AVS Forum banner

The Official Salk Sound Owner's And Discussion Thread

1M views 10K replies 689 participants last post by  henrich3 
#1 · (Edited)

I recently had the pleasure of spending some quality time with the Salk Sound SongTower's, of which I really enjoyed. Much to my surprise, after some research and poking around I could not find a Salk Sound master thread. I know there are owners out there, so let this be the official Salk Sound owner's and discussion thread. Please post opinions, experiences and pictures. Let's all keep it civil and have some fun!

Salk Sound is an Internet Direct company that specializes in custom speakers and subwoofers. You want it, they'll build it; doesn't matter if it's in their product lineup or not. Their main shop is located near Detroit, Michigan. Salk Sounds' motto is as follows:

"We Hand-Craft World-class speaker systems, customized to your heart's content.

Whether you're looking for an audiophile-class music system or an engaging cinematic experience, you've come to the right place.

We'll help turn your dreams into reality!"

Some of their products include the following:

SongTower
SongTower SC (Super-Charged)
Song3
SongBird
SongCenter

HT1
HT1-TL

HT2-TL
HT3
Veracity ST

Salk Silk bookshelf/monitor
Silk Tower

WOW1 Mini Monitor

SoundScape 10 (10 inch woofer)
SoundScape 12 (12 inch woofer)
SoundScape 8 (dual 8 inch woofers)
SoundScape 7M Monitor
SoundScape C Center Channel

Exotica 3
Exotica Monitor

PowerPlay Monitor

Philharmonic BMR Monitor

I wanted to add that the SoundScape's, HT2 TL's and SongTower's are among the greatest loudspeakers I've ever had the pleasure to hear. I've never heard a midrange that detailed, lush and simply "right" on a speaker for these particular asking prices, not to mention such an enveloping 3-Dimensional and holographic soundstage. While listening I only hear music rather than a pair of speakers trying to reproduce the music; they just disappear. Without trying to sound like a reviewer from one of the "Big Three Magazine Publications," one would have to at least double the price before finding something competitive (my opinion, of course). With that said, Salk Sound more than deserves an owner's thread.

Jump to how some of the current lines became reality

Owner's audition request thread/list

SongTower review at Enjoy The Music

Audioholics' SongTower QWT review

Sonic Flare's SongTower QWT Review

Audioholic's $1500-$2000 Speaker Shootout - Salk SongTower QWT's preferred over all

Veracity HT1-TL review at Enjoy The Music

Audioholic's Veracity HT2-TL review

SongTower review at The Absolute Sound

SoundScape10 review at Home Theater Review

WOW1 review at Inner Fidelity

Exotica 3 speaker review at Home Theater High Fidelity

Part Time Audiophile's write-up of the Salk Exotica 3 speakers

See less See more
3 26
#131 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy /forum/post/12843503

I know Jim is interested in cultivating new ground, and not just turning out another conventional 3-way or 2-way. In that regard, it would also be helpful to get some feedback from others. What kind of new designs would be particularly attractive to you guys (other than super cheap models, which just can't be produced profitably at low volume)?

When you actually sit down and think about it - it's really hard to think of something that hasn't been done before. But, a couple of things that would be nice to see/explore would be:

1) A Flagship home theater system (something to compete with Atlantic Technology/JBL Synthesis/Klipsch THX Ultra II systems). I'm thinking speakers with multiple tweeters and midrange drivers, dipole/bipole selectable surrounds that can actually keep up to the mains, and two subs in a 7.2 setup. Imagine if you took something like the M&K S-150, but substituted in a pair of Seas Excel Magnesium Woofers, and a G2si 3-tweeter array.
High-efficiency, and maximum dynamics with multiple drivers to handle the strain without distorting....MMMMM, tasty! I notice that a lot of speaker companies have a moster set of L/C/R up front, and then MUCH less capable speaker for the side surrounds (Yes Paradigm Signature S8 / ADP - I'm talking about you...). I dream of having something on the sides and rears that can actually keep up to the mains for impact, instead of getting "lost in the mix". Price - maybe around $10k to $12k for a stock 7.2 setup, $15k with Tact or Deqx auto-calibration, and $18k as a fully-active design?

