I am wondering, is it possible that where was a small crack that was unnoticeable at the store and then it spread? also after the sales person took the tv out of the box so we could view it, instead of putting back in the box, he asked if he could bubble wrap it instead, and he said it would be safer? what if it was bumped while it sitting on the floor ( it sat in the isle wrapped while we went up to the front to pay )or being put on the cart? how would i know if the damage was caused during the purchase process and remained unnoticeable until it spread? I mean is that possible? now i wish we would have had him put it in the box so at least id have it for serial numbers. the bottom line is I was told there is nothing i can do, it wasn't damaged before i purchased it and therefore not covered by warrenty. however its 2 weeks old and i didn't cause this damage. the crack started out small but now every time the tv gets shifted even a little, or turned on the crack spreads. I am so disappointed and at the very least would like to know if this has been a problem for anyone else.?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofutureshop /forum/post/13805099

I purchases a 42 " plasma ( LG) 2 weeks ago. a few days ago my husband noticed the screen was cracked. now I had turned on the tv and hadn't noticed it was cracked but at some point while i was watching it must have cracked. my question is this? can heat cause the internal plasma panel to crack? I KNOW for a fact that nothing hit the screen to crack it. Future shop has refused to exchange it, the representative for LG was has said something was thrown at the tv to crack it. However i have read that heat will cause cracks and when i asked him he said that plasma tvs get hot so the heat would not have caused it. now i have no where to turn and 1000.00 tv that was a waste of my money!!! my other problem is this, should they have warned me that the screen was so sensitive? not find out after its damaged and after they have my money? what is wrong with situation. i read the owners manual. it says " Do not allow a impact shock or any objects to fall into the product, and do not drop onto the screen with something. "

I am wondering, is it possible that where was a small crack that was unnoticeable at the store and then it spread? also after the sales person took the tv out of the box so we could view it, instead of putting back in the box, he asked if he could bubble wrap it instead, and he said it would be safer? what if it was bumped while it sitting on the floor ( it sat in the isle wrapped while we went up to the front to pay )or being put on the cart? how would i know if the damage was caused during the purchase process and remained unnoticeable until it spread? I mean is that possible? now i wish we would have had him put it in the box so at least id have it for serial numbers. the bottom line is I was told there is nothing i can do, it wasn't damaged before i purchased it and therefore not covered by warrenty. however its 2 weeks old and i didn't cause this damage. the crack started out small but now every time the tv gets shifted even a little, or turned on the crack spreads. I am so disappointed and at the very least would like to know if this has been a problem for anyone else.?

Did you pay with a credit card? If so see if they offer any warranty coverage

or help they may provide. If you didn't do anything and there is no visible damage, I would hound LG until they help you. Future Shop actually gave you the tv wrapped in bubble wrap and they threw away the box?
No offense and hindsite is always 20/20, but probably not the smartest thing you could of done.

#15 ·
We didn't purchase with a credit card. wish we had of now, of course like you side hindsight is 20/20. and I forgot to mention that there was a shadow there the first time I watched it, however we had put a movie on for the kids and they paused it so I thought the shadow was burn in and now I wonder if there wasn't something there. and us not taking the box was so incredibly stupid of us.... at the time though i had just watched him take it out and saw how he struggled so i didn't want to have to take it out and risk scratching the screen (didn't know it could crack on the inside i thought the the outside was the thing to worry about.) and then too i thought, its always such a hassle to get rid of big boxes like that so just seemed like the best way to go....

#16 ·
Hey, have been away from the forums for a while. Did you get your crack fixed? I have called and emailed LG about it several times and they would not help me at all. The fact that I have lost my receipt for this TV makes it even harder. I now just have the TV sitting there in the corner and have no idea what to do with it. Any other ideas or suggestions? I definitely don't have enough money for another TV at this moment.

#17 ·
My LG was cracked as well.. They didnt replae it. Infact they flat out refused to cover it under warranty. I have heard of quite a few people having their TVs just crack for no good reason. Maybe there is a manufacting defect in the panels they dont want us to know about.

Mike

#18 ·
My LG 60PY3DF just cracked on me today and scared the crap out of me. I can't believe how loud the pop was and then massive buzzing. I scrambled to unplug the thing for fear of an electrical fire. Only thing I can figure is that I was using it with my PC Computer and I had a small explorer window sitting at the top centre for 1 hour which is where it cracked from and then spread all the way down the screen. Maybe heat stress caused as being 60" it throws a lot of heat. The external glass is still perfect but the actual plasma panel behind it has multiple cracks starting from the centre top all the way down.

I spoke to LG Customer Service and I've now left a message for a local authorized warranty service centre to come inspect it for exchange.

The unit hasn't moved for 6 months and nobody was near it when it cracked.

I'll post again to let everyone know if I'm successful in exchanging it. Sharing the information so that other people know that this can happen. This is a $4500 unit and only 6 months old.

