AVS Forum banner

Mirage Speakers

998K views 7K replies 829 participants last post by  eab6287 
#1 ·
I want start this thread to focus on discussing Mirage speakers. It appears that Mirage has started to go small in recent years, promoting OmniSat or some new variation of it. I would like to hear from people familiar with the Mirage brand of speakers on their opinions on comparing Mirage floorstanding OM series of speakers with these OmniSat speakers. Reading Mirage website, they seem to suggest that OmniSat performs almost to the level of OM speakers. It is hard to believe that the alumnium cased little speakers could perform to the level of wood cabinet of the OM speakers. The OM series speakers referred here are OM-6, OM-5, and OM-9.

Hopefully, we can have a lively discussion here.

#527 ·
bjorn, sorry to hear about your trouble. Mirage is typically good at handling these issues, and considering your speakers are so new, they should send you a new tweeter. The direct e-mail address is MirageParts@klipschgroup.com

Hope this helps.

#530 ·
bjorn, I just received a pair of Mirage 550s and had the same buzzing sound from one of the tweeters
. I am sending my speaker back. I did not think about getting a new tweeter. Let me know how that goes. I also have a pair of 350s and I love them. Right now they sound better than the 550s. My goal is the have the 550 as main L and R and the 350s as surrounds.

#532 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBgunner /forum/post/13081479

Right now they sound better than the 550s.

Do you think that is because they are more broken in? Just curious. How do the 350's sound better? I almost went with the 550's but I like the size of the 350's and figured I could always get a bigger sub for more bass
I love the 350's but there are still certain things that don't sound quite as sharp as I'd like. I've been listening to music on my Sennheiser headphones for the past few years because I couldn't afford system so it's a bit of an adjustment.

#533 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/10976523

You're right, the Mirage Omni C150 is almost certainly the Athena LS C100 with a Mirage logo on it.

I'm still wondering why Mirage would put a direct radiating speaker into their budget line and not into the other lines. Sort of a mixed message of design philosophy.

And if they are going to use a direct radiating speaker as a center channel, I wish they wouldn't go for a toppled MTM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver /forum/post/9920370

I'll second the Omni-550's being better than the OmniSat v2-FS - dynamic range ability being the biggest difference. The OmniSat v2-FS, while having decent usable bottom end in smaller rooms, really can't compare to the 550's in terms of overall frequency response and output capabilities. This is especially important, in my opinion, when using the speakers for music listening or when setting up the system in a larger room. The OmniSat v2-FS is a really good speaker for what it is though - a form/function, slim-line floorstanding speaker that, thanks to the omniguide, presents a much larger stage than similar speakers. If size is a major concern, or if these speakers are for a smaller room, the v2-FS would be a nice choice. If the room is bigger, added dynamics are preferred, and space requirements aren't an issue than the 550's are a much better option.

As for the center channels for each of these, I also think the Omni-C150 is a better value than the OmniSat v2-CC. The Omni-C150 has better overall clarity and range ability than the smaller v2-CC. The upgrade in clarity mainly due to being a direct radiating design rather than omni reflecting the tweeter and mid. In a system using the Omni-550's and a v2-CC, the v2 really can't keep up with the output of the 550's during dynamic HT scenes. Again, don't get me wrong, the v2-CC is a very good performer, but it really is designed to mate with their smaller speaker designs - OmniSat v2 and v2-FS.

Hope this helps

I talked to the only place that I could find after scouring the net that has the C150's (A Mirage dealer out of Salt Lake City). He said that the C-150 was the mated CC to the Omni series, even though it was a direct radiating speaker, would be the better choice than the v2 CC version.

Now the Athena LSC100 looks as if it is virtually identical to the Omni C150, is this true or am I fooling myself? What is the difference??? Could the Athena be used as the CC for the 550's instead of the C150?

The main reason I'm asking is that the C150 is gone from all of the local stores and the only place I can get it is from that store in Salt Lake City but it is $250. The Athena LSC100 runs $99.95, so you can see why I'm asking.

I can float the $250 if that is the clear choice or the only option, but if both are good, I'd just as soon save the $150 and buy a 350 with the $$ saved.