2) A flagship 2-channel setup. For this, I'm thinking along the lines of Usher Be-20 or Kharma Exquisite Midi for looks (with sleek, swept-back, rounded cabinets), but with the capabilities of doing 18hz to 40khz, like the Von Schweikert VR-9SE (minus the funny looking cabinet that Von Schweikert uses). Price - hopefully $20k, but with the performance to justify it. For example, I listened to an $40k Linn Komri setup and a $4k Magnepan 3.6, and while the Linn was great, it was NOWHERE NEAR $36k better.

#133 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/12968006

Quick question...

Did that professional review of the Song Tower's ever hit the magazine pages? I'd love to read it!

I get an email or phone call every couple of weeks from the reviewer saying it will be finished "any day now." So I expect it will be relatively soon, although it is completely out of our control.

In the mean time, Dave H. (Boybees) has been compiling his impressions in an ongoing series of updates. Here is a link:

http://http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=49037.0

He is not a professional reviewer, but you would not know that reading his analysis. Interesting presentation.

- Jim

#134 ·
Jim,

I am new to the AVS forums, and I have been a big fan of your speakers. I am looking to purchase the Song Towers with the center channel shortly. I was wondering what wood grain if any are availabe for the starting price. I really like the look of the new V3's on your web site, and would like to see those in the Song Towers.

Is there any other pictures of the Song Towers with different grains and color of wood?

Keep up the good work your products are awesome!

Thanks,

Mike

#135 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk /forum/post/12974234

I get an email or phone call every couple of weeks from the reviewer saying it will be finished "any day now." So I expect it will be relatively soon, although it is completely out of our control.

In the mean time, Dave H. (Boybees) has been compiling his impressions in an ongoing series of updates. Here is a link:

http://http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=49037.0

He is not a professional reviewer, but you would not know that reading his analysis. Interesting presentation.

- Jim

Thanks for the response, Jim. I've already read Boybees' review and I certainly agree that its very well written; so good he could be a professional reviewer. Heck, I rather enjoyed his review more than most "professional" reviewers. It's nice to know their is no brand bias or influenced opinions when I read someone like his review. Nonetheless, I'm eagerly awaiting the "professional" review. It's time you get the recognition you deserve.

#136 ·
Mike -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDEVAN /forum/post/12982907

Jim,

I am new to the AVS forums, and I have been a big fan of your speakers. I am looking to purchase the Song Towers with the center channel shortly. I was wondering what wood grain if any are available for the starting price. I really like the look of the new V3's on your web site, and would like to see those in the Song Towers.

Is there any other pictures of the Song Towers with different grains and color of wood?

Keep up the good work your products are awesome!

Thanks,

Mike

Naturally, you can have SongTowers in any finish you want. If it is other than the "standard" finishes, however, it will cost a little more. For example, the bosse pomelle or rosewood shown on our V3's is available and we have the veneer in stock.

Here are a few pics of some various versions we have done. I'll start with standard veneers.

Here is curly cherry which seems to be the most popular...

Here is standard curly walnut...

Here is a SongSub in standard curly maple...

Now, here are some "custom" versions of the SongTowers...

Here is one in a special dyed maple...

Here's one in rosewood...

Here is a dark, dyed cherry...

And a pair in South American Tineo...

Of course, many of these photos do not do justice to the looks of the speakers in person. I am not that good a photographer.

But you get the idea. We offer nice curly maple, cherry and walnut as "standard" finishes. But if you want to invest a little more, you can have any finish you want. If you look over the pictures in our Veracity of the Month gallery on our web site, you will see almost any wood/veneer combination you can imagine. And SongTowers can be done in any of them.