#19 ·
this just happened to us as well!! we were on vacation and had a married couple housesit for us (the 2 most quiet, trustworthy people ever) and they were watching our 50" LG plasma and it just cracked! cracked about 3 inches in the panel and then they came back a few days later and the crack completely went up the screen. we are going back and forth between LG and the third party they had come out to check it. The third party repair place agreed and saw that there was absolutely no physical damage to it. took a while, but i called back today and they said LG won't cover it. talked to LG and they said there is nothing inside the tv that could cause it to crack, maybe something soft hit the tv. WHAT!? NOPE. so i ended the convo with saying, 'so i spent almost $3k on this tv at the end of March this year and now have to either spend $1900 to get it fixed or get a new one" and they didn't care. and for some reason, it is of course not covered under the best buy service replacement plan we spent $400 on. this is a pain in the ass. Don't buy an LG plasma! At least go for LCD! We are having an actual LG technician come out in a few days, but I am sure they will tell us the same thing. Just so ridiculous.

#21 ·
Let me tell you how to get this covered, I got it done for a client > . Read the whole thread complete.

How did I do it? I got a hold of the manufacturer head technician. I ask him a few questions.

1.) Are you a glass engineer? He said no, so I asked how do you know that glass heating up and cooling down a million times will not weaken it and cause it to crack. Hes said he would look into it. 2.) I asked him if he has examined this glass? He Said no 3.) I asked how does he not know if the glass had a flaw from the factory? He did not reply. 4.) I asked if he examened the whole panel? He said no, I said if this panel had any trama it would be present and of course we would know if my client damaged it. He agreed. 5.) I then said it is possible that my client is very clever, you would know if anyone in the area ordered a bezel as that is a special part? He said yes they would know, I said it can not be fraud then if no one in that area ordered parts

They ageed to pick the panel up and examine it, 2 weeks later he got a new panel

This is one of those times "The best price is not always the best deal". This took a lot of legwork as a dealer to get this covered after he bought it 9 months prior.

#22 ·
I am a ceramic engineer by training and have been working in ceramics industry for many years. The cracking described in this thread (absent a beer bottle chucked at the screen) indicates a pre-existing stress or flaw in the glass that finally released it's energy by cracking.

My guess is the stress/flaw finally released (glass cracked) after many cycles of turning the set on/off during which the glass heats/cools (or temperature cycle). During each heating/cooling cycle, the glass will expand and contract. Eventually these dimensional/thermal changes may cause a flawed screen to crack but won't impact a good screen.

There are numerous sources for inducing stress/flaws during any manufacturing process involving glass and each source is easily identified by a professional examination of the cracked glass panel (from the crack signature).

It is equally true that an impact on the front of the panel, such as from the aforementioned beer bottle, is also very easily identified.

The set that cracked with a very loud sound indicates it had a high level of constrained stress that suddenly released. Normally cracks in unstressed or low stressed glass grow very slowly and certainly very quietly.

The analysis of cracks in glass is a well established science...by this I mean it is child's play for a qualified engineer to analyze the cracked screen and tell if it came from an manufacturing defect ( internal stress or chip/microcrack during manufacturing) or someone chucking their beer bottle at it during a UT football game.

Personally I would send a letter to the manufacturer indicating that you tried to get satisfaction at the local level but failed. If they still won't replace the set then I would consult a local Professional Engineer (yellow pages) and see where to get an analysis done.

Then I would send a second letter to the manufacturer indicating where you will have the Failure Analysis done and asking their agreement to pay for the report plus reasonable fees for your time and effort should the analysis find the cracking originated from a manufacturing defect.

At that point, the manufacturer should understand that you are serious and may return a favorable response without your actually having to get the glass analyzed.

I suspect the cost of the analysis may be more than the cost of replacing your set. As he also understands the high level of accuracy in crack analysis, he probably won't want such a report to be issued.

Good luck...

#23 ·
Sounds like buyers should stay away from LG.......for them to not even consider the possibility it is their product that is faulty and lay 100% blame on the consumer is ridiculous. They are turning off future customers. These people will never buy LG again and they will recommend other brands to friends and family. It would be much better for LG if they would be a little more sympathetic and help these people out. Send out a technician to verify there is no visible trauma to the set and fix the problem.

#24 ·
I think all manufacturers would at "first" put a stink up about this. I would like to see these LG owners or anyone else who had this happen try what I did or try what coreman54 said and let us all know what happened.

#25 ·
well, ok, now i need to retract my statement about don't buy from LG. i have an update - we had the actual LG service technician come out today and he did notice that there wasn't any physical damage and that yes, the tv is still under warranty, so he said he will fix the screen and it will be covered. so thank goodness for that. so if you have an LG tv, don't let a 3rd party come out to check it out, wait the extra time for the LG technician.

thank you sooo much coreman54, that explanation really does help so much. it makes sense now once you say that. now if we can somehow get that information to the companies so they realize this and either send the tvs out with some sort of warning or fix this problem.

now we just need to make sure there is a warranty on the replaced screen, because we certainly don't need to deal with this again.

#26 ·
Update on my cracked 60"

First technician said you'll have to take it up with LG as they won't reimburse them to repair it under warranty. Next day speaking to LG Customer Service said we'll send a repair authorization but the technician should not have rejected the repair under warranty in the first place. I followed up again 3 days later since I hadn't heard from the service company. Finally a different service company called and sent out a technican to look at it on Oct. 9th. I've been away on business for 1 week and haven't heard a thing. Will followup tomorow. Getting frustrated as I'm on week 3 now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.