Please advise.....

Thanks,

Audio Newbie

#535 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::bjorn:: /forum/post/13081711

Do you think that is because they are more broken in? Just curious. How do the 350's sound better? I almost went with the 550's but I like the size of the 350's and figured I could always get a bigger sub for more bass
I love the 350's but there are still certain things that don't sound quite as sharp as I'd like. I've been listening to music on my Sennheiser headphones for the past few years because I couldn't afford system so it's a bit of an adjustment.

I auditioned the 350s and 550s side by side at Ultimate. The only difference I heard was bass extension, and even that was not dramatic (the 350s have in-freakin'-credible bass!) I chose the 350s because, like you, I prefer the smaller size. So far, I have been really happy with them.

#536 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger /forum/post/13086547

from what i have read, the athena cc, and mirage cc are basically the same.

go for it, and let us know how it sounds with the 550's.

Ditch Digger....appreciate your opinion/input.....anyone else want to second this? If not could you tell me what the difference would be?

Since I'm at it....setup would be 550 mains, 350 rears, CC in question (LOOKING FOR THE INPUT) with an Onkyo 605 receiver...(no sub for now anyway).....PLEASE do not hesitate to either give it a "thumbs up" or advise on possible improvement....especially CC and/or receiver...

Learned a TON from you folks already......just a bit more guidance, OK?

Any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

#537 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60285 /forum/post/13089349

Ditch Digger....appreciate your opinion/input.....anyone else want to second this? If not could you tell me what the difference would be?

Since I'm at it....setup would be 550 mains, 350 rears, CC in question (LOOKING FOR THE INPUT) with an Onkyo 605 receiver...(no sub for now anyway).....PLEASE do not hesitate to either give it a "thumbs up" or advise on possible improvement....especially CC and/or receiver...

Learned a TON from you folks already......just a bit more guidance, OK?

Any and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

Go for the Athena LS-100.

#538 ·
For the past week, I've been lurking around forums, review sites, and home theater stores looking at speakers. I thought I had settled on:

Nanosat package incl sub + Nano CC ($800-$1000)

I have auditioned them as well as the nanosat prestiges (hence the CC) and Omnisat 2 FS. The FS's sounded the best to me, and were the most full sounding, but at $1000 a pair fell fully out of my price range.

After reading this thread (and seeing the 350's going for $300 a pair), I am now thinking this might be a better package:

1xAthena CC, 4x Omni 350, old Onkyo 10", 225W sub (for now) ($700)

My receiver is a Onkyo 505 (75W). Viewing/listening area is only 10' deep by 12' wide, with an open left side wall. It's an apartment so I won't be turning this thing up that loud. I use my system for 30% Video Games, 50% movies and TV, and 20% music. I am upgrading from a Onkyo HTIB, just with an already-upgraded receiver.

Knowing the size of my room and whatnot, do you guys think I should just stick to my original plan and get the nanosats? I didn't really hear their "hole" in the frequency range, but the Omnisat FS did sound more full. I don't NEED small speakers, and place audio quality before size, but I did really like the look and omnidirectional sound of the nanosats. I also might consider 350's in the front and 150 rears, if anyone knows of where to find a good deal on the 150's.

Thanks!

#539 ·
Get the Omni 350s if you have the room. I haven't heard them, but have owned the older Omni series. The only reason to choose the nanosats would be if small size is a priority. If you can deal with floorstanders, by all means go for them. I would also expect the 350s to have fuller and deeper bass than the Omnisat FS you heard.

The 350s and 550s are basically 1/2 off, hard to beat that deal

#540 ·
Yeah, they are a terrific deal right now.

Vanns has the Nanosat+nanosub in white for $500 right now, but it isn't in stock. If it comes back and I haven't ordered anything else yet I'll probably still jump on it, and pretend I had never heard of the omni's

I'm having a hard time finding reviews on the Athena center. I find plenty of reviews on the C1, but not so many on the LSC-100. Does anyone know if a C1 would match the speakers well? I may actually get my center first, as it is what is lacking most on my onkyo's... though I probably shouldn't wait around to have this deal on the omnis disappear either.