I hope this helps...

- Jim

#139 ·
The Salk Song Towers

More than I ever expected in a $1500 speaker!

I have owned many speakers over the years, as well as having auditioned over 100. A year and a half ago, I became so frustrated with the hobby that I sold everything. I just couldn’t take the ongoing upgrades and the incredible amount of money I had invested in the quest. This was truly significant considering how much I truly love music. I have been fascinated with its reproduction for as long as I can remember. I had reached the point of diminishing returns and always found myself wanting anyway. It was a good excuse to get out and enjoy my young family.

My wife and I found other activities to occupy our time with, especially our wonderful children. Unfortunately, maybe fortunately, we missed music. It had been such a special part of our lives that we realized we needed it back in our home. Our childhood memories always had a musical theme. My wife and her Shaun Cassidy record player listening to Elvis. My family listening to Joe Cocker, Neil Diamond, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and many others. I remember how much we enjoyed music on old eight tracks and cassette tapes. My parents got out of the records because of the kids. (I have them all now!)

I digress, along came Jim Salk. Arguably, the nicest man in Hi-Fi! I had to hear these speakers that I had read about. Could they really be that good for that price? As we all know, we never really hear about the great obscure speakers. Apparently, you have to take out a full-page ad in TAS or Stereophile to be recognized. Ah, the joys of big business.

I contacted Jim and quickly realized that this was the type of man that I wanted to purchase speakers from. He is kind, accommodating, knowledgeable, and really cares about satisfying his customers. (ALL OF THEM!! ) I am a Michigan resident, so I had the pleasure of auditioning the speakers in Jim’s lovely home. I told Jim that I would have to bring my kids. Of course he said, “No problem.” My kids are 3 and 1. Who else would have said that?

We listened to many different types of music. Jazz, folk, vocals, blues, classical, you name it. I was mesmerized by the mid-range, but just couldn’t believe the top to bottom coherence of these speakers. They are just amazing at this price point or any other for that matter. As you know, the mid-range is where it’s at. Unfortunately, and all too often, the rest is just not that good. We are always making sacrifices or concessions for the perfect mids. I owned Maggies for years. They are great in their own right, but you better have a very good amplifier with TONS of power. Not the case with Song Towers!

We had to leave that night, but I vowed to bring my wife back. She is always my voice of reason. I needed to make sure that I was hearing what I was hearing.

A week later my wife and I made the trip. She really isn’t an audiophile, but she knows what music is supposed to sound like. She is brutally honest and doesn’t have a problem telling it the way it is. She claims that I am sometimes lacking in that department. She is right. Well, the obvious happened first. She immediately fell in love with the looks of the speakers. LET’S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW. SALK MAKES THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SPEAKERS OUT THERE. THE FINISH ALONE WARRANTS TEN TIMES THE PRICE TAG. YOU CANNOT BE DISAPPOINTED. THEY ARE BREATHTAKING. THE MAN IS AN ARTIST AND CRAFTSMAN.

How do they sound? As I previously stated, WONDERFUL MID-RANGE. That’s where it starts. Fortunately, that’s not where it ends. All of the audiophile terms that I generally have disdain for apply. Top to bottom coherence, three-dimensionality, delicacy, accuracy, detailed, boxless, and so on. All positive adjectives apply. We continued to be amazed. Everything he played sounded good. Regardless, of the genre of the music. $1500! Are you kidding me?

Now as you know, all speaker manufacturers have demo CDs. Jim does too. Be prepared, its fantastic. It truly demonstrates what these speakers are capable of. By the way, we were using a Squeezebox. That’s right. No ten thousand dollar CD player here. It makes you wonder????? I brought my own CDs too. Jim gladly obliged. Of course, they sounded great too. All validated by my wife, who sat entranced in the zone.

DYNAMIC!! BASS!! When I listen to the Tower of Power, I want to hear the music, but I want to feel it too. The STs make you want to move. The groove hits you. By the way, these have five-inch woofers. Yes, I’m not kidding. Five-inch woofers can’t produce this kind of bass. Wrong. Bloated –No Chance. Accurate. Musical. I still can’t believe it. Treble! Sweet, delicate, accurate, non-fatiguing. Love the Danish. You can listen to these all day and you just don’t want to stop. Be careful, they’ll play LOUD. REALLY LOUD!

I ordered them. I am sure that you figured that out by now. These were some of the longest weeks I can remember. BUT, is the best investment I have ever made in audio. I cannot describe how pleased we are with these speakers. To have something that sounds this good in your home makes the quest worthwhile. The looks are just a bonus. The old adage applies, beautiful inside and out. Ours are SA Tineo. You have to see to believe.

Does the quest have you down and out? Call Jim. You won’t be disappointed. You too, can enjoy the music again!

Brett

Salk Fan Club Member since 2007

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/bs...153761792385.1

#144 ·
Brett -

Great review buddy! It sounds like you had the same experience I did while auditioning the Song Tower's (blind) at CraigSub's home. Of course, I'm the idiot that still hasn't ordered a pair yet, but I'm a little low on funds. Once the cash is there, I'll own my own pair of Song Tower's.

Enjoy your new purchase, Brett!

#146 ·
Guys,

Are the "Song Towers" rear ported?? It looks like they are. What distance do you have them away from the back wall or the recommend minimum distance??

Thank you,

Charles

#147 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz /forum/post/13056993

Are the "Song Towers" rear ported?? It looks like they are. What distance do you have them away from the back wall or the recommend minimum distance?

Dennis Murphy tested his prototype SongTowers after being frequently asked this question. He varied them from 8 inches to 2 feet away from the rear wall and found that no position generated that boomy sound that other speakers have when they are too close to the wall. He said he liked their sound a bit better when they were closer to the wall, but they were really fine anywhere.

I have done the same with my SongTowers, and found the same result. The base of the cabinet allows you to place the back of the speaker no closer than 2 or 3" inches away from the rear wall. I've tried it that close without hearing any problem.

SongTowers cabinets are technically a mass loaded transmission line design, which is very different from ported or vented cabinets. They may look similar to rear ported cabinets, but they are not at all sensitive to the distance from the wall behind them.

#148 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow /forum/post/13057632

SongTowers cabinets are technically a mass loaded transmission line design, which is very different from ported or vented cabinets. They may look similar to rear ported cabinets, but they are not at all sensitive to the distance from the wall behind them.

Are the rest of the Salk's speakers engineered this way?

#151 ·
Paul Kittinger is the TL guru. He designed the ST bass loading, and has also done TL's using larger drivers. As for any specific driver, you have to model the TS parameters and see which type of TL works best, and whether it's possibe to hit the target bass response in a cabinet size that's practical. I know Paul certainly got excellent results using an 8" ScanSpeak aluminum woofer (I heard it at the Iowa DIY event last October). Paul would have to tell you what challenges might be posed by a TL approach using a larger woofer.

#152 ·
Guys,

Anyone running the SongTowers with a Denon receiver?

Any opinions on how well something like the 3808ci woul match up - both HT and 2 channel?

Any performance difference by placing the port on the front? (my room layout is going to require placing the back of the cabinet w/n 2" or so from the wall.)

#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat2950 /forum/post/13070603

Anyone running the SongTowers with a Denon receiver? Any opinions on how well something like the 3808ci woul match up - both HT and 2 channel?

I use an older Denon AVR-1800 receiver as a preamp along with a B&K EX4420 2-channel amp, 200 watts/channel. The Denon receiver does about 75 watts/channel when in 2-channel mode, and that was plenty to drive the SongTowers. I already owned the external amp before I bought the SongTowers, so I use it. But I once tried the Denon alone with the SongTowers and it was fine. I used it this way for about 10 or 15 minutes just to see what it was like. The overload protection mode never came on. Your 3808ci is more powerful than my Denon. It should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat2950 /forum/post/13070603

Any performance difference by placing the port on the front? (my room layout is going to require placing the back of the cabinet w/n 2" or so from the wall.)