#541 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutdi /forum/post/13091105

Yeah, they are a terrific deal right now.

Vanns has the Nanosat+nanosub in white for $500 right now, but it isn't in stock. If it comes back and I haven't ordered anything else yet I'll probably still jump on it, and pretend I had never heard of the omni's

I'm having a hard time finding reviews on the Athena center. I find plenty of reviews on the C1, but not so many on the LSC-100. Does anyone know if a C1 would match the speakers well? I may actually get my center first, as it is what is lacking most on my onkyo's... though I probably shouldn't wait around to have this deal on the omnis disappear either.

I regret not buying a Mirage Center last time they were being cleared out by Vanns. Once they're gone, they're probably gone until Mirage releases new models. With Athena, they're probably gone for good as all the inventory is being sold off as the brand is going away.

As long as the speakers aren't too big, you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of them on eBay for close to what you paid. I saw a set of Omni 150s go for well over the $150 that they were selling for a few months ago.

#542 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 350's from Vanns, they should be here next week. However, in reading back over the thread I read something that PULLIAMM wrote about the 350's needing a 4-ohm stable receiver to do their best. I have an Onkyo TX-SR505, which is not "certified" for 4-ohm performance.

This worries me a little. I want the best sound I can out of the speakers, but the receiver is new and I don't intend on replacing it. I'm also fairly uneducated about all this stuff, so I don't know much about it.

I guess my question is: with my receiver staying the same, would I have done better to get speakers that don't depend on 4 Ohms? Or will I be better off with the 350's and the non-certified onkyo? Clearly the best option is to get a 4 ohm-stable reciever and the 350's, but that just isn't an option for me.

Thanks, quick replies are appreciated, I don't have a lot of time to cancel my order (nor do I want to!)

#546 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. My receiver is certified for 6 ohms so I'm thinking it should be ok.

I considered getting the cherry 350's. Super attractive, but everything else of mine is black.

When you guys talk about a break-in period (they say 100 hours or so), do you just keep the volume low? I live in an apartment where I can hear the neighbor's phone ringing, so turning up the volume loud isn't really an option. Can you break in at normal volumes, such as typical TV watching volume (loud enough to hear, but low enough that one could have a side conversation in the same room).

I'm still breaking in my plasma, which is getting sort of annoying. Ah well, the price we pay for quality!

BTW, I ended up with the 350's in front, Athena Center, and 150's in the rear rather than the 350's, assuming I win them on eBay. Wish me luck!

#547 ·
I personally see no reason to buy the 550s. If you are going to use a sub anyway the extra bass response doesn't really help. The 550s are just physically too big and don't offer any real performance benefit.

I am using the 350s without a sub and they'll produce the heck out of a bass guitar.

The 550s have a larger midrange so I think vocal midrange would be worse than the 350s smaller speaker.

I did wish these speakers had more extension in the treble but I am extrememly happy with them. They are a true audio bargain.

I am listening to Mark Knopfler's Shang ri la right now and am happy as a pig in slop.

#548 ·
i love my 550's...

"if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.!"

can never have enough bass

they are big, and beautiful

i can assure you that the midrange is very good on the 550's...

i could have gotten the 350's...but i also could have gotten a v6, but settled for a v8

just messin, i will probably get 350's for the rear sound.

#549 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutdi /forum/post/13101701

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 350's from Vanns, they should be here next week. However, in reading back over the thread I read something that PULLIAMM wrote about the 350's needing a 4-ohm stable receiver to do their best. I have an Onkyo TX-SR505, which is not "certified" for 4-ohm performance.

Should be fine. Onkyo amps are known for their high-current output. My 350s sounded fabulous with an Onkyo C315 mini-system receiver (of course, they sound better with my new Cambridge Audio Azurs, but those are just better electronics all around.)

#551 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutdi /forum/post/13111537

Not only did the Vanns deal on the White Nanosats disappear ($500), but the black nanosats are now marked at their normal price of $800, and they still aren't in stock.

Sigh, those white Nanosats would have been perfect for me
. I suspect that maybe they did get a set of the White Nanosets in, sold it quickly, and the item lingered on their site? The Omni 260s were only there for a day or two before selling out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.