Reread posts 146-147 above that talk about placing the SongTowers near a wall. You should have no problems with the standard vent location if the cabinet is placed 2" or so from the wall.

#154 ·
Hey AV Forum, this is my first posting. I saw this tread and thought I had to share my experience about Salk Signature products. First let me say I don't own any Salk speakers but Oh Baby, I am working overtime and eating Top Ramen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to save up for some Salk speakers. Here's my story.

I recently introduced my friend Merv to the audiophile world. Well he really got into it, he read about audio stuff now day and night. Well after some heavy, heavy research Merv discovers Salk Signature Sound. I've been into audio for about 8 years now however I've always bought my gear from local audio retailers here in San Diego. I thought I had a good sounding system but let me tell you these speakers from Salk have made me so mad, I've had to reevaluate my system and wonder why my speakers aren't giving me the same love Mev's are giving him. I remember we went into one of our local High end audio stores and were talking to the sales guy/ owner and we mentioned that Merv was buying some Ellis 1801's from SALK Sound. He gave us a funny look and said Who and then why would you buy a speaker without listening to it? Merv said I've read a lot of good reviews in Audio Circle about them and I've done the research, I just have faith their going to be good. The sales guy/ owner said good luck with that. I have to say I was skeptical also, but very curious as well, plus it wasn't my money. Well Merv's faith has led him to the sweet spot of Audio Heaven. These speakers blew me away. We were listening to a live concert of Bob Marley and for the first time I heard people in the crowd that I've never heard before. I don't mean the obvious crowd noise, I'm talking about someone way way waaaaay in the back of the crowd, last row or something, I swear you could hear a person cough and then yell wooooooooooo. I think that's the first time I can say I felt speakers melt away and put you right there in the concert. Well that's not actually the first time, there was another time but it involved a bottle of Johnny Walker Red and I try to forget that night. Anyway, I've heard this CD many times on my own system but I've never heard it like this. What kind of voodoo is Salk putting into these speakers? I was so bent and twisted over these speakers after hearing them I ran home, put the same cd on and just got frustrated that I was not getting that sweet honey sound Merv is getting. Well with that said the next day I opened a SALK speaker saving account. I was lost but now I'm SALK found. Hopefully next year I will be able to place my order for some SALK speakers of my own .

HT 3 Speakers

PS- After seeing and hearing the quality of the Ellis 1801's Salk made I had to hear some more Salk Sound. Merv and I asked Salk if there was anyone in San Diego who had some HT3's that might let us listen to them. Salk referred us to Craig. It was rainy Sunday Morning in San Diego when we listened to Craig's HT3's but let me tell you there was nothing but sunshine in Craig's house that day.. The first thing that strikes you about these speakers is how beautiful the finish and build quality are. Then Craig fired up his amp popped in a CD. Then the HT3's began to blow several brain cells in my head. I'm only writing you this message with the ones I have left. I'm just a walking zombie now thanks to Salk. I'm totally addicted to the SALK sound. If you don't want to eat Top Ramen for the next couple of months I suggest you don't listen to anything Salk makes it will be your demise, it was mine.

System VAC Avatar Super SE Integrated amp / Gamut CD3 / Von Schweikert VR-1 Monitors / VR-S/1's minisub

#155 ·
So let me get this straight, you LIKE the Salk speakers?

Good energy in your response. Now if we could only get more folks to take the plunge. I ran into 2 gentlemen in a local HiFi shop 2 weeks ago and they were hot to purchase but had no idea what to gravitate toward. I invited them over the next day and that week one of them purchased an entire ST 5.1 set up and a pair of HT2's as well from Jim. All they had to do was hear my V3's and HT3's and they were hooked. It's all